January 2018




A surprise for Grandma Donna!



On New Years Day Laurie told Grandma Donna she was going to bring her to the church so she could watch the boys play basketball. INSTEAD, when she opened the door there we all were with a "Surprise!" and "Happy Birthday to you..." She was so touched!

We played games and ate some more! My gut was taking a beating with all the party foods.
I think in general my body was not used to so much excitement since I live a pretty low-key life. By New Years Day I fighting a headache be wearing dark sunglasses at the party. I felt very dramatic;)


However, Grandma Donna felt loved and appreciated and that was the main thing. We sure look up to her in so many ways and loving having her as head of the family. 

New Year New Beginnings
Her actual birthday, Jan 3rd was our New Beginning's night. The Young Women displayed their projects. My "spaghetti cupcakes" had people really fooled;)

The following is a letter I sent to Sharon Eubank of the General Relief Society Presidency:

Heber 6th Ward YW Converted Unto the Lord April 18, 2018

Dear Sister Eubank, 
Thank you for your inspiring talk during last years Women's Conference. I attended and felt inspired to use your talk as the basis for our New Beginnings this year. I serve as the Young Women President in the Heber 6th Ward.

Last November the Young Women met for a dinner where they sampled the building blocks of a testimony: Eyes to See, Discipline to Create, Glue to Bind. The girls looked through their Personal Progress books and chose from their experiences and projects something to share or display in one of these three categories for our upcoming New Beginnings.

In January 2018 we invited parents to an evening where the Young Women shared what they have accomplished through Personal Progress and how the Young Women values have helped them build a testimony of faith, family and relief.

For dessert we served spaghetti cupcakes, which included starch, protein and sauce (some people thought they really were spaghetti cupcakes, when in reality they were a sweet treat). 

It was a wonderful evening where the spirit was present and testimonies were strengthened. Thank you for your leadership and example to the women of the church.
Sincerely, 


Abby Bocanegra
The Youth theme for 2018 is Peace in Christ. For each of the girls birthday's I will give them Reeses PEACES and some candy scriptures, "Learn of me and listen to my words, walk in the meekness of my spirit and you shall have peace in me." D&C 19:27. Have I mentioned how much I love miniature things?



Self Reliance Graduation

January 4th was another other big night. Since September I have been attending the 12-week Self Reliance course in the business class with Dulce, my friend who lives on our street. She is not a member of our church but she said her favorite part of the course was the increase in her faith. That is a big deal! Ava, Graham, and Callie came with me since it was a dinner for the family. It was potluck and so yummy! After all the snacking and sweets from the holidays it was nice to have some real food. I spoke, along with two other people about our experience with the course and then we got our certificates. For my business I had to create I chose to make Ghee-Ghee's since that is what I do anyway! I have since found an avenue to sell them at the Park City Hospital in the gift shop. It is really just a little side hobby. When I was in Elko for Thanksgiving Sadie helped me pick out cute fabric combinations.
President Thomas S Monson passed away two days before so we are the last group of graduates to receive certificates with his signature stamped on. I had to speak at both New Beginnings and Graduation. This caused me to wake up to a nice cold sore the next morning. Typical. Matt was out of town for both of events. Also typical;)



 When we got home, Grayson wasn't here and we couldn't for the life of us figure out where he had gone! Callie kept telling us to check the church because he was probably "ballin." I didn't think he would be there because there was a viewing going on, but YES the YM were ballin! Geesh! 


Grayson joined a basketball team at the rec center and as luck would have it he was on the championship team! I didn't go to very many games. It seemed that when I attended they'd loose. He had to play against his best friend Corbin a few times (below). They play ball after school every. single. day at the church. He had county ball onTuesdays and YM ball on Thursdays. We even had to get Grayson special sports glasses after he cracked his frames during PE.


-->
Grayson quickly wore out the two cheap basketballs he got for Christmas. You would think he had lost all of his shoes or something, "What am I going to dooooo Mom???"'The next time I was at Wally World I got him a better ball. It was still in the van when I asked him to help me unload. He came inside with the ball, "Is this for meeeee?" He. loves. basketball.


The next weekend was all about taking down the Christmas decorations. I think I have eight Tupperware’s full. Brent was working in town so the kids went and swam at his hotel on Saturday and then he came to dinner on Sunday night. After he left Grayson made cookies but Matt wasn't having any. He said, "I ate one too many roles at dinner." I asked, "How many did you have, three?" He said, "FOUR." Ava said, "Oh, so you had TWO too many!" He's a fun one to tease;)

Sistas Get-a-way!
I was debating weather I should attend the prophets viewing on January 11th but we were leaving on a sisters trip to Hurricane that evening and I didn't see how I could fit it all in. We didn't end up leaving Provo till 10:30 PM so I probably could have swung it after all! Sadie had already trekked out from Elko when we got on the road. After all the fuss of the holiday's we were so ready to get outta town we couldn't even wait till morning.



It was a heavenly weekend of shopping, dinning, chatting, and a little sleeping. We can hardly keep our eyes open for a photo! Har har.
In the news there was an accidental “ballistic missile” threat sent out to Hawaii that weekend. We joked that if our houses weren’t cleaned up when we get back there would be an eminent ballistic missile coming in.
Pictured L to R: Ashley, Lindsey T, Sadie, Lindsey G, Abby.

I enjoy these ladies so much! We all met up again the following weekend for a last supper with Sophie in Provo. Ashley lamented, "Everyone I talk to now just seems lame!"
I kind of felt that way when I watched the new First Presidency address the media the morning I got back. I had to chuckle to myself at some of the reporters questions. I mean if you had the opportunity to speak to the First Presidency why would you want to hash over the same old questions? They know so much! They must just shake their heads at the small mindedness in the world. 
This is the Greatest Show!

We went to Greatest Showman AGAIN. Ha ha. We just keep seeing it over and over! I was telling Sophie, "If you go to a movie WHY would you pay to see anything else if Showman is still in theaters???" She agreed! Romney has gone like six times or something. We are constantly singing the songs from it, "This is the greatest show!" Callie even has a sign on her bedroom door, "This is the greatest showroom" We are. Obsessed. This photo was taken the fourth time we went to the theatre...but not the last!




Bye to Soph! January 29, 2018
We surprised the Gouldings by driving out for Sophie's farewell! Sophie basically INSISTED it was silly for anyone to drive out for a Sacrament Meeting talk, but we wanted to go support and celebrate her decision to serve a mission! Dad was speaking in another ward so he stayed home with Grayson.
We picked up Katrina on the way through Salt Lake and drove to Elko. We made good time and arrived an hour before church. We knocked on their door and Raeg opened it with the look of "WHAAAAAAT?" One by one the Goulding girls came down the stairs with looks of AWE. Sadie was teary. We loved hearing Katrina tell us about her recent adventures to Rome. We now have a new word. When something is so fabulous you can't really use words to describe it, it is "Duonmo." Anyway, most of our time with the Gouldings was talking about the Greatest Showman I'm not gonna lie. See, that is an example of something that is Duomo. Sophie's talk was great. She is SO excited and it really showed in all that she shared. Landrie also played a beautiful solo on the piano. We stayed for all three hours and got to hear Sadie teach RS. There is an older lady that makes comments about 3/4 of the time so there isn't really time for much else. Sophie was set apart after church, but I brought Ava and Katrina back to the house along with the four babies: Scarlett, Hartman, Callie, and Graham. Ava made Binnie's biscuits, Katrina made TWO chocolate silk pies, and I made a spinach salad. Then Kat worked on homework and Ava relaxed. We were all ready to eat when the Goulding family got back. Sadie said, "We need to have you guys come every week!" 

Photo bomb happening below: We could scarcely stop giggling and chatting long enough to even get a photo!

I am SOOOO glad we went. I knew there was no way I would regret going but a very big chance I would regret not going. The day ended with hip wars on the lawn. Ha ha. Tyrell watched on like, "Okay then!" 

The night before we left I decided to cut color my hair...at home. There was still half a bottle of the base color left that I didn't want to go to waste. My hands were covered in highlighting cream so I had Matt text Ava: "Come home, Mom needs to color Callie's hair." Ava was so confused because it was 10 o'clock at night. Her friend asked, "Isn't Callie like five?"

I love January. Getting back to regular life is the best:


 Here Graham adds his football cards to Matt's old baseball card binder. You never know what you'll find in the treasure chest. 
Such is the way with life.