Back in May when I had the open house for Matt's 40th birthday, someone brought him some sparkling cider (Jame's?). We put it in the back of the fridge for a couple of weeks because we had so many leftovers. Then at the beginning of June we got a second offer on the house. The first one had been in March (we countered, and never heard back). But this June offer was legit. It was made from the guy who would be taking over Matt's Heber position. Since our type of sale was new to the market our realtor told us it might be 30 days before things closed. We decided to hang on to that cider and toast when the house did close. Well, July came and went, August came and went, September, October, November came and went, and then came December.
In the mean time, we had found a lot we liked in South Jordan and a house plan that would work for our family. The builder convinced us to go ahead and choose colors for the house. This involved several trips to South Jordan's design center last summer where details such as the color of grout was decided upon. This was not drudgery for me AT ALL. Designing a house from start to finish was fun. Though stewing over details kept me up more than one night I'll admit. That was not a bad thing either, the occupations kept my mind off of my troubles that were the basis of wanting to move in the first place. I also continued to do what was in my power to smooth out the situation around me. Things were improving. Still though, smooth or not, we had our hearts set on moving. The kids were being fairly good sports about it but High School is not an easy age to move and so Katrina was our biggest concern.
At one point in the spring we had even decided that staying in Heber is what would be best for the family as a whole. We fell in love with a new construction home that was once a model but had fallen into foreclosure and was DRASTICALLY reduced. The hang up was the small yard, but the extra's more than made up for it. Matt and I discover that the back sliding door lock was broken. This enabled us to go over there whenever we wanted, which was often I'll admit. We'd walk all around, open closets, and talk about possibilities. We usually had Graham and Callie with us so when we'd pull up, the'd say, "Yea, we're going to this house again!" So we put an offer in on this house in the spring but the bank was being a turtle at getting back to us. In the mean time we moved our hearts to the South Jordan lot. It was then that we knew for sure that Matt had gotten the job position he wanted in West Valley. My concern for the South Jordan lot was it's proximity to Bangerter Hwy. I'm not used to freeway sounds and didn't know if I would ever get used to it. But this lot was literally in the shadows of the temple. How could we not feel good about it? Besides Matt wouldn't have an hour commute each day to work. However, as the weeks turned to months and our home STILL had not closed, the builder said he could no longer hold our lot. We totally understood because both of us feel that if things are supposed to work out then they will, if they don't, then they weren't suppose to. I was surprised I was able to feel this way. Who am I to try and plan out my life when I can't see the big picture? In the mean time the people who wanted to buy our house were living with inlaws in Ogden and commuting to Heber each day for work and school (towards the end they were even living in a hotel). But alas, December came and with it the news that the bank had reject the sale for the third time and that was that. It was not going to happen.
That night Matt and I broke open the bottle of sparkling cider (heck, I even made some creme brule to go with it). We toasted to our new home. The one we were sitting in.
In addition to this, I have learned some valuable lessons:
- TIMING is important.
- The Lord LOVES me enough to not give me everything I want.
- The power of HOPE can not be underestimated.
- Another thing; even though Matt swears up and down that he does NOT mind the commute, the kids are still concerned for him. I was so touched at the girls response when I told them we would be staying in our house for now. They said with genuine worry and concern, "So Dad is just going to keep making that long drive?" Their concern was immediately on him instead of celebrating that they would be with their friends. I have so much to be GRATEFUL for.
Cheers.
