A Fair Affair - August 13, 2017
Fair Days!
Monday was the talent find. Katrina came to the party in park to see Savannah sing; in fact she sat with the Gordon's. I was dumbfounded when this man came and stood right in front of us for a looooong chat. It would be fascinating to see what his brain looks like dissected.
Tuesday I finally went over and saw the new pool during the pool party. Callie came and did the floating obstacle course, which was floating over 5 feet of water so she was pretty brave (or I was brave for allowing her).
We drove to Lehi on Tuesday night for a good-bye BBQ for MaJo.
We brought back Vi and Iv since Ashley had girl's camp. We got to have them for
the Wednesday night movie in the park, Moana.
The three girls
fell fast asleep as soon as the movie started. Dad and I and Gray had to make
trip after trip to the car afterwards carrying sleeping babes, chairs, and
blankets. I always think I will remember what a hassle it is but I forget and
do it again year after year. One morning for breakfast the girls said they were thirsty so I poured them each a glass of milk. As I was cleaning up I noticed someone had run off without finishing their milk. I found out it was Ivy. I asked, "Do you want to finish your milk?" She looked at me like I was crazy, "I'm not even thirsty now!"
Thursday I entered our pillowcases from girls camp; we each got a blue ribbon. The kids entered Legos among other things. As I was entering them the Monday before my phone rang and it was Mal! She was calling from the airport on her way to Colorado. I was finally at the front of the line but I told the gal, "I have to take this call!" I hurried into the other room where I could pretend I wasn't about to burst into tears. When I got off the phone the lady had been going through my notebook as she entered the kids projects. She said, "This is very organized, I thought I'd go ahead and get started." I appreciated that. And that.
During the week we enjoyed time at the park, tea parties, and flying Barbie's.
Friday While I was at the pool party on Tuesday my friend from the Chamber of Commerce came up and gave me four tickets to Friday night's Zermatt outdoor concert. It was for a group called Fleetwood Nix. I didn't know if I was interested but she said, "I am having a real hard time giving these out." Shafer and Lindsey and the boys were
staying at a cabin in Midway so we brought our kids over there and us four adults went out. First we ate at Wildfire Smokehaus at Zermatt. When the waitress gave Lindsey and me our pulled pork she said to Lindsey, "I'm sorry that yours doesn't look very good, I can take it back and have them switch it out." Lindsey's looked just like mine so we were very confused. Lindsey kept her food but we both agreed it is not a good idea for a waitress to set your food down and then tell you that it doesn't look very good! LT said, "She must be in a fight with the kitchen staff." When the waitress brought Shafer's root beer out she said, "That looks really watered down, you don't have to keep it."
We took our time eating and caught the last hour of the concert outside. It was a beautiful night in a beautiful setting with special people. The band sounded great even though it wasn't really our kind of music and the crowd was well...they seemed like they had had some Colorado brownies!We sure had our share of weddings this summer! I remember going to my parent’s house as a newlywed and seeing stacks of wedding announcements on the microwave. I asked my mom, " Why so many?" She said, "We are just at that stage of life." Well I can see now that I am at that stage of life, which is odd. I had the invites taped to the mirror in the kitchen and Matt noted, "They all look like the same couple." I used to keep up with sending a gift of a card if I couldn't attend. Now? Forget it!
Those we did attend
were lovely. One couple plans to live in a van after they are married as we
were leaving; the bride's sister was toilet papering the van. I said,
"Hey, that is the best gift here, they will probably save that."
As we were watching this couple dance, I realized I had
written McKayla and KENYON on the card! I had Dad go home and bring me a new
card so I could address it to McKayla and KAYSON. Why do people name their kids
so similar???? Oh wait, Grayson, Graham...

On Sunday August 5th we left after the second
hour of church and AVA drove us DOWN THE CANYON and ON THE FREEWAY to Kalei's
baby blessing. Kei gave me the baby to hold during the meeting. I said to Matt,
"I guess you bring the baby up there when it is time for
the blessing." When it was time Ademir tried putting a big bow on the
baby's head but it kept slipping off. He finally just stuffed it in his pocket.
We ate a park called Neptune Park afterwards. It was very
otherworldly.
On
a church note:
Gray
was expressing how frustrated he is with his quorum as we drove down the
canyon. He said he is the only one that gets to church at 8:30 to prepare the
sacrament. I didn't even know that he does that! I was impressed
that he gets himself up and out the door by 8:30 am on a Sunday morning all by
himself as a 14-yr-old-boy. Instead of adding to the complaints and finding
fault we decided to look at it a different way. Some wards have SO many
Teachers that they hardly ever get a chance to serve. He has the opposite
problem where it is only him serving, isn't it better to be needed?
He agreed that it is.
The
next night for FHE I read a story from the Ensign about a lady who was frazzled
with her noisy children in the foyer when a deacon handed her the sacrament,
"Do you need this?" She was so grateful. We
discussed how there are those coming each week with heavy hearts, repentant
hearts, unsure hearts. What an honor it is to serve them. We all take it for
granted that the sacrament is there and ready to go, we don't think about the
young boy who had to arise early to prepare it. I told him to use that time
when he is by himself preparing to ponder on a few scriptures we read, and
about all the people who are coming who need the sacrament.
What an honor it is.
Grayson
also got to speak in church in August.
Today
I will be talking about families and how we can use them to answer are
questions.
This
week I was reading in our family blog back from 2009. I was about 5 yrs. Old.
My mom listed
questions
I would ask her that she had no idea what the answer was.
These
are some of the questions I would ask.
1.
If you squish a worm will it ever come alive again
2.
Have you ever seen someone get a spider thrown at them?
3.
Would the air conditioning in the car ever run out?
4.
What’s the highest number
5.
If you get really hot will you die
6.
is a radio a machine?
7.
What age do you start to die?
8.
How many feet is our house?
All
of us will have different questions in life depending our circumstances.
President
dieter f. Uchtdorf said “we may share the same gene pool. But we are not the
same. We have
unique
spirits”.
Nephi
was a great example of being his own person but respecting his father’s
authority in this story.
Nephi
was hunting in the wilderness with is family slaying beast with his bow. He
broke his bow and his
brethren
became exceedingly angry. Leman and lemuel began to murmur and also his father
Lehi began
to
murmur. Nephi made a new bow. Nephi 16:23 “And it came to pass that I, Nephi,
did make out of
wood
of bow, and out of a straight stick, an arrow wherefore, I did arm myself with
a bow and arrow,
with
a sling and with stones, And I said unto my father wither I shall go to obtain
food?”
Lehi
was humbled by Nephi’s question and asked the Lord and was shown where Nephi
could find food.
I
learned this story in family scripture study. I feel close to my family when I
read scriptures with them.
In
the scriptures we also can read James 1:5-6, which is the youth theme for 2017:
If any of you lack
wisdom,
let him ask of god, that giveth all man men liberty, and upbraideth not and it
shall be given him.
This
was an answer to Joseph Smith’s question when he wondered which church to join
and led to the
restoration
of the gospel.
Even
if our family doesn’t know the answer our heavenly father dose.
Testimony.
we
got to tour the MTC August 12th! It was wonderful. I kept picturing Mallerie
there as such a recent missionary. We saw Elder Whiting. Me and Ava recognized
him right away. We told him that we use his wisdom tooth lines all the time,
"Nunya". Funny kid.
We were quite the crowd with all the family! There were so many of us that we misplaced where Callie was for a while until Lindsey saw her sitting in the video room with Ava. We ate at the WILC afterwards and the kids ran a muck as you can imagine, but it was so good to see everyone! It has been a while since we have all been together and it was so nice to sit and visit. Well, best we can with all kids ya know.
I just noticed that the Bulgaria Mission Presidents are listed right above the Colorado Springs Mission! Maybe our next missionary will have the couple underneath...that is a couple isn't it?
Mallerie reported that it was like being in a zoo during the MTC tours. She said everyone and their dog came though. She saw so many people she knew waving at her while she was in class. I was sort of glad that our tickets were for after her departure. I didn't want to say good-bye again! By the time we toured the MTC she was safely in Colorado Springs (arrived July 31st). Her mission presidents, President and Sister Stevenson were brand new. Mallerie was in their first group of arriving missionaries. The other funny MTC experience she shared was that after a devotional one day they announced that David Archuletta would be singing the closing hymn. The sisters all started chatting excitedly. Then it was just a video of him singing. "Talk about disappointment!" She said.
Everyone was gone one Friday night so Dad and
I took Callie on our date with us to Main Street Social. This was our first
time. De-licious. Callie was a great little companion. Dad got me an iphone 7+
since my phone just quit working on Thursday. It wouldn't turn on or anthing.
He said, I was going to get you a phone for our anniversary in a couple of
weeks anyway. Super sweet.
This
was our last week of summer. The boys wanted to do their back to school
shopping at the BYU Store to buy things such as pencils, and water bottles.
Different than girls! Graham picked up his backpack and computer at TIS and
knew right away that he did NOT want to have the W on his pack, rather a
Y. We even looked at the bookstore for a patch but nothing was big enough.
He spent the rest of the week hatching a plan. He finally decided to
buy fabric and cut it out. I gotta say, he figured it out! He also
transformed his lunchbox by putting a Y on the top. I gotta admit I didn't
think it would work, but what do you know, we figured it out. He was thrilled
with the results.
I was mainly there to get a free ride to
Ashley Furniture. I decided one Sunday night that I would like a
different headboard. I put a picture of our bed on KSL the next day and got a
call within 7 minutes from a lady that wanted to buy it! The
replacement headboard wont be in till the middle of Sept so I am anxious for
that. You know me and how I like to fuss over the house. I asked Matt what he
thought I could get for the bed frame. he said, "We have had it 20 years,
I dunno, tweny bucks?" Well I sold it for $200. Cash. Boy did it take all the smarts between Matt and I to set up this headboard. I switched out my area for Ava's. The headboard gives our room a hotel feel. I guess that isn't a bad thing.
The Great Eclipse
We didn't plan ahead well at all and were
stuck making viewfinders out of cereal boxes. We found that a paper plate
showed it best. However, the changes in lighting and air temperature is what
really stuck out to me. McKyla from next door came over to see if we wanted to
borrow her glasses. Oh man, what a difference that made. So not only did we
miss out on driving to Idaho, we missed even seeing it at 90%. My texts with
Katrina summed up our experience.
It was like an Instagram Filter on outside.
Back to School!
All but Ava went back on Tuesday August 22nd.
The little ones were leary about the new year but back-to-school-night put
Graham at ease once he saw he had some friends in his class. But he is
DEVISATED that he can't wear a hat in his English class. He is obsessed with
his BYU hat and tee's, "I just keep wearing one till it stinks or gets
dirty."
It was surreal taking Grayson to WHS his first
day. He had so many questions. I assured him most freshmen would have the same
questions and the assembly would answer most of them. I didn't have my phone
with me to take a picture as he walked into the school but I took a mental
snapshot and watched from the curb till he was in the door. I had bit of a lump
in my throat. After school he said he was certain I WAS taking a picture. Haha.
He could feel it. He also said he had a good day and is excited to be going
there. In his marketing class he is one of only two freshmen.
Ava's first day was the next day. It really
will be nice when she can drive them both. I know, sooo weird! Course she has
to stay after for play practice. Gray said, "how about I just ride the
bike?"
Football Saturday was Graham's first game in Salem Hills. It was an early morning for us to try and get him there by 8:15 am. But the day ended up being so hot we were thankful for the morning game. Callie and I didn't realize it when we got dressed that we were wearing the opposing teams colors. Still, Callie looked as cute as a button in her new school clothes. I went school shopping with Ava on Tuesday. That is what she chose to do while all the other kids were in school and she had a day free! Can't blame her right??? After the game Graham said excitedly, "I have grass stains!"
Happy Anniversary! August 26th 2017-23 Years
I came home after the game and took a nap so I'd be ready for
a night on the town for our big 23rd Anniversary. I was in charge this year
(remember I lost that racquetball game last December?) We ate dinner at
Magleby's in Springville. We asked the older gentleman who was
our waiter to take our picture and he warned us, "I will but I
am really bad at it." I am barely in the picture at all. Course he
did warn us.
K and G came over the next day for Sunday for dinner and we made our own pizzas. Dad made perfect dough and we each rolled out what we wanted: Margherita, Arugula, Hawaiian or Pesto. We even made the pesto from our garden. This ended up being our Sunday activity as well since we worked alongside each other. Matt brought out the rest of our Magleby's chocolate cake for dessert. The cake was so rich (it's like it was frosted in fudge) Giuseppe could hardly finish. We all said, "Entire confection!" He didn't know what we were talking about though so we just HAD to go downstairs and watch Matilda when we were done cleaning up. "You're better off raising tomatah's." He laughed at all the right parts and we all enjoyed it together again.
Other tales from the Boc's as written to Mal:
Matt has stayed pretty busy lately with his
Stake Young Men's calling. Al Carraway was the speaker for the August social.
She sure had the kids engaged. Because Matt needed to be at the Stake Center
early and I had to bring Young Women over, I took Graham to the football field
first for an away game clear in Coalville. I wasn't too thrilled with him
driving there with a stranger so far away on a rainy night. He called me before
the fireside started and he was in tears. Apparently I had the game
start time mixed up with the time he was supposed to be dropped off at the
field. He had missed his ride. He cried all the way home telling me what a big
deal this was and how it would affect the position he played the rest of the
season. He just sobbed and sobbed on his bed. I felt terrible, I really did,
but I also felt relieved that now Callie wasn't home alone, and that Graham was home.
That same day someone had backed into Matt’s
car at the gas pump and Ava had gone to the school for cast pictures only to
find they were just finishing up. Everyone was lamenting about their bad day. I
finally said, “Aren’t we glad these are our problems???” They all looked at me
like I was crazy. Because I had been watching so much news coverage of the
devastation in Houston, I said, “Our bad day could have consisted of us
standing on our roof waiting for a rescue boat because our house was under
water. And tonight we could be sleeping on cots with thousands of other people
next to us. Our lives really are cushy are they not?"
Ironically Matt got his hands on two free play
tickets for the following Tuesday at the Hale in Sandy for "The Heart of
Robinhood." It was so good! I had presidency meeting before we left and it
went a little long. Matt said, "Instead of a sit down restaurant wanna
grab some taco's?" Then we hit traffic on the way there so the tacos ended
up being a Snickers from the snack bar. I was one cheap date!
We started a new FHE wheel. We need one that only
has six spaces. The family is shrinking:/ Callie shared a story from the Friend
about respecting all religions and then for Dad's treat we went to Dairy Keen
to get ice-cream. Our order was completely wrong but we all gobbled up what we
got anyway. As most of us waited in the car Graham asked, "Is it illegal
to drive with BARE feet?" I answered, "It is illegal for BEARS to
drive, so yes, it is illegal." Hehe.
TH: Lunch with my ladies in Park City. I
ordered the wrong thing again! It is a place called 5 Seeds. Everyone got these
amazing looking dishes and then I went and ordered Avocado toast. Sounds good
right? It was basically a pound of guacamole on a piece of sourdough. I have
GOT to go back and try the hot cake. We had a good visit on the lawn though
afterwards. So glad to have them in my life. Callie had a dentist appointment
after school. I was sort of bugged that the Doc mistakenly nicked the inside of
her mouth so it has been sore. I needed to go Visiting Teaching afterwards (it
was the 31st ;) I was glad to have Callie with me because some of the ladies I
visit are very long winded and I could use Callie as an excuse to get going. It
made me wonder if you ever remember going visiting teaching with me? That night
we went to Whiskey Springs for a BBQ with the scouts. Remember how it was
completely flooded in May?
F: I was feeling a bit lazy after my errands. Going out to Swiss Days seemed like too big of a bother so I decided to just stay home. You know what a homebody I am. I wanted an arugula pizza for lunch but didn't feel like making the dough. I didn't feel like doing anything! I guess I kind of felt like this:
F: I was feeling a bit lazy after my errands. Going out to Swiss Days seemed like too big of a bother so I decided to just stay home. You know what a homebody I am. I wanted an arugula pizza for lunch but didn't feel like making the dough. I didn't feel like doing anything! I guess I kind of felt like this:
Finally I just said, "FINE "and started on the dough. There was enough left to make two loaves of bread. I asked the Lord who might need the bread. Two names came to mind immediately. The day before there was an ambulance at the house where the Kellogg's lived. I walked down there and when no one came to the door I felt relieved I will admit. I set the bread and card on the porch and started to walk away when the door opened. The son of the lady who went to the hospital answered the door. He is a big sort of scary looking man who has a lot of chips on his shoulder about how the church should be taking care of him. We had a good visit though and he said, "I have lived here for four years and this is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me." The other loaf I took to my friend Dulce because she had wrist surgery.
I felt so happy about my bread visits when I got home that all of the sudden I had all the energy I needed to do the tasks that were nagging at me all day: I replaced 9 light bulbs, cleaned the light fixtures, and vacuumed the vents. I always find it amazing that serving actually can GIVE energy that didn't exist before. A tender mercy for sure.
That night I went over to halftime at the football game because I have a laurel in the band and two YW in COLOR GUARD! Look how snazzy their costumes are? I thought of you the whole time and how because of you this program has come so far!
Oh, on a side note I was wearing the opposing teams colors...AGAIN!
S: Dad was outside doing yard work and he met man who was working on the yard at Bryce's house. Someone has recently moved in. A few Sunday's ago I was coming home from work and saw tons of people out there doing vigorous yard work. I thought to myself, "Oh they must not be members." I realize though that that was very judgmental of me just because I don't do yard work on Sunday. As Dad talked with this man he learned that he is the grandfather. His daughter lives there and is a single mom. She is very active in her Non-Denominational church. He said it was her church congregation who came and got her yard ready for her. I discussed with Matt how at the end of the day THEY were the ones the Lord was pleased with. Not us just because we had gone to church. I hadn't accomplished much after that and the kids were watching Amazing Race most of the afternoon. And yet here this other Christian church provided service to a single mom in need.
S: I actually shared that at the pulpit today. I also taught the combined YW Lesson (I still feel badly I had to get up and leave during yours!) We talked about Being in the World but not of the World. I think I will send you the New Era Article I used. If you are teaching youth about the importance of reading the Book of Mormon then you might be able to use it.
Tonight Grayson was looking at our family pictures on LDS tools. He asked,
"Where is this family picture taken?" I said, "Look at it and
seen if you can tell." He said, "Oh, Katrina's Seminary
Graduation." I asked how he could tell. He said, "Well we are in our
church clothes, and the kids have unhappy looks on their faces!"



























