Grayson's 2020 Cross Country Season

I took over 100 pictures of his season, so I will have to choose a few favorites. They are the most fun to look at on my phone anyway. When I scroll through them fast, I can see him run again.  
I kept getting conflicting information on whether or not parents could spectate at the race. I finally decided that I wasn't supposed to go. Then the night before, Grayson said, "Are you coming to my race tomorrow?" With that, how could I not? It was on Saturday, August the 22nd, in Springville. I left around 7:30 am. Matt had a Zoom meeting with Elder Gong—it was for all Bishops or something. The bottom line, he didn't join me. 

Grayson's first race! I had yet to see him run, and I was nervous for him. When the gun went off, in the throngs of runners, I could see Grayson's head bobbing up and down in his usual fashion. I was emotional for him. "He's doing it!" I thought. I was so proud of him for sticking with something difficult—early morning practices all summer long were no joke!

I felt pretty much the same way the rest of the season, but there wasn't anything like that first race. We got to go to five races total. The last one was where it all began, at Springville for Region, October the 2nd.

I never participated in a sport, so I wondered if it helped or hindered to have us there. However, Grayson would always assure us, "Thanks for coming. It helped a lot." When Matt would yell, "Dig deep, Grayson!" It was just what he needed to hear. Every. Time.

Enjoy the season in pictures. 






It made me happy to see him eating a loaf of homemade zucchini bread. I made 18 mini loaves and stuck them in the freezer. He's one to need a snack, or he gets hangry. Every day that he would show up to practice, he would have to sit in the truck for a minute to have a snack and prepare mentally. He was always in the worst mood at that time of day. He had to talk himself out of it. He needed his alone space. There was a kid who would sidle up to him and run with him the whole time. Grayson would try and ditch him by saying, "I'm going to walk for a while." The kid would walk too. 

You win some, and you lose some—well, in this case, you don't. 
He even made the paper!

He'll never shake us!