OHS Class of 1994 Reunion Thanksgiving Point Barn June 21, 2014
Our class met earlier in the day for a service project at Rocky Mountain Park to do some spring clean up. If I moved my hands as much as my mouth I might have actually been helpful, "I've got a bad back..."
Dinner that night was at the Thanksgiving Point Barn. It was wonderful to see everyone. I chose to eat with my Laurels. Four are missing from this photo, so you can see we were quite a group. It was lovely to see them all doing so well in life. I felt like Alma did when he ran into his brothers and discovered that they were all still his brethren in the Lord. These are all faithful women. We were taught by great leaders and mothers.
L to R: Abby, Betsy, Cecily, Corey, Melanie, Anne-Marie, and Joy.
Back row L to R clockwise: Cecily, Abby, Anne-Marie, Sheri, Amy, Amy, Melanie, Corey, and Joy!
I believe that those we have spiritual experiences with in life give us a deeper connection in the long run. Also at the dinner were the gal's from the neighboring ward, Mel's cousins Lori and Rachel, as well as Kirst who I have known for over 30 years. Matt was very patient as the only husband while I fluttered around and visited and was good to strike up conversations himself.
We were sorely missing MISSY. BUT she came out the very next week from Kansas so the Quad could hook up for dinner. BFF's Forever!
Me with Missy, Kirsten, and Melanie.
Next up? Celebrating TWENTY years of marriage!
We worked it out for Romney to be the one in charge while we would be away Monday-Thursday the week of August 25th-28th. Had I examined these dates more closely I probably would have been back sooner so I would be around for my baby's first day of Kindergarten. When I told this to Matt he reminded me, "But it's OUR 20 year!" I was thankful that I had put Callie in JR Smith's Pre-School last year so I have already experienced walking her in to that school as a newbie.
We used Matt's frequent flyer miles to fly to Seattle on Monday August 25th. Unbeknownst to Matt we had been switched from Delta to Alaskan airlines and therefore would have to pay for our bags. We didn't use half the things we brought and could have easily fit our things into a carry on but it was too late and we paid $25 a bag each, both ways. yeah. gulp.
We got to airport plenty early and had a good hour and half or so before our flight left. As I sat in the terminal and saw everyone with zombie faces watching the cable station above them I thought, "I can not sit here this long!" I had an errand to run anyway. I needed to find Matt a watch. Talk about waiting till the 11th hour! I had been so completely stumped as to what to get him. I knew he was getting me a pendant so I really wanted to have something for him. Twenty years is a big deal after all. The day before we left he mentioned that he had left his watch in a hotel somewhere and missed having one. This wasn't said as a hint, just as a matter of fact. It was so factual that it still didn't occur to me that this would be a good gift till I was sitting in sacrament meeting praying for inspiration!
On our way to the terminal I had seen a watch shop and so I headed there. They were the wrong kind but she said they have another store in terminal D. Three catwalks away I found the store and found the watch the second I walked in. It was so...Matt. The gal offered to gift wrap it for me and had a heck of a time trying to make the tape on the red tissue paper not show. I was enjoying watching her and kept reassuring her, "It's for a man." Then on my way back to terminal A, I saw a mani express salon. Hmmm, I really wished that my nails were in better shape for this trip. I texted Matt to see if I had time, he advised against it.....but I got the mani. I got back to the terminal in the nick of time to board. I love the color so much that I am tempted to call the airport and find out the name.
The flight wasn't long. By the time we were served snacks and watched an episode on Matt's I pad we were approaching Seattle. He told me to look out my window for Mt. Rainier. I looked closely for a mountain sticking above the clouds, "Is that it?" He'd look, "No, it'll be bigger." When I saw it I did not doubt, "I see it. " It is striking above the clouds at 14,000 feet.
As we landed on the tarmac I said, "I see the Space Needle too!" He was so perplexed, "Really???????" I pointed to the flight tower and got a good laugh out of him.
Without even exploring other options to get downtown we looked for a cab. Matt asked an employee, "Hey where are the cabs lined up?" I liked the employee's answer, "Hello, how are you today? The cabs are lined up across the catwalk." A gentle reminder to always use a proper greeting ;)
The cab was so stuffy and warm. By the time we reached the freeway Matt and I both couldn't take it anymore and had our windows down. I don't know how our driver could stand it with his head all wrapped in that turban. At least his hair didn't blow around.
Matt had made reservations at the Marriott Waterfront, which was lovely. He kept throwing around that we were celebrating TWENTY years to the gal checking us in and she upgraded us to the concierge floor. It was lovely to stand on the deck of our room and see the Puget Sound with the boats coming and going. Even if you were blind you would know you were by the water with the sounds and smells. Sniiiifff....."ahhhhhh."
We headed right across the street for some fish and chips and mahi mahi tacos. We ate outside on the pier and were simply thrilled to be there! I kept saying, "TWENTY YEARS."
From there we walked down the board walk and got ice cream. We got to the Argosy Cruise Harbor Tours and Matt signed us up. After the boat ride in Long Beach that went on and on and ON I was a bit hesitant, and I didn't know how much more wind my hair could take! The boat ride wasn't as long though, which was a good thing. Our guide also had lots of interesting facts about the skyline and sound. Why is it called a sound instead of a bay? Because it has two outlets instead of one. These are the things we learned. I only got a few dizzy spells and would just lay my head down for a while till they passed. Still, I was glad to get on dry land.
After a stop in a gift shop we were worn out from traveling and touring. We walked back to the hotel and I took a nap while Matt tried to find something to watch. He was unsuccessful. That night as we went for some refreshment in the lounge that concierge host told us of things we could do and see. She too recommended the underground tour. The brochure hadn't appealed to us but she was the second one to recommend it in as many days. We headed out on foot to try and catch the last tour at nine. About five till we realized that we still had a long way to walk and that the last tours are actually at 7 pm. Instead we ate at recommended Etta's. It tasted delish. I texted Katrina that I got a butter lettuce salad with crab, grapefruit, and avocado tossed in a citrus vinaigrette. I wanted to try oysters and figured Seattle was a good place to do that. The waitress strongly discouraged trying theirs for the first time though. She said they are too briny. She wrote down a few for me to try elsewhere but the chance never presented itself. We shared the coconut pie afterwards. So yummy.
We didn't realize we were walking through Pikes market because all the shops had their garage doors down and lights were out. It wasn't until the next morning when we went back that we realized we were in the heart of the city all along. It was beautiful! The market, the stands, the flowers, the fruit; we couldn't believe it. We were awoken that morning to a text from Katrina wishing us, "Happy Anniversary!" I told Matt, "That is not a bad thing to wake up to! A thoughtful text from your adult daughter." We had other reminders of the kids as well. One of Callie's socks was balled up in Matt's sock. I found a lego in the pockets of my jeans. No wonder our suit cases were so heavy. I called home one day but only caught Ava. She filled me in on all they were doing. After a while I said, "Well we are having a great time too, thanks for asking ;)"
Matt picked me up a bunch of flowers to put in the hotel room.
We saw the famous Pikes Place Market where they throw the fish. When they would start to throw fish people would hurry and gather round with their video camera's. The guys reminded the crowd, "You buy, we throw, this is how it works." We pressed on since we didn't intend to buy a 50 pound fish.
From Pikes we walked to Pioneer Square for the Underground tour. We should have trusted our gut and gone with our disinterest after reading the brochure. It was "eh." Mostly just sort of yucky to be down in the tunnels that smelled dank and hearing how they were once infested with raw sewage, rats, and prostitutes. Eh.
As we walked back to Pikes for lunch I had to talk myself out of feeling like we were wasting our day. There were other more interesting tours I had read about and had pangs of regret. I had really wanted to try Seattle's award winning chowder for lunch but by the time we walked back and I waited in line, a bowl of hot soup was the last thing I felt like. I didn't know if I'd have another chance to get it though so I sat in the shade and and ate. It was pretty good!
Matt was pooped and wanted to rest up or head straight to the Space Needle for the rest of the day but I didn't, I wanted to shop. We were close enough to the hotel that he could have easily gone back but he came along with me. We found some things at Ross and TJ's. As we waited on the street corner a very mangy lady kept smiling at me. She said, "You look so nice today. Really nice." I said, "Thaaaanks." She continued, "I haven't even taken a shower." I was going to say something to her but Matt said it was time to cross the street. In hind sight I really wished I had said something like, "You are a daughter of God, you are beautiful." I really really wish I would have said that.
I felt ill prepared all around when it came to spreading God's love and His word. I don't travel in big cities often enough to remember there are so many opportunities. I will be more prepared next time. I do my best in my own town but it is just different in a big city. There are so many hollow people.
There was a lady on the street walking towards us. I thought, "See she looks normal." Then as she got closer I thought, "Well maybe that bun is a bit out of proportion." As she passed us she was humming a freaky tune.
After shopping a bit we were now both ready to rest up. After doing so and then changing for our big date we took a cab to the Space Needle.
We rode up the outdoor elevator just as the sun was beginning to set. We had a bird's eye view of Chihuly's Garden and Glass directly below us and could see right through the roof. The colorful glass formations were lit up and glistening. Chihuly is the company who made the sculpture at Abravenal Hall in SLC, so picture some more of that. Lot's more.

Because we were dining at the Sky City Restaurant we got a complimentary view from the observation deck above. It feels a bit surreal being 600 feet in the air. Because of the slant of the view or something I didn't' have that vertigo feeling. The 360 degree views are spectacular.

Our reservation wasn't till 8:45 at night but it was worth the wait. Our table was right next to the window. The restaurant rotates so every time you look up you have a different view. It takes 45 minutes to make a full rotation so it wasn't like it was hard to walk or anything;) Also the kitchen and waiting area in the center don't spin, picture Rattle Snake Rapids turn table. Though it doesn't move that fast and you don't get wet. Okay, it really isn't anything like Rattle Snake Rapids. Never mind.
We were presented with an anniversary card that we stuck on the windowsill so other people could sign it as they went by. There were other notes as well, "Where are you from?" Someone was brave enough to have their phones on record and perched there. Afterwards I told Matt we should have staged a proposal as we went by. OR how about perching a stack of pass-along cards? See? Another missed opportunity. Even on the cab ride home we got into a discussion with the cab driver about being married so long and what values have held us together. I needed a booklet, anything!
It was a lovely evening, in a beautiful setting, celebrating something momentous, with someone very special! To Twenty!
We started the next day the same way by heading to Pikes. On the corner as we crossed the street two vagabond women were in a yelling fight saying things that should only be said in the tunnels. I looked again, and told Matt, "That is my lady!" It was the one who said she hadn't showered. See, I should have TOLD her! As we walked through Pikes on our way to Westlake Center Matt said, "It feels like Groundhog Day." The same vendors were setting up their booths, the same bearded man was wailing away on his guitar, the same samples were thrust at us. At Westlake Center we caught the Ride the Duck's tour. It started out on land and then the bus turned into a duck and took us around Union Bay. We absolutely loved seeing the houseboats. Our tour guide was great and put on a different hat every time he switched the music. It's true what they say, "It's a party on wheels!" It was really the only way we could have seen the water/residential neighborhoods because we are not ducks!The tan and blue house boat below is the one that Sleepless in Seattle was filmed at. TOM was here. Not that Tom, but still!
Back on land our guide took us to many of the places we had already walked on foot. I saw my lady again at the same crosswalk. I smiled and waved. I don't think she saw me.
Other interesting things we did that day was visit Seattle's Glass Blowing Studio where we watched students in action.
The guy was thrilled to tell us ALL about it. We told him about Abravenal Hall's display from Chihuly. He said, "The state of Utah doesn't have enough money in the entire state to buy the biggest pieces they offer." He kind of turned us off after that. BUT he did give us some good material to work with as we walked away.
Glass blowing is a big deal in Seattle we realized. Even the centerpiece in the lobby of our hotel was made of blown glass. I bought a glass flower in a glass orb from a street vendor to remember that.
We saw the space needle in the daylight and had a chance to stretch out on the lawn. Whenever I see it I start singing, "Meet George Jetson..."
We enjoyed absolutely perfect weather. Each day the temperature ranged from 70-80 degrees.
We ate delicious cupcakes and I had a chicken crepe from the mall. I think I enjoyed watching her make it more than I enjoyed eating it.
Pop Art
I found a store called Fireworks Gallery where I loved looking at every single interesting thing and walked away with something special.
After lots of walking that day, our tired legs needed a cab to get us to Pier 52. We wanted to take the ferry out to Bainbridge Island (with Katrina just moving into Branburry we kept getting it mixed up with Bainbridge). The Ferry is a lot like the Staten Island ferry in that it is practically free because it is a commuter ferry. The bottom layer is where all the cars park. As we docked we watched the bikers line up like they were ready for the tour de France. They are followed by the motorcyclists and then the cars. We couldn't believe how quickly they got everyone off. Hundreds of cars and thousands of people unloaded and loaded back up in a matter of 15 minutes.
We found a Mexican restaurant and sat outside. The island is great (the service is not ;) It feels completely residential/rural compared to Seattle. I can see why you would trouble with that Ferry every day if you lived there.
The ride back gave a beautiful view of the skyline at night. Just breathtaking. I had to go stand outside despite the breeze to get a better view.
We got in early enough to watch a movie. I chose a bow wow. It's a risk you take with Adam Sandler;)
Thursday was our last day. Before taking a cab to Bellevue I wanted to walk Pikes one more time for some souvenirs. I bought some chocolate raspberry pasta that I am anxious to try.
We bought matching shirts from this lady so we went back two days later for her to get a photo of us. She seemed real tickled. So were we!
We sat down at a table facing the water and enjoyed some magnificent fruit. I got a nectarine and Matt a peach, both were juicy and perfectly ripe.
It was about a half an hour ride to the Seattle Temple. Our cab driver asked us if it was a Hotel. We told him it is a house of Worship and there are 140 more around the world. I love to see a new one whenever we are out of town. The Seattle Temple is pretty as can be but after coming from the Ogden open house, it also seemed as plain as can be. Nonetheless, we enjoyed our time there and even got to see a bridal party out front as we waited for another cab to pick us up.
With traffic the way it was and a mix up as to which airline we were returning home on, we were cutting it really close as we waited in line to pass through security. I trusted that we would somehow make our plane though because the cause of our delay was that we were at the temple. Matt sidled out of line and went and talked to the lady at the Premier line. She let him in line and then motioned me through as well. This saved us so much time! We were pretty hungry though; that fruit had been a long time ago. We bought some salads and sandwiches and sat down to eat when our row was called to board. Matt has a thing with people who eat right when they get on a plane. He always wonders why people wait to bring their stinky food on the plane. Well, we were those people this time. Seattle is very big on recycling. I get that, but when the stewardess opened my leftover salad container full of trash and dumped it and then saved the container? That is taking it too far even in my book.
Just as Romney had dropped us off at the airport she was there to pick us up as well. It worked out great! We took her over to the train station so she could get back to Elko. I felt bad leaving her for a four hour wait. We sooo appreciated her willingness to come and stay with the kids and be so happy and positive about all of it. She chatted about what they did while we were gone. Callie was especially happy to have her here. Good times for all!










































