Marching Along 2019


Grayson is upset because he wanted to eat at McDonalds;)
The three olders enjoyed being unattended while the rest of us were in Branson. 

The girls texted all kinds of questions in regards to making such a simple dish as Hawaiian haystacks for Sunday dinner. 
When I asked how they turned out, I got this picture back. 
I'm not sure if it was Ava's sauce concoction that boiled over or Mallerie's "rice." She had it boiling for two hours, Giuseppe finally checked it and said, "Mallerie, you are boiling WHEAT." Oh my....

I couldn't help but send a photo to them of my Hawaiian haystacks a few weeks later, "Is this what you were going for??"


I asked Mallerie how she and her companions managed cooking while on the mission. She said, "We didn't. We tried to boil eggs once but we caught the hot pad on fire because we turned on the wrong burner."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHOWERS OF LOVE

The following Saturday we attended a baby BOY shower in Orem for cousin Rachel and baby Wesley. Ironically the kids watched "The Princess Bride" just the night before while I sewed a Ghee Ghee. 

Grandma Donna looked so nice I just had to get a photo with her.  How I love this lady. As usual we were giggling away in no time.


All of the girl cousins were together (except for Anela) so I insisted on a photo. Look at little Callie with all her old cousins;)
Carly really went all out on this shower! Mallerie and Callie attempted to guess at the candy-bar diaper game. The pile of gifts was insane. They have a lot of love and support that is for sure.

It was a miracle that Mallerie had the day off. She and I attended a Stake Relief Society breakfast earlier that morning. I woke up with some sort of sugar headache or something. My head felt like it was 100 lbs. I made Hello Dolly bars the night before and true to their name...they were too much!

It was a day of parties in churches!

THE ABBINGTON ASSISTED LIVING CENTER

It is so fun that Ava also got a job as a server at the Abbington Assisted Living center. Actually, the girls would probably say, "I wouldn't go right to fun." Their boss was a nightmare who they simply called CHEF. He did not appreciate the manna that had come to his understaffed rescue. How could you not love these hardworking girls. That is a statement not a question. Chef was actually upset that Mal would work instead of stand around and point. "You are a supervisor that isn't your job." But things needed to be done so she got to work. Mal doesn't like to stand around. After Mal's last day in April she told me, "If Ava gets fired, trust me, it isn't her fault." Sure enough Ava's name quit appearing on the schedule after a few weeks.  The turnover is out of control because of this dude.


I will miss hearing them laugh their heads off as they recounted stories of work and the sweet elderly people. No matter how many times she was corrected, Mallerie continued to call Barbara, Beverly.

STAKE STANDARDS NIGHT

Ava was one of the speakers at Stake Standards night the following Wed, March 13th. I would have been terrified out of my mind at that age to speak to my peers. Ava wasn't all that nervous though she said. She did a really good job. She has really enjoyed being part of the dynamic youth committee. As Stake Young Men's president, Matt also breathed a sigh of relief after standards night was over. 

Below is our ward having a fireside at a member of the Stake Presidency's home. I am sitting in the back chatting with my counselors.

March 14 PIE/POE DAY

I guess we have had this gal four years now!

Below is Poe's Pose. Also, the neighbors got a cat that freakishly looked like Poe did four years ago. Poe did not like it one bit when Bugera even came onto our property. She would sit at the window and growl in the most unusual way. One day Bugera got hit by a car, so that was the end of that. 
MMM...homemade apple pie!

How did we choose to spend any time the girls had off? SHOPPING.

A DOUBLE BABY SHOWER

 In the center of this photo is Angela, cousin Rudy's wife. She is expecting TWINS, a boy and a girl. We also got to meet Mieken's new addition, little Harvey. Ghee Ghee's for all!
 My aunt JoAnna's house is just as daaaarling as can be. The shower felt so intimate in her home. She had a lovely spread, which consisted of a salmon salad and fresh fruit. I love this photo for how intently everyone is visiting with one another....not exactly paying attention to the mother-to-be but....
How quickly time flies, three grown girls I now have! XOXO

ST PATTY'S

Grandma and Grandpa came over for a green dinner which consisted of green bean casserole, creamed broccoli, spinach salad, potluck roast and Irish potatoes.

After dinner we adjourned to the living room where we all participated in Come, Follow Me. The next week in Ward Council a member of the Stake Presidency was visiting and he asked me, "Sis. Bocanegra can you share how this new program has blessed your family?" I thought back to St. Patricks Day. I never would have asked Matt's dad to share his testimony out of the blue but the platform was there for him to share his thoughts. As his dad ages his mind is failing him, but for a brief moment he was as articulate as can be as he expressed love for our Savior and His restored church.

Later that afternoon we all took a walk and then I made lime sugar cookies. The evening ended with a Sunday night movie downstairs. Looking back on the day Matt said, "It was a perfect day." 

A perfect St. Patty's.




For the ward Relief Society Birthday party, I made cupcakes with coconut extract and then used the same frosting. Oh myyyy.

ARCHES Saturday March 23, 2019

You may or may not remember the hot horror we experienced last Youth Conference hiking to the Arch in Moab. Quick refresher: started hiking in late afternoon in 104° weather...I didn't make it....
Anyway, I have wanted to go back with Matt. We found a Saturday that Mal didn't work (because she is all about a hike to an arch) and brought the babes along too. I was so bummed A and Gray couldn't get work off but this way we could take Matt's car. Lunching was much more pleasant this time around.


Boy, what a difference it was hiking on a mild-weather day compared to a hot June day like last summer. The arch really isn't that far at all!

It sure does take your breath away when you first round the corner and see it.






For the fourth-grade program the students submit a picture of them having fun outdoors in Utah. This shot will be perfect for Callie's program in May.

We walked around Moab for a bit afterwards and found a place to eat outside. It was such a lovely day.
We passed the time on the way home by playing requested songs. I requested Megan Trainor, "Life is better when I'm dancing" though it was difficult to dance while sitting down.
Mallerie asked to be dropped off at Classic Skating in Orem to meet up with pals. It was 10 o'clock at night and she was the first one there! As we drove away, I wondered aloud, "Why would anyone feel like going to Classic Skating right now?"
The following Monday when I went to my 6 am workout class my friend Sally asked what I did that weekend, I couldn't remember one thing. My brain does not wake up that early.


WASATCH WARRIORS


Graham, with his sparkly eyes, put together an air-soft club for his buddies called the Wasatch Warriors. He did his research online and put together an order form for those interested in getting matching gear. The verdict seemed to be that none of them had the desired money in their wallets...
He has a pal who lives by a big field where they would go shooting after school sometimes. It was fun while it lasted. The main thing was, though air soft is not my thing at aaaall, listening to Graham's passion about it made me happy for him.

PERSONAL PROGRESS

It's probably the same passion I have when I talk about my cute Young Women. My counselor put together a quarterly Personal Progress activity. 
I'd give more details but it's personal...

Callie is anxiously awaiting the time she does not have to sit in the waiting room while the rest of us perform temple work.


We got to visit with Granny for a spell outside the temple. It is not hard to run into her there. The baptistry wait time has gotten rather lengthy. After I was finished in Initiatory's I look Callie to get some lunch. We got back to the temple just as the others were finishing up. We had In and Out burgers for the ravenous, grateful family. The downfall of my generous idea? Even though we cleared out all the trash the van smelled like a fast food joint for a full 24-hours.

Oh Honey!

This doesn't have much to do with anything but whenever the kids are using waaaay too much honey I always say, "The bees work sooo hard." I was happy to come across this article in a waiting room to back me up.


We were down in Orem after said appointment when I told the kids I needed to run in to Deseret Industries. No one wanted me to do this. I said, "Something is calling to me and I need to go find out what it is." As I browsed around, an 8-foot long shelf caught my eye. Ava was aghast, "That?" I told her to picture it painted with a cool plant and art on top. She could see the vision. I bought it. The problem was that the shelf wouldn't fit in the van with the kids so I was going to have to come back with Matt. Since it was Temple Tuesday I knew we would be back later in the day anyway. Boy, we barely fit that thing in the van. The only way to make it fit was for the passenger seat to be slid all the way forward leaving me having to sit behind the driver seat. As the worker watched me climb in, he asked, "You want to sit there?" I said, "Well I don't want to...."
The shelf was a beast to unload. Once I found a place for it and filled it with my treasures it felt like it was always supposed to be exactly where I placed it. Ava asked, "Aren't you going to paint it? "Nope, I changed my mind for now." I kept adding things to it all day.


Now that the blog and vacation books are visible, the kids are constantly reading them. They pass many a Sunday afternoon curled up giggling at their past selves. And I love that everything on the shelf has a story.
That left me having to find room for the table that was there, and then I had to move another...I know I have too much going on in my living space but for some reason I just like it all exposed right now.

Much like this blog...my schtuff tells my story.