"Sew...Putting on the Master Astronaut Riz?" Reflect on that!

I wouldn't consider myself a hord core PTA mom, but by signing the "just when you need me" form at the beginning of the year I've had my share of business. In Matt's mind a mother with young kids at home should be exempt from having to help so I remind him, "We all have young kids at home." The mentallity that someday I'll help someone out or volunteer when I don't have any one around and no responsibilites doesn't "fly" for me. Therefore, I became an Astronaut on the night of Nov 4, 2010 at the elementary's A.P.P.L.E. Party (Active Parents Participating in Learning Experiences). At my station we learned about the first landing on the moon and space travel. I had to become some sort of expert in about five minutes. I had Katrina reading the facts to me for the first time on the way to the school. Another mom offered to make the costumes by using a disposable paint suit and logos from online (now that I have repainted my entire house I find out about a PAINT SUIT?) Really, the gal that offered to make it is one of those ultra SWEET people. My cheeks hurt from smiling after talking to her. She was the one to get down and dirty in mixing the moon sand so the kids could leave a handprint.

Meet the Masters is happening once again in both Ava and Grayson's classrooms. I go on the first Wednesday to train at 9 or 12, unless there isn't a first Tuesday, of every other month, except Dec when there is no Meet the Masters. I teach on the second Friday at 9 and 2:30 as long as there is a first Tuesday. If there is a Holiday the teaching is also pushed back a week but not the training. This are the instructions I was given. And yes, subsequently I have shown up when I wasn't teaching. I figure it's better than not showing up when I am teaching. Grayson is some sort of art master already. I noted that around his desk he has taped papers that he has decortated with BYU. He can barely get his legs under the desk. To each his own.

Next assignment, "Can you be a Print Shop Mom?" This assignment consists of going in on ODD Tuesday's and making copies for teachers in the teacher's workroom. There are two copy machines the RIZ is for copies of 50 or more. I didn't feel confused when I left the training but when I went back a couple of weeks later nothing seemed to make sense. I didn't want to drag the office secretary into it but I was desperate to ask her for help. She joined me in the workroom and got all flustered herself, "I'm going to tell these teachers that this is a service that mom's with little children are providing and they shouldn't take advantage." After she marched out I wanted to to call to her, "Don't tell them I said that!" The teacher that I was making copies for was in the workroom today and was being extra freindly and appreciative. I wondered if it had anything to do with the receptionists comments or if it's all in my head. Then I remembered that my life is somewhat of one misunderstanding after another! Somehow I'm able to get through the copying each week I don't know if it's exactly what the teacher wanted but it looks good to me!

Mallerie came home with the plea, "My Sewing teacher REALLY needs help on Thursday when our class makes pillowcases." I emailed her teacher to let her know that I have two small kids but if that was alright with her I'd come and help." The woman needed help so badly I could have emailed that I would be bringing a pitbull. I set up Katrina's portable DVD player for the babes in the back of the classroom and they did pretty good. Probably better than me. Man, a mom was needed for every student! Up to this point in the term the class had learned about the parts of the sewing machine and how to work it. Still some kid raised his hand, "I"ve got the strings tied in a knot, now what do I do?" NO KNOTS! I did my best to patiently go from machine to machine and the endless sea of raised hands. I was somewhat glad when the bell rang. Then her frazzled teacher asked, "Can you come tomorrow...and the next day...and everyday?" There was really only one more week left in the term but they would be sewing those blasted pillowcases each day till then. I think I only missed one day after that. It was when Graham's playgroup was here at the house. But it killed me to know her sweet teacher was there frazzled without enough help. In the end most the pillowcases can infact be put on a pillow. Mallerie sighed, "I'm so pleased with how mine turned out."

Then on my way out of the Middle School I ran into a mom that I know from the elementary school who is in charge of Reflections. She had just found out the week before that her baby she is carrying has Down Syndrome. There we were tearing up in the crowded hallway of the middle school. This will be her sixth baby, she already has a child with ADHD, another with Autism, and a daughter with hearing loss. Her burdens are much greater than mine right now. "Yes, I can easily help with Reflections." This week I'll find prizes for the winners and ribbons for the participants. I wish A or Gray were on the list. They can't seem to come up with an idea for the theme, "Together We Can." Mallerie drew and decorated a cool looking american flag for her school's theme.