Leapin' Lizards, it's February 2020!

Clark Planetarium, Salt Lake City Utah - February 7, 2020

This was Callie's second field trip of the month. The first trip was to the State Capitol with the prestigious Student Council. She thought the trip was just, eh. She said all the moms that went were the hyper-paranoid ones, "Stay away from the railings, keep up with the group." Why do field -trip moms have to be like that? 
 I must be the laid-back type because when I walked into Callie's class for the Clark Planetarium field-trip, the kids chanted, "Yay!"
 I don't know what it is with me and field-trips, but it is always raining!

After a presentation and a walk through the displays, we entered the dome theatre, I thought, "Oh boy, I'm in trouble." My group later said, "We saw you sleeping." I knew as soon as I reclined that I didn't stand a chance.

 The teachers thought the Food Court was still a thing at the Gateway and when they found out it wasn't, we walked and walked while they looked for a place for us to eat our sack lunches. They even had me fooled, I thought we were headed to an actual destination. When we reached the other end of the outdoor mall, they were really scratching their heads. Then, as though it was the Room of Requirement, this weird break-room type place opened up and there was room for all. I thought, "Look there are even some games." But the teachers stood guard, "NO shooting hoops." Why????

Sweethearts Dance - Friday, February 7, 2020

 When Grayson was asked to Sweethearts he said, "I didn't even know that was a thing." It confused him even more that it was by the same girl he had taken to Homecoming, "We already did that."
Nonetheless, he answered her back with a "yes." This was the perfect opportunity for him to wear his new suit and it was the perfect opportunity for me to learn to make a wrist corsage. I was happy with the way it turned out, except that I glued it on side-ways.

His date looked beautiful and Grayson looked so handsome.
 I asked about his group afterward and he seemed to have never seen any of them before. He was also a bit confused that they all seemed to be in costume...

As you can see, Ava was quite a bit more comfortable with her group😃

Ava too asked the boy who had asked her to Homecoming...but it was last year. They both have grown up a lot. She was in a real quandary with what to wear. This is the hardest part of school dances, I will admit. As soon as I learn of an upcoming dance, I know a dress dilemma is in the future. I headed into Jo-Ann after my temple shift the Tuesday before, and ended up texting with Ava back and forth different photos of fabrics. I then texted back and forth from Burlington with different tops. And here I wasn't even going to the dance! 😉 Don't even ask about the darling boots. LOOOOOONG story.
Ava looked the epitome of a sweetheart. I didn't get to see her off. I was on an errand, thinking I was timing it just right when she texted that she was off! ðŸ˜©

Callie's Newsies - February 2020

  I was thrilled to see Callie starting up her Newsletter streak again. Hopefully it lasts a little longer than last year, because we sure love her Point of View.
The Newsletter was not the only project keeping her busy. She and I worked many hours on her movie theatre for her 5th-grade Valentine circuit box. She got her inspiration from cousin Paisley's design. 
The only thing we had to purchase was a pack of black paper and a square of red fabric. The rest of the supplies we scrounged from around the house.

Tuesdays are my long days but when I got home and heard, "Ready to start working on my Valentine box again?" I was! We actually enjoyed the whole process from start to finish. The circuit part I left totally to her. Not only was that the actual assignment, but that's not really the fun part is it?
She got the little sconces to work just fine.


 The concessions box was for her class to put her Valentines in. I said, "Hopefully they don't all bring as big of a treat as you do, or they won't fit." Naturally, she brought bags of popcorn to pass out for her treat. Popping those bags was a whole project in and of itself. I was happy that she was happy.
I went to Callie's classroom on Valentine's Day to see the other circuit boxes. Knowing how much work went into each one, I tried to take my time and ask questions. There were some clever ones: a hot tub, the Eiffel tower, and a unicorn palace, to name a few. Only one kid didn't make one. I felt bad for him.

 Speaking of questions, I thought this little gem from the internet was on point. Or as I like to say, "Ask caring questions." If you don't care what the answer is, don't ask it!

A Charming Game of Basketball

I continue to be the bad-luck charm at Grayson's games. However, I was able to see him sink some threes before the county ball season ended. I love to see him on the court. He had a good season. 

In the Wake of Valentine's Day 2020



 Since V-day was on a Friday, that meant I had my aerobics class at 5:30 am, so the day started very early for me. From there it was go, go, go. I was glad I had my cookie dough and frosting already made. I came home from class that morning and got the table fussed up (sans cookies). After getting the kids out the door and myself together, I headed to Callie's classroom to look at the circuit houses. Afterward, I came home and baked and decorated the cookies. I also made funeral potatoes. Yes, Matt had his first funeral. It was for an older, very sweet lady who had many health complications. I visit-taught her years ago. Though Matt and the Relief Society were told it would be a packed house, the chapel was very sparse. The family requested an open mic format, except they sat glued to the pews when the time was turned to them. There were long five-minute lulls between random speakers: a neighbor, a co-worker. I wondered, "Do I get up???" The spirit said, "Yep, you!" So up I went and shared some memories. Matt almost closed the meeting twice but her sister stood, and then finally a son. Matt began his closing remarks but I couldn't stay for all of them. Later, when I told my dad about this unusual funeral, he said, "That's not a funeral, that's a wake."

I had committed to take a friend to Salt Lake to pick up her daughter for a doctor's appointment that day. I met her at her house at noon. What I didn't realize was we were picking up her daughter in West Valley, then the appointment was at Primary Children's. Between the two was quite a bit of driving. I haven't been to this particular wing at Primary Children's before. This photo doesn't really show it, but the view of the Salt Lake Valley is amazing. 
I had a fair amount of time to kill while they were in with the doctor so, out of my purse, I pulled supplies to make a valentine for my friends' daughter, who was one of my Young Women. After the appointment, we took her daughter back to West Valley to meet with another specialist. I had my book club book to read, "Three Things About Elsie." It kept me engrossed enough.

By the time my friend and I got in my van to head back to Heber, it was 5 pm. My friend said, "Let me buy you dinner." I said, "That won't work because my family always has Valentine's dinner together." So, we drove home and I dropped her off. We laughed because, who would have ever guessed that we would spend our Valentine day together. I got home around 6 pm. Matt said, "Well that turned into quite the day!" It had. We usually order take-out on Valentine's evening, but I felt like going out to eat. We gathered the babes and drove to the Homestead. In Midway, the twinkle lights were still on and it was beautiful to drive through. The older two were working so we got a table for four at Fanny's Grill (if you remember from my birthday visit, they usually only serve lunch.) 
By the time we were seated, I knew Ava would be getting off of work so I texted her and she joined us. We ran into many familiar faces since we were at a local joint. It was the perfect evening actually.
Back at home, Grayson was also done with work so we sat around the table together and had dessert—even though some cookies had already been nibbled into. Matt said, "I hadn't eaten anything when I came home from the funeral, and it just looked so good." He had practically polished his off. V-day is a day for indulgence, so that made me happy.
Service, family, love, and sugar. These are things that make me happy. 
We toasted the day and called it good💖


  After I sewed Ava's circle skirt for Preference, I decided to make one for Callie as well. I found some super soft knit at JoAnn the following week and sewed one for her. If you scroll back up to my Valentine table, you will see how I incorporated it into the decor. It took her a minute to realize, "Oh! It's a skirt!" While decluttering after the holidays I found my parents Christmas gift under my bed, so we opened that during dessert as well. It is a tiny Book of Mormon and Golden Plates. It gave a new meaning to, "The golden plates lay hidden..."🎵


Happy to be associated with you!

Mallerie's Associate diploma came in the mail! I texted her a picture of the envelope and she said, "Open it!" Good for her. Onward and forward!


Playing the 'Ol Trombone

Graham has also made great progress in the band playing the trombone. At his spring concert, we got a sweet seat. Front and center—in front of him anyway. Hopefully we weren't too distracting because there was nowhere else we'd rather be.


Mr. Invisible

Speaking of, "Playing the ol' trombone," it is also an expression for someone whose eyesight is faltering. (Matt does it, he holds a paper close, and then far, and then close again. Playing the 'ol trombone.) Grayson's eyesight started to give him trouble clear back in the third-grade. He has worn glasses ever since. 
Well, he has decided it is time to try contacts. They took some getting used to, like a lot. But he likes that as an option (notice he had them in for the Sweetheart Dance).


At his orthodontist appointment last fall, he decided he did not want braces and opted to pay the difference himself for Invisalign. We didn't realize all the prep work it would take. He needed spacers and apparatuses put in before he even started on the actual retainers. After several months, the adjustments to his teeth were finished, and he was ready for the weekly retainers. I said, "Between your invisible glasses, and your invisible braces, you are Mr. Invisible." He was like, "Yeah, yeah I am Mr. Invisible." I had to snap a picture of him with the wacky lip-stretcher just like I had with Ava. I texted the picture to Ava in remembrance. She said, "You should frame his on the wall with our school pictures." Be careful what you ask for my friend. Be careful what you ask for...

Onward, Christian Soldier! Soldier Hollow - February 28, 2020

Maybe it isn't just the kids who feel I am more relaxed on field-trips, because Callie's teacher invited me personally to join them one last time for fifth-grade cross-country skiing. I was relieved to see the sun! If any of the field-trip days needed to be sunny, it was this one! 
Callie could have used a pair of shades.
"My future is so bright I need to wear shades."

We stayed together mostly, but she also went off with her friends for a bit, so I went off with one of mine! At one point I saw a fifth-grade boy laying prostrate in the snow weeping and wailing, and even gnashing his teeth. He was fed up with the difficulty of trying to ski and repeatedly falling down. I knew he could do it and didn't want his day to end like this! I tried to help him, reason with him, anything, but he took off his ski's and marched back towards the clubhouse. I said a prayer for him.
Later, his teacher appeared with him. He was upright! She was pretty unsteady herself and didn't feel like she could go on with him. I said, "I will!" As we rounded the first incline, I gave him lots of encouragement, "Just stay in the tracks, keep your balance centered, and don't worry if you pick up a lot of speed, you will slow down when the trail evens out." He actually listened and made it down the hill. I was so happy for him! He gained enough confidence to leave me in the dust. I saw him towards the end of the day flying down a hill and letting himself crash to stop. He was having a great time. Good for him. We all had a great time.

The field trip did end with a bit of panic on my end when back at the school, I couldn't find my fanny. It had my phone, wallet, keys, and my LIP GLOSS! While the secretary was tracking down the bus driver, I went into Callie's class to see if she knew where it was. She held up the fanny when I walked in, "Here Mommy."  My second prayer of the day was answered.

SONdae

After I picked up Graham from school that day, I decided to use our free sundae coupon at Dairy Keen. His birthday was coming up so he deserved it. 

Hey, didn't we do this same thing last year??? L: 2019 R: 2020


And so, the months and years roll by. Look how much older Graham looks only one year later. The taller he gets, the lower his voice gets.👴
Before you know it, he'll be doing the comb-over.

Course, because it is a leap year, Graham had to wait a whole extra day for his birthday.