For Eyes, Four Teeth

Within a week of each other Katrina lost four teeth and Grayson gained two new eyes.

The closest periodontist our insurance covers is in Draper. I took Katrina the morning of January 26th to have not only her wisdom teeth out but also crown lengthening done on two of her teeth. I wasn't sure how long the procedures would take or what I was to do while it was being done. I didn't' want to seem heartless and ask if I could go to IKEA. But after Katrina had taken her sedation pills the nurse said, "You'll want to just go on errands and we'll call you when she's about 15 min away from being ready to go home." I spent the entire time at Ikea, browsing and having a cup of tea infront of the huge windows as I watched the rain. It would have been a perfectly relaxing day for a girl to spend her time except that I kept worrying all would be well with Katrina. My wisdom teeth experience didn't go so well if you recall. Anyway, just as I was loading my goods into the car the office called. I figure nearly 3 hours had passed. Katrina was red and swollen and a bit out of it when I arrived. The nurse helped her into the car and I was so glad I had picked up a pillow and blanket at IKEA for Katrina on the way home. The car ride home was much quieter than the ride there had been. I noted to Katrina that one good song after another was playing on the radio the whole way to Draper. She agreed. She was just as red when we got home and the nurses determined she may be having an allergic reaction to the penicillin and they called in a different antibiotic. Katrina didin't bounce back right away and ate soft food it seemed like for a week. When she did come upstairs she'd have a scarf tied around her face. She even went to a friends house and watched  a movie like that. I probably should have waited till summer so she didn't miss so much school but I'd rather get procedures done early in the year so we know where we are at with our insurance. I know the whole thing was very uncomfortable for her but she was a good sport. Our dentist gave her a syringe to clean out the sockets. I asked her if she was using it a few days later. She said no because it just sucks out blood and hurts. Oh no! I told her she wasn't supposed to suction with it, rather squirt water to flush out the socket. See, she still needs me. Even if she denies it;)




Grayson brought a note home from the school nurse that he hadn't passed the eye exam. I figured we should probably get a professional exam but with the holidays we got busy. It wasn't until we went to a BYU Basketball game in January and Gray couldn't see the score board that Matt decided we needed to have Grayson's eyes checked. Because you HAVE to be able to see the score board. Our old home teacher is a local optometrist and so it was easy to get in, and out for that matter. We were only at the office for an hour and that included the exam and the glasses being made. Grayson actually got to come home in his glasses. He didn't' care which kind he got as long as they were blue. He loves them. He told me that when he tried them on on in the store the voice in his head said, '"Yesssssss." That night as I tucked him into bed he said he had seen the receipt for his glasses in the bag. He said, "Sorry." I said, "It's okay."  he said, "Thank you for the glasses."

He's got a real tender side. Other times he is just Grayson. His class went on a field trip to BYU for a Ballet performance. He hated it. He said, "The dancers were totally ignoring us," (since they never looked at the crowd), "and the music had NO WORDS." Matt agreed, "The ballet can take a flying leap. " How ironic. I reminded them, "That is what they do."