July 28, 2016
We surprised Graham and Callie at the end of July with a
four-day San Diego get-a-way. Their bags were already packed and in the car
when we woke them up a 6 am. By the time we got to Mesquite, NV we were ready
to stretch our legs at our usual place, Veterans Park. We could feel the hot
July air as soon as we got out of the car. However, for us, the air was also
filled with excitement!
Residence Inn
It wasn't surprising that Graham and Callie wanted to swim
as soon as we got to the hotel. They are little sea horses those two. We got
good use of the pool during our stay at the Residence Inn. We were only able to
get them out of the pool by promising some dinner. While we ate at the Mexican
Restaurant across the street the Democratic convention was playing on TV. It
was still on when we got back to the hotel. Graham came into our room and
noted, "Hillary Clinton is being very negative towards Donald Trump."
JULY 29, 2016
At Breakfast Matt grabbed a bunch of Legoland brochures to
look at. He said, "It looks like Legoland is pretty close to here."
Graham's eyes lit up but not like they would have if he was genuinely
surprised. He could see right through us, and we could see right through him,
but it was fun to pretend! Matt continued, "Should we go check it
out??" Both Graham and Callie shouted "YAY!!!
-->
This was me and Matt's third trip to Legoland. We took Katrina and Mallerie when they were little in 2001, then again with Ava and Grayson in 2004. When Graham looks at past vacation books he wonders when HE will get to go. Out of all our kids he is the one most interested in Lego's. He even saved two BOGO coupons from his Lego magazine. They expired the last day of July so thats he why he knew something was up...
This was another reason we needed to go to Legoland when we
did, Graham had almost outgrown it at age 9.
At age 7 Callie was excited about our stop in Lego Friends
Land....Graham, not so much.
While Graham and Matt built with Lego's, Callie and I rode the Carousel. We each had our own Lego Horsey.
The Lego cars were the hit of the day. Graham and Callie
drove them over and over again. The cars were not on tracks so they could drive
them wherever they wanted through the Lego City. They were even handed a
drivers license.
We got a chuckle watching some kids drive on the wrong side
of the road and right through the stop sign. Graham and Callie did pretty well!
Graham couldn't wipe the smile off his face and in that moment, it was all
worth it.
We have photos of Katrina and Mallerie at this mummy. Some things in life change...some things stay the same.
Miniland
Las Vegas is so detailed as well as New York. There were
working fountains and running subways. The detail was unreal. We loved
Legoland!!!
Snore Wars
We thought that Graham would be much more interested in the
limited time Star Wars scenes made out of Lego's. I think he thought it would
be a ride so looking at more minis didn't cut it.
Graham saw a ride on the map that he was begging to go on.
We walked over to it and watched it before committing. It was awful! It lifted
people up and started spinning and jerking them like it was trying to throw
them off. Matt and I knew there was no way we would stomach it. We were
relieved when even Graham said, "NO WAY." We found a MUCH tamer ride
in the vicinity. Giddy up!
NINJAGO
We gave Ninjago the "most misleading" award. The
brochure made it seem like something different entirely. We were almost to the
front of the half- hour line when the ride was closed due to technical
difficulties. We were able to ride it later in the day. We were glad we did.
Graham put together a lego car before I had even caught up
with him. The race was just starting. He won!
CHILL TIME
I made a BIG blunder at the end of the day: There were two
water rides that I thought looked fun and I insisted we go on them. There
wasn't a line, which was nice. But like, literally NO one was in the line. The
boat arrived, and the kids who were sitting in the front row climbed to the
second row to ride again. We thought they were dripping wet because they had
been riding over and over again. Nope. It only took once.
JULY 30, 2016
SEAPORT VILLAGE
Just like a brochure, we were a family of four. We enjoyed
lunch at a restaurant overlooking the bay. It was a bit overpriced. After we
left the restaurant we rounded the corner to a much more affordable farmers
market. I guess eating at swanky places is another perk of being a party of
four.
TROLLEY TOUR
Our stops included Seaport Village, Horton Plaza, Coronado
Island, and Old Town. At Seaport village as I was looking through a gift shop
with the kids, Callie saw a dream catcher. She asked to buy it, certain that it
would be the answer to ever having a bad dream again. The lady at the register
told us that an Indian Elder had blessed it. Even though we don't think that
did a darn thing, it is a beautiful thought and we thanked her. (Btw, I have
heard that people who have nightmares are also the most creative people. In
Callie's case I think that is true.)
Boy I am glad I saw this place in its glory days. When we
took Katrina and Mallerie there as little girls there was a two story FAO
Schwartz, but I don't think they have done one upgrade since then. So many
stores have closed. It is such a massive place it could really use some TLC.
Matt took Graham to Game Stop (that place gives me a headache) so Callie and I
went to Macy's. Afterwards we found a Ben and Jerry's and then high tailed it.
I thought the kids would be more interested in the view from
the bridge as we left the bay but they seemed more engrossed in their own
conversation. We did however see areas of the city we would not have seen
otherwise, and learned a few things as well. Just don't quiz me.
OLD TOWN
We found all sorts of interesting and unique things to look
at in Downtown San Diego. Honestly, I think we could have stayed right there
all day and been perfectly happy. There was an Indian band playing the most
beautiful music, the air was perfect, the kids were gems, it was a great
evening. Oh, and we were SHOPPING.
BEACH
We drove to the Pier and were lucky to find a spot to park
right on the road. It took a tricky parallel parking job by Matt but he was up
to the task with his back up camera (and we were in a compact car).
We walked to Mission Bay. We didn't have a lot of daylight
left but the kids used every minute we were there digging in the sand and
running in the waves.
I had some sand toys stashed away in the trunk that we
pulled out at the beach. There is just something magical about the ocean.
Graham and Callie get along SO nicely, which truly made for
a dream vacation. Neither Matt nor I could recall a time we had to tell them to
stop, or settle down, or quit fighting. They are happy and positive and just as
sweet as can be! When two souls are this pleasant it is hard not to grant their
every desire. They will forever be, the babies.
JULY 31, 2016
We left on Sunday July 31st to drive back to Utah. We
stopped in Colton California to attend Sacrament Meeting. It was a real nice
town. Because of this stop though, our trip was extended and the drive home
seemed so long! I was extremely sleepy as we drove through the Mojave Desert.
Matt and I were listening to the book, "The Long Walk." We listened
as Slawomir described the brutal journey through the Gobi dessert. He described
extreme thirst, swollen tongues, hunger, and fatigue. As the 100+ degree
temperature baked our windshield, we could relate all too well. I wanted to
drift off to sleep so badly but stayed awake to be Matt's co-pilot. I feared he
was feeling the same way. Notwithstanding our extreme trials we were able to
make it home safe and sound that evening;)


