December 2019 "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, Christmas, Christmas, Christmas."


In addition to the chocolate countdown calendars, the kids made a paperchain, but it wasn't for Christmas, it was till Mallerie flew home!

HOME

I decked the halls in anticipation of the magic of Christmas and all it brings.


My Jackson Hole find– a table top flocked tree. I didn't have to rearrange the furniture!

Temple Prep - December 1st

Sunday, December 1st was a busy one. Well, Sundays are always busy for Matt, but now he had tithing settlement as well, and since it was a first Sunday, I taught Gospel Doctrine. Knowing that I would be gone most of the week before, I typed up my lesson the Tuesday prior. As I taught, I hoped the scriptures I had previously decided to use still made sense. It all worked out. My class participates so freely, it makes all the difference.

Last year was Priesthood Preview for Graham; this year was temple prep for Callie. She has been so excited. Finally, she won't have to sit in the waiting room when we go to the temple. Lately, she has waited at Grandma Donna's. Callie was given new journal and she wasted no time beginning it when she got home.

 A mini me. 
It is a tender time that my last is leaving Primary. Her classmates are my former nursery kids!  The Primary Program was in November and I couldn't take my eyes off her.

Vendor of the Year! December 3, 2019

Matt was back on the road the next week, and so was Brent. I was confused when Brent sent me this photo (till that moment, I wasn't aware he was also in California with Matt.)

Well done, bud!

Festival of Trees - December 5, 2019 - Salt Lake City 

Haven't been in years. I woke up one night with the thought that I should GO! Also, that I should invite Katrina. She had been home from Morocco for about a week and so I texted her to see if she was available, and she was! It was so good to see her. When I picked her up in Provo, I just had to give her a long squeeze and look in that face.

I remember parking was an issue the last time I went to the Festival. Still, I decided to try to see how close I could get. As I pulled up front, a field-trip of special needs students began crossing in front of us. We waited patiently. By the time I circled around the parking lot, this same group was now crossing at the other end, so we had to stop and wait again. We got laughing at this situation and then realized they might think we were laughing at them– we weren't, I promise!

We got thirsty as we browsed the trees, but the only water was bottled and it cost $3. Instead, I asked if there was a drinking fountain, of course there was. We enjoyed looking at the variety of trees, though after a while they do all start to look the same. I especially wanted to see the Brighton A Day tree and we found it. Lastly, we looked at the gingerbread houses, which ranged from movie themed to elegant. I didn't go to our local Cottages for the Children this year. After seeing how elaborate these displays were, maybe it was for the best.😏

As we were leaving, Katrina asked what the date was. I checked my watch, "The 5th," but then thought, "We can't be that far into December already." Then I realized, "Today is Shafer's birthday!" I also realized that we were directly across the street from where he works. I suggested we surprise him. We picked up a "Nothing Bundt Cake" and headed over. At the entrance, I texted him a "Happy Birthday," and asked if he could come to the lobby. He responded, "Whaaaaa? On my way."

This was a good surprise since in the text before, he had told me, "Yes, I'm at work. I'm 40 and I'm at work." Shafer is a funny one to talk to, and though our visit was brief, we sure enjoyed it.

We enjoyed the surprise so much, that afterwards I suggested to Katrina, "We should surprise Dad." That is exactly what we did. 
Matt could not imagine who is visitors were when he was phoned down to the lobby.
I haven't been to the plant since Matt moved offices so he showed us around. We face-timed Mal, right away she could tell where we were. Chip displays in the background are a dead giveaway.

We really put some miles on the van that day. It was near rush-hour when we got back on the freeway. Katrina warned me that I would get stuck in traffic and to just take her to the train station, instead of driving through Utah County, so that's what I did. She was able to scarf down the rest of her leftovers before boarding. 
We had such a nice day. I loved every minute of it: the festival, lunch at Costa Vida, the surprise work visits, chatting, all of it.

Party Time! TaySulZol - December 6, 2019 - Highland

The next generation putting on impromptu skits and dances.
This was a bring-your-own-food and a side-to-share affair. As we sat at the table and the kids ran around, Matt asked Jon how Thanksgiving went. He answered, "About like this."

After clean up, the boys started throwing a basketball around. They passed it to me and I sunk a three, then another, then another. More people started joining in and we ended up playing several rounds of speed ball. I was glad that I had worn my lounge outfit and tennies! Matt and I did have to shed our bulky sweaters.

 When Matt came out wearing this bad boy, we had all said, "Wow, where'd ya get thaaat?"

I brought gifts for my parents that night as well: a scarf and a pecan log.
A lady in my ward makes the most delicious pecan bars you could ever hope to eat. The fact that I gave one away really tells you something. I intended to share the other one, but then I figured, no one was the wiser, and I nibbled it all by myself over the next couple of days. I'll tell ya what, a slice of that dipped in peppermint tea? Heaven on earth.

Heaven to Midway

 The next day, Saturday the 7th, also the anniversary of Pearl Harbor, we went to the movies. This date was significant to Graham because he is a WWII fanatic and he and Matt saw Midway. While they were in their show, Callie and I saw Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Matt and I remembered the good old days at Provo Towne Center during the holidays - the giant Christmas tree, the bustling crowds and abundant shopping. Now? Ghost town.

Crèche in Midway

I had my time goofed up once again and we pulled up to Callie's violin recital half-an-hour early. No problem, I wanted to see the Crèche in Midway and this was a great time to go. 


Ava was unable to join us last year at Callie's recital, and she was in for a real treat! Once again, it was a delightful evening full of music, poetry, jokes, tips– a miscellaneous craft idea thrown in– and cupcakes. I brought some queen of chocolate cupcakes to share.

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas
Everywhere you go
Take a look in the five and ten glistening once again
With candy canes and silver lanes aglow"

A Star is Born - Ward Party December 11, 2019

Callie was the star once again by handing the baby Jesus to Mary during the primary Christmas program. The primary was in charge of the Ward Party this year– it was so nice to just show up! The music director led them in the sweetest program. Callie sang in the angelic choir. The audience was hushed and reverent. Our ward keeps shrinking and it was an intimate crowd. I really like it actually. 
Big Graham relishing that he is out of Primary.
And yet there was Matt back IN the Primary Program. He was talking to his counselors so passionately in the hall about his job, that he didn't notice we were all waiting for the three wisemen.
It's a shame he missed the whole thing. Really, this program had the neatest spirit to it.

A Date! Wait, who are they?

I don't have a photo– I seem to never take photos at Matt's work things– but we got together with two other couples for dinner in Salt Lake on Friday the 13th. It was really nice. Matt's colleague, who recently retired, had lots of stories as to how he fills his time. I told Grayson afterwards a story about how Gordy refurbished an organ and put it in his living room. Grayson thought it was a human organ that was refurbished. Grayson was able to take a boring organ story and make a non-boring organ story.
Gray.
As I took him to school one morning, I had a pretty Christmas CD playing. He asked who was singing. As he got out of the car, I scanned the CD case to see.  He said, "Text me," as he got out of the car. I smiled on the way home because I thought that was such a funny joke.
He was serious.

Tradition! Gingerbread House Decorating - Saturday, December 14th

We switched up the teams this year! Me and Graham against Matt and Callie Marie.


I spent the rest of that Saturday in the kitchen. I stocked my freezer with mini loaves of lemon-poppyseed and orange-cranberry. Throughout the month, when people stopped by with a gift, I sent them on their way with a frozen loaf. 

I also tried my hand at marmalade! It is a process, but enjoyable, the finished product was yummers.
At the UPS store when I declared that I was mailing, "Homemade bread and jam," the employee said, "MMMM." Another, "My stomach just growled."

Back in the parking lot, I was startled to see this:
???

Not all surprises were spooky though.

We had carolers! Coulda bawled.



I'll Be Home for Christmas - December 18, 2018 

Mallerie's flight didn't arrive till 11:50 PM! Graham was the only one who came along with me and Matt. Mal got off the plane in shorts and a tee. She had told me in a previous text, "I am tired of being hot, I want to feel cold!" I reminded her that her bedroom doesn't have a heater.
The kids were all big talkers about wanting to be at the airport, but it was a school night– Callie was asleep in bed before we even left to the airport. 
Graham still managed to pop up for school bright-eyed and bushy-tailed the next morning.

As promised, Mallerie's room was so cold that she ended up sleeping in Callie's room– to Callie's delight...I think.

And the children say he could laugh and play - December 19, 2019

Graham in a Santa hat could possibly be the best thing about Christmastime.

"There must have been some magic 
in that old silk hat they found
For when they placed it on his head
He began to dance around"

Ava and Mallerie had a lot to catch up on. Graham said, "Everyone seemed bored when I looked over."
Not true!



It was a festive event and there was nowhere else we'd rather be. 
The principal was sneaky and stuck this beauty in; here we thought he was only taking our picture...

We can be sneaky too...

Callie and I cashed in our spare change, and shopped for an 11-year-old girl.  We delivered the gifts to the local food pantry with other secret Santa shoppers. 

The True Spirit of Christmas

I had plans to go to the Payson Temple since Provo was closed for the season and Mal jumped at the chance to join with me on Friday the 20th. She does not like sitting around for even five-minutes. 
I saw a familiar man in the session, but could not place how I knew him. It wasn't till I saw his wife, that I realized it was my dear friend's parents, the Tanners. I approached them after the session, and she was just as sweet as can be. She gave words of love and encouragement that she probably had no idea I needed. 
Mallerie and I enjoyed lunch at Costa Vida, just like I had with Katrina a couple of weeks earlier. I love some one-on-one time with my adult daughters. After lunch, Mallerie and I went on some errands and she helped me finish my Christmas shopping. My brain was in a bit of a fog this year when it came to my preparations, so I appreciated her being able to help me with decisions. What fun it was to run in to Lindsey at the mall!
Crumble was opening in Heber that very day and we got there in time to get our free cookie on our way home. It had been a full day– yet when Mallerie was on the phone with her pal the next, day I heard her say that she, "...hadn't really been doing anything..."

The only thing more awkward would be if Matt and I sang, "Baby it's cold outside."

I mentioned how our ward is shrinking, and I sort of like it, but that meant I had to join the choir. I have no qualms with being in the choir, I just can't sing! Literally, I only know how to follow soprano, yet my voice can't hit those notes anymore, so what to do?! In answer to the Bishop's plea, Ava and I showed up to choir practice back in October and there were only two others there.
 Oh boy.
However, Matt declared a state of emergency to the ward council, which provided the needed men.
More women joined too and our numbers grew week by week.
I found the alto part for O Holy Night on the computer and listened to it over, and over, all month long. It sort of sounded like the Princess Bride theme song. It's beautiful.
Anyway, by the day of our performance, December 22nd, we were ready to go! I cannot believe how hard we worked. 
Mallerie thought it hilarious that Ava, Dad and I were in the choir and said she would try her best to not make faces and get in a laughing fit– but she made no promises. As we started to sing Still, Still, Still Ava started laughing, I hissed at her to please not even look at Mal. Our choir director had simply worked too hard and this program meant the world to her.
We all got through it. It was so lovely. I know we had heavenly help.
The spirit was once again what made up the difference. 
I will never hear such songs as O Come, O Come, Emmanuel the same, and the part of O Holy Night that says, "Chains shall he break, for the slave is our brother..." tears every time.

Courageous

Grandma Donna and Grandpa Mike came for Sunday lunch and we ended up exchanging gifts. Grandma presented us with the movie Courageous. She was both surprised and glad that we hadn't seen it. She said, "Let's go watch it!" It's a great Christian film that led into a great discussion afterwards where the spirit was felt. The movie has plenty of funny parts, but I also cried most my make-up off.

Bocas Chokas

Mallerie and Ava have started an online business and quickly got to work to fill their Christmas orders. They strung as we watched Tangled. Seeing how content Ava is to have her sis home warmed my soul.
And then to have ALL my babies home for Sunday dinner filled my soul to bursting. We had Grandma and Grandpa over for lunch that afternoon and then my parents for dinner.
Ava did a delicious job of setting the table
My Dad called afterwards to say how much he enjoyed being there with all of us. I could only describe it in one word, "Sacred."
We dined on roast, funeral potatoes, green salad, glazed carrots, corn with peppers, and baguettes–topped with my fresh marmalade of course. 
Ava brought down delightful chocolate bonbon pops for dessert. 
I have gotten so used to making food for six that this crowd of ten licked every platter clean.
I could have apologized but like I always say, "People don't need to be pigs." 🐷

Ava is a news anchor every morning at school for STING TV (get it? they are the wasps), and I have yet to see any of it. I was so happy she could pull up some of her broadcasts on the TV for all of us to see.

 K-now I am thinking about those chocolate bonbons. They are so good! They have crushed Oreos, pecans, orange juice, cocoa powder and chocolate chips. They are so rich and delicious. 

We surprisingly had Oreos left over. One evening, after everyone was down, I was headed to my room with said Oreos, a glass a milk, and hopes of watching something delightful with Matt. I walked in to see he was watching sports. Wa wa waaaaa. 
Why is it that I keep forgetting sports is even a thing?

Daddy Fun Day = Mommy Fun Day

There were plenty of other delicious days in December though, like Daddy Fun Day! Ava and Grayson both had to work, but opposite shifts. Grayson was with them for the first half of the day, Ava for the second half.

The following Monday Callie and I finally got around to reading some Christmas books. I read to her and then she read to me. My eyelids couldn't take it and I reclined with a blanket. Soon I was out. It was more than my eyes that were tired. My soul was tired.
 I don't know how long I slept, but I woke up to see the (new!) blinds had been drawn and there wasn't a soul in sight. It took me a minute to even realize what day it was. I was parched, "How long have I been out? Where did everybody go???" 

I slapped my cheeks and got myself together to make dinner; shepherd's pie seemed a festive option. The kids came home from the outlets and it was nice to have the family home on that Monday night. 
Family Night.

During dinner, I whispered to Callie to retrieve a gift for Matt that was wrapped under my bed. It took him a while to figure out that it was a shoe rack for his closet. Hours before, I had felt equally as confused😕.
"The first gift of Christmas!"

Christmas Eve - Aloha Style!

Laurie and Hank were here from Hawaii, so Kei rented an Airbnb in Utah County and we joined them for dinner. When I saw the spread Kei put on, I was amazed! It was as elaborate as a full-on Thanksgiving meal. I said, "This must have taken a long time to prepare!" She admitted that she had prepared the entire day before. I get it! 

After the delicious dinner we played games. It was fun to see how well Mal has gotten to know the Wassons. I told Laurie, "You know, in a lot of ways you are a better fit mother-wise for Mal than I am!" They are a lot alike.




 Back at home, the kids were excited to play the bells with Mallerie. We got them last year and they knew the bells would be right up her alley. She concurred, "I just love playing bells!"

When Katrina got off of work at the Olive Garden, she joined us for our jammies opening. Since Mallerie was on her mission the last two years, this is the first time in three years that all six kids have been home for Christmas!

Ready Santa?


Bedtime was easy, only two bedrooms to tuck in (the older girls said they boiled during the night.)
I recited, "Twas the Night before Christmas" to them before bed.
Because it was!
Ava's mattress stayed on the floor through the rest of the year.

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

We woke up to a white Christmas! Magic.






Callie brought down her doll tent to put her gifts in. Poe nestled in right away.
Grayson acted genuinely surprised every time a gift was handed to him, "Whaaaa?"
He got a good stash: prescription sunglasses, cologne, a shaving kit, pants and a shirt, a cardigan, Spider-Man: Far From Home, a bluetooth speaker, dress shoes, and an upgraded phone. Shopping for a six-teen-year old boy wasn't as puzzling as I'd imagined it would be.
Ava had an excited expression on her face when she opened a gift, "An electric toothbrush!?" Nope, actually they were just whitening strips. Thankfully, a couple of gifts later she could say with certainty, "An electric toothbrush!"

Graham and Callie were surprised with electric SCOOTERS.


Katrina and Mallerie brought back unique treasures from Morocco and Hawaii, like Graham's umbrella hat.
I tried it after Graham, and totally pinched my finger when I closed it. Graham said, "I did that too!"

The mystery family gift turned out to be...drum roll...tetherball!
With all the snow we received, this gift would have to wait until spring. 

Aftermath

Christmas Brunch.
Katrina noted, "What a cute spread." We had a breakfast casserole with sausage, so I made her a separate veggie/egg dish, "That was thoughtful." 
As long as I don't have to do that every day...😉

Matt went out to clear the walks When he came in, Graham had just finished setting up his new game, Axis and Allies. 
I suggested Matt sit and play with him, since I don't have much patience for never-ending games. Matt tried, but couldn't keep his eyes open. After a while, he went to take a nap.
I did the same downstairs while the kids put on a movie.

Later, they went out and enjoyed the fresh snow. The Kmart snow pants came in handy.

"Whoa, have you always been there buddy?"
This snowman stared at us through the dining room window for quite a while, then one day it was gone. Callie said, "That snowman was getting freaky." It must have been because the Oreo eyes had been pecked out.
I'll admit I was glad to have my scarf back. I wouldn't have been above putting the carrot in my soup either, but Callie scolded, "Mom!"


Christmas day always goes by in a blur of eating, playing, and watching.
The kids completed a 500-pc puzzle.
We played Telestrations as a family for the first time. Mal had assured me, "It's a fun one."
We got through it Poe, we got through it.






Our Christmas gifts to each other were reminiscent of our first Christmas together; Matt gave me snow boots and I gave him a blanket. A MINKY.
He now refers to life before he had his blanket, and after he got his blanket.

Don't get all bent out shape - December 26th

I had an appointment for Mallerie's finger to be looked at the very next morning. She broke it while hiking a few months ago. Just like Katrina's broken pinky, it healed all wacky. 
Mallerie said, "Mom, I'm fine with it." 
"Well I'm not," I told her.

The x-ray showed there is a small bone chipped off. The only fix at this point would be for Mallerie to wear a brace for months to try and straighten it out, no guarantees.
We tried to chat with the Dr., who was a young good lookin guy, but he was sooooo serious. 
I bet he's fun at parties.

The girls got a snack at the vending machine afterwards. Why they chose to spend their money on Doritos is beyond me! They ended up having to buy two bags because the first one got stuck.

I had to get a picture with Callie to show this darling Christmas sweater she bought me. She beamed as I opened it on Christmas Eve. "A sweater??" 
All of the kid's gifts were so thoughtful.

Btw, Mallerie's brace was lost by the end of the next day, I think. It wouldn't have stood much of a chance in the Hawaiian ocean anyway.
I tried.

We watched the demolition of Macy's outside the mall.
Inside the mall, we visited the "Light the World" kiosk while Mallerie met up with a friend from ILP. 
While they caught up, we browsed Frameworks.
We stumbled upon the originals of Youngsung Kim! This photo is for Landrie.
Ava loved this one.
Callie played a memory game on the rug.
We helped Mal pick out a swimsuit afterwards and got to meet Roxie.

We had the whole day to fill in Orem. We got tickets for Little Women. Thankfully, it wasn't starting for a while because I think each of us were up and down, and in and out of the theatre a couple of times by the time it started. After finally getting settled, I needed a nap! The movie is very good, I just kept getting sooooo sleepy. Sitting on the front row in the corner didn't help.

That evening, we met up with Matt and the boys for the Bocanegra Christmas party. Laurie wrote a play for she and her brothers to act out. I told Donna, "And here you probably thought your days of seeing your babies in a program were long gone." She giggled. 
I could giggle with my mother-in-law all day. And then just like that, we will be talking about something that makes us tear up.
You got this Graham! 
He was happy to have a snow-free court to use his new b-ball on.

Sending Olive My Love

Katrina was scheduled to fly to New York that very weekend. We headed to Provo because we wanted the chance to go to the Olive Garden and have her as our waitress.
She had been in Utah for a month, and yet we only saw her a handful of times. She worked, worked, worked! I bet Katrina knows all the answers on the kid's menu.
Katrina's boss couldn't say enough good about her and he was sad to see her go. We asked her if she gets good tips. She responded, "In Provo Utah? No." We tried to remedy that.

It was just too fun to have my girls around during the holidays. It almost seemed surreal. I knew I couldn't get used to it, but it was great to have them while we did. 
(It's hard to describe the heavy heart that came with sending my girls off in opposite directions at the end of the break– each requiring a five-hour plane ride😢).

Movies

December seemed to be all about going to the movies. In addition to Maleficent, Midway, and Little Women, we saw Frozen II and Knives Out.
It was just me, Mallerie, and Callie at Frozen II. There was a kid with light up shoes sitting by us that were very distracting. It didn't bother me as much (since some of the time my eyes were closed 😴), but the girls thought it ill-mannered. I took Ava and Mallerie to Knives Out in Park City a different Day. Yes, I had already seen it in Jackson, but I knew the girls would love it.

Ice Skating! December 28, 2019

We joined in on Sheriff Day at the Midway ice-rink. I went down hard a couple of times but no one seemed the wiser. Matt was only sad he had missed it, "Why were you going so fast?" he wondered.
I fared better than my friend Ann who tore her rotator, which required surgery:/



We played Parcheesi that afternoon till it was time to head to Temple Square. This was the last time to walk the grounds as we've known them. Demolition was to begin the following Monday. The trucks were parked and ready to go!


"There's a tree in the Grand Hotel, one in the park as well
The sturdy kind that doesn't mind the snow"


Party Pants - December 29, 2019

My side of the family wanted to see Mallerie as well, so Ashley invited us all for Sunday dinner in Highland. We played celebrity, and bear, bear, moose. It created laughs galore and led to a dance party at the end. 

As we drove home, Mallerie said, "That was a fun time." I agreed. Then she added, "And we all found our party pants!"
That was very intuitive of her.

It was a good thing about the party pants being found, because up next was New Year's Eve!

New Year's Eve 2019

Mallerie and Ava were set on having a waffle bar, I was set on Swedish pancakes– we had both. 

Romney and Austin joined our party and we had a great time playing and laughing.

At midnight, as we all ran outside to make a ruckus, Matt stood on the porch with two air-horns (he had tucked them away last summer for this very occasion). What he didn't notice was, that while pressing them, they were freezing his thumbs, which caused them to blister. No wonder he chucked them into the snow.

It was all fun and games till Mallerie went downstairs and saw that a basketball had bounced on her bead container and they spilled were everywhere, they were all over the basement. I didn't see it, couldn't look. Mal was not happy. Let's just take a moment to let that sink in.

Mallerie was not happy. 

This was bad.

Instead of playing Five Crowns on New Year's Day, we took turns sorting beads.
You can see Austin in the background. Doing what? Sorting beads.
One advantage of having your dad as the Bishop, is that you can get your temple recommend right on January 1st!

I helped with the bead sorting too. As I was bent over with my earbuds in, chomping my gum, I felt like that girl on the Fugitive who paints the prosthetic hand.

On New Year's Day evening, Mallerie had a date with a guy from her mission. She rode to Provo with Romney and Austin. A storm had rolled in and was really coming down by the time they left. I hated sending them on the road like that.
Matt and I drove to Provo to pick her up after her date. She had a great time; I was disappointed we didn't get to meet him. 
The drive home was in a blizzard. I said to Mallerie, "Just think, you'll be in Hawaii tomorrow!"

That is freaky to be in a snow storm one day, and then the next day on the beach.
Matt cannot see the bag of popcorn for the life of him.
This photo sums up 2019. I thought the year would be one way, but then it went a different way. 

At first glance I might have grimaced, but then I realized, "It'll be okay."

"A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn"