Mother of a Seventeen-Year-Old on this Day! 2020

During Caronie, people got creative with how to celebrate their kids birthdays. Some of my own participated in drive-by celebrations: Ava in the truck for her friend, Graham and Callie on the tandem bike for our neighbor. Even though I knew the answer, I asked Grayson what he would think of something like that for his birthday. He shook his head in disgust, "That'd make it the worst birthday." Haha, but what to do... As his birthday approached, and the restrictions eased a bit, I suggested to Matt, "How about we get a hotel in...PROVO." The kids were itching for a get-away –so much so that they were delighted with this suggestion, even if it was just Provo.

Grayson, big SEVENTEEN - May 9, 2020

 


Grayson's pile of gifts was pretty shabby. As he opened his gifts I said, "There is also a gift under the couch." He reached under and pulled out an unopened package from Disney Movie Club. A few weeks earlier, I was sitting on the couch when one of the kids brought me the mail, including the package. Knowing we'd gather in a few weeks in the living room for Gray's birthday, I conveniently slid the package under the couch. I was glad the movie was "Star Wars" instead of "Sonic the Hedgehog" or something equally as lame. Matt also pulled through with a mystery gift. He had a big ol' gift hidden in the back of his car, which he gave Grayson hints to find. Graham and Callie had been with Matt when he bought the gift so they were all giggles.

It was a new basketball standard!

You'll remember that last year, our old one came crashing down. The boys decided they would rather the hoop be at the other end of the cement pad anyway. 
So, whether Grayson wanted to do manual labor on his birthday or not, the afternoon was filled with digging dirt and mixing cement. He mainly left the assembly part to Matt and Graham. This project took a good part of the day. I bet that drive-by birthday was looking pretty good about now...


However, Grayson has really enjoyed the new hoop since.

After cutting into the cake, we headed to Provo to stay at the Marriott Residence Inn. For the pool being "closed" it sure was crowded! We figured it must be the employee's families. Good for them.

(I'm going to miss laughing daily with my Binnie.)

After getting settled, we headed to Heber Hatchets. Don't get confused, it is located on Center Street in Provo. Our dear friends are co-owners and we were glad to see they are back in bizz.


At first throw, I don't think any of us thought we'd get the hang of it, but by the second throw, "We got this!" We threw for an hour or so, changing up the games as we went.

There is a delicious gourmet burger joint located at the back, BACK DOOR BRGR. We noticed that a lot of people were coming in and heading straight back. Their unlucky grand opening date was March 24th. Despite the COVID restrictions, they pressed on and did their best with curbside pick-up. By how busy it was, it seemed we weren't the only ones itching to get out and about. The food was dang good. Grayson ordered a Sloppy Joseph. All of their burgers are named after the family member who created it.
It was dark by the time we walked back to the car. We realized we had been in Heber Hatchets for nearly three hours! It turned out to be the perfect Birthday destination.

The kids matched these faces to people we know...maybe even YOU.

Ava said she had an errand after we got back to the hotel and all of the kids went along. They must have been out joy-riding. I know part of the time they were playing frisbee in the parking lot with Grayson's new light-up frisbee. They all get along so well (on birthdays).
Grayson told me and Matt, "Thank you" and that he really enjoyed his day. 
We enjoy him!
Another thing that I really love about Grayson is that he is real. An example of this was during the Caronie when he wanted to watch "A Quiet Place" (the little ones wanted nothing to do with it and ran upstairs). After we watched the movie, we were discussing it when Grayson admitted, "I didn't know the daughter was deaf the first time I saw the movie." We got a good laugh because that fact is such a big part of the movie! I told him that I love that he admitted that instead of just being embarrassed and keeping it to himself. Instead, he laughed right along with us.
He's real.

Mother's Day! May 10, 2020

The next day it was time for Gray to move out of the spotlight because it was Mother's Day!
Instead of the traditional complimentary breakfast in the dining room, the Marriott handed out sack breakfasts. We nibbled on ours as we played games around the table.
I was one of the last to leave the room and I watched my cute family load up the car. I kept waving from the stairwell window but no one saw me (note: the hubcap must have come loose just the day before. As we drove back into Heber, Ava saw it! I went back the next day and picked it up off the side of the road).

Everyone was a good sport when I suggested we hike to the Y. Thinking he could find the trailhead on his own, Matt meandered near 7-Peaks. We found ourselves in a line of cars with no way to turn around. It was the COVID testing line! Gah! We told the healthcare workers in hazmat suits of our blunder and got outta there!

Y oh WHY?

The day was WARM and the trail is STEEP. It seemed like it took forever! I said, "It's good to do something hard every now and then guys."

We did make it.

Graham chose the trail that goes to the bottom of the Y, there he is waaaaaay down there.
I told the kids, "Remember, whether you went to the top or the bottom, you made it!" 

All of us have hiked to the Y before except for Grayson. His thoughts?
"That's not a good hike." 
He's real.

Back in the car, I said, "We all made it."
Grayson added, "Except for Graham."

We dropped off a goodie-bag for my mom before heading up the canyon. I filled a gift bag of salt-water taffy and stuck in a summer scented sachet. The problem was, that after sitting in the car overnight, the taffy had absorbed the scent! I apologized to her about the floral-scented taffy...

Matt had visited with his mama the Friday before. On Mother's Day, he went all out by grilling, surf and turf style. 
Salmon and steak on the barbie.
The kid's gifts and cards to me were so sweet and really touched my heart. Spending time with those I love, touching base with all my babies, good food, and adventure,
it was a good day.
And for those times when I need to just sit on my bed and eat chocolate? Well, I'm all stocked up now. 😊