April 2016

An Old-Fashioned Senior Prom April 23, 2016

Mallerie went with Josh Reece, her best good running.The way that he asked her was by setting up a scavenger hunt around town...no it was around the VALLEY. The first clue was up by the girls camp sign, and the second clue was out in Midway at Wasatch State Park. From there we went out to the Lake! She knew it was him from the very first clue so she suggested we just go back home because it was a bit chilly and was getting late. I like Josh and so I went to the trouble of driving her from place to place. Insisting really. At the lake we read the clue wrong so we were about to give up when her friend Liz came out of the bushes and whispered, "The clue is on the beach!" There Mallerie found Josh waiting! He would have been standing out there all night had we gone home. 
There were other clues along the way at church buildings, and Kneaders. The other kids were good helpers finding the clues. I was a good helper eating the chocolates that came with the clues.

I am calling this an old fashioned prom because they kept it very sensible. He wore a suit, she wore a dress that I sewed. Mallerie and I both had something different in our minds of how the dress would turn out but I couldn't find any fabric. I have never run into this problem before where no matter how many fabric stores I went into I came out empty handed. My phone was full of fabric samples I sent to her. As the date drew near I had to get the closet thing I could find to what we wanted, which wasn't very close. The inspiration for her dress was Wendy's nightgown from Peter Pan. 
Josh's mom made the corsage and it was amazingly beautiful and went perfectly with her dress. 
The boutonnière was a silk one we had left from Katrina's wedding.
Who are we kidding, I always have to step in and actually pin on the boutonnière.
They spend a lot of time running and hanging out together. I was glad she would be enjoying the evening with someone she was comfortable with.
What I like about Josh is that I don't worry when Mallerie is out with him. She has come home from dates in the past where I made sure every light in the house was on and the windows were open with the porch light barring. As I hear them walking up to the porch I start pushing in chairs and making noise. Hehe. But when she is out with Josh I go put on movie and relax.
Look at those adorable faces.
There is a boy at school who really struggles to find a friend group so they doubled with him and his date. They didn't do a day date, they ate dinner at Josh's house, and Mallerie got them in free to the dance because she is on Student Government. 
My friend was telling me a different story about her son's experience. About how her son felt obligated to rent a tux because his date's dress cost hundreds of dollars, I think they may have rented a limo as well, and they ate at a swanky place. Not to mention the trouble and expense they went to for the day date. The whole evening cost a fortune. Mallerie recounted her evening with Josh, "I don't think he spent anything." And it was great. It was sensible and great.
After the dance when Mal was recounting her night to me, I asked what feedback she got on her dress. She said, "People said, 'You can actually pull that off Mallerie.'" Ha! But it is true. Mallerie is one of those gals that could throw on a flour sack and look amazingly adorable.

And look at adorable Kitten Cat Ava on the train.

I wonder where she got her inspiration?

General Conference Monkey Bread!

Young Women PRESIDENT

On Valentines Day I was released as the Stake Young Women Secretary as well as the rest of our our Stake Young Women Presidency. It was about that time. Trek planning meetings started happening on a regular basis so I was glad to not be in two callings at once. When people would ask if I had a new calling yet I'd remind them, "I'm a Trek Ma." However, I just had that sense that something was coming my way. Soon before Trek the Bishop called Matt and I into his office an extended the call to me to serve as the Young Women's President of our ward. I never thought I'd ask but I said, "You're sure?" He said he was sure and that I could take the next couple of weeks to think about councilors. I had my time on trek to also ponder and watch the Young Women interact. I came up with a list of names and took them to the temple. I decided to go to the Provo City Center Temple without realizing that conference weekend is one of their busiest times. Not to mention that it had only been open a few weeks. I had to sit in the waiting area before I could even go change. I tried to read the scriptures but had to chuckle to myself that it felt more like I was sitting in the center of Grand Central Station. 

I was sustained April 17, 2016 and just jumped right in. The transition time is always a bit awkward on all ends and I knew that going in. I was blessed with so much strength and power by the Lord during the transition it amazed me. I wasn't amazed in the sense that I didn't think he could do it, it just felt amazing.
This is a picture of our first brain storming Camp Meeting where our theme was "Covenant Keepers." I think one thing that aided in my confidence was the fact that I was coming off years of amazing training by the sisters I worked with in the Stake. That was the hardest part about being released, that we wouldn't be serving together. We really got close. Close enough that I know these ladies will always be in my life. In fact, whenever I have a lunch date with them I say, "I am going with my ladies." I hope to build similar camaraderie with my new presidency. 

JR Smith Spring pictures


I usually forget it is even spring picture day because I only buy fall pictures, so I am always somewhat amused to see what the picture packets look like when they came home. I opted to not buy them but took a photo with my phone first before putting them back in their backpacks. Callie piped up, "I don't think they want you to do that." Oh man, she is so right. 

Goodbye to Raegan! Good Thymes

Since Mallerie wouldn't be able to come with us to Elko for the farewell, a bunch of us girls met at Good Thyme in Provo for a farewell dinner. It was a lovely evening visiting and eating delicious food. I haven't dared go back though because the ordering is complicated. Items are categorized by such things as, "Proteins, Hot sides, and Farmer's Market." I couldn't make sense of it. And here I have ordering phobia anyway. Katrina saved the day and told us to sit down while she ordered. Wow. We had delicious salads and a squash soup that we still talk about. My only complaint was the eager beaver bus boy who kept asking if he could take our plates. I had to grab onto the side of one at one point to tell him we weren't done. It became a thing where we would see him approaching and we would have to say, "Put a fork in your mouth, act like you are eating!"

We have a mower people.

Field Trip to the Post Office
April 27, 2016
Callie has noticed my lack of presence in her classroom. I do tend to volunteer in Graham's class more often due to the lack of other willing moms. Callie's class has a lot of willing moms. However, the day they were walking to tour Rancho Markets and the post office I was able to go. Callie was so delighted when I walked into Rancho. 

Her class gathering for a cold treat along the way.
At the Post Office we went into the sorting room. It struck me how unsecure a P.O. Box looks from the back. The wall was just a bunch of cubbies whereas from the front they are secure locked boxes. However, I realized that if you stuck your arm into the front of your box all the way you could probably reach around and take out someone else mail. Huh.

I also found interest in this vintage, but still be working, soda machine. I sent a picture to my Pepsico husband. (50 cents!)

Callie is the third from the right on the back.

Teaser
And here is a little Tease leading up to the post about Mallerie's Senior Pictures. This meant a lot to her and she found a great photographer. We met at an orchard just down from 7 peaks on April 20, 2016. I wish I could've bottled the air temperature and the smell of the blossoms that day. It was beyond perfect. It was paradise.
Mallerie wanted to bring a few changes of clothing for her pictures so we had our wardrobe helpers, and bouquet makers handy. I really had to twist Callie's arm for her to come but she was glad she did.



I thought to myself, "These pictures are going to turn out lovely, boy did they ever. Oh boy.