27 Years! Aug 26, 2021—All the Details

My turn! Years ago, we started switching off who plans our Anniversary. Life circumstances play into our options each year. With the loss of an additional driver, we have backslid in our independence somewhat. This Anniversary meant no overnight stay; we needed to stay local. No problem, this valley is not lacking in fabulous food. People come here to celebrate. Two restaurants I was deciding between were The Lakehouse or The Corner. As I looked online, both have comparable menus…both pricey. Matt said, "It's okay, we are celebrating, choose what you want!" I decided to think about it some more (because I have to overthink everything, ya know). 

August 26th began early. My water aerobics class is at 5:45 am on Thursdays. It was followed by seeing the kids off for school and then serving in the Provo Temple. Even though I knew Grayson wouldn't be in the bunch, I stood and watched as the Elders rented clothing downstairs. He's one of them! So close and yet so far. After my shift, I ran into Burlington for a few things and then donated plasma. Back up the canyon, I took Callie to the UPS store to mail Grayson a package (Graham took Grayson's pants out of his suitcase to wear the first day of school, but he didn't put them back. Gah.) And THEN it was time to celebrate the Anniversary. I had had time to think about our evening while in the temple that day, and I decided that going to one of those two restaurants would be too expected. I hatched another plan instead…

Matt showered up after doing yard work, I put on heels and a sparkly necklace. He said, "You drive." 

I told him, "You will be blindfolded." 

He said, "It's good you are driving then!"

He was a good sport as we drove to our destination. Once we arrived, it was time for him to take off his blindfold. 

McDonald's.

Hee hee. His face!

He said, "We are eating here???" Yep. Love a good Filet-O-Fish now and again. Inside seating isn't allowed so we went through the drive-through.

I noticed, "Look, patio seating!"

So there we sat with our sandwiches looking at the greens…Walgreens. There was rhyme and reason to my madness, however. When I was sixteen, Matt took me skiing in Park City. We stopped at McDonald's in Heber. The first place we ever ate in this town. We each had to share what we remembered about that date. 

Since Graham was at band practice, we brought him a meal. He looked at us strangely when we dropped off Mickey D's. We don't do that. 

I had told Matt not to get too full because we would be going other places as well. He couldn't guess. Our next stop was Granny's! Everyone thinks that Granny's Drive-In is the heart of Heber. The truth is, locals NEVER go there. You can bet that every person there is a tourist, just as we were 27 years ago when stopped in Heber on yet another date. Little did we know that we would one day raise our family here.

We shared more memories over onion rings and a raspberry shake. 

It looks like one of the original booths is still outside. I bet it is the exact one we sat in. 

The evening also consisted of driving by our townhouse, hunting down white grape bubbly (it took three stops), exchanging gifts at the park, and picking the perfect dessert from Lee's (it was Day's when we were dating) to share with Graham and Callie at home that evening.

Home now:

Matt and I enjoyed the rest of the cake the next day at duck pond. I walked over to feed the ducks but soon realized how quickly that could get out of hand! 

Matt is a good sport and went along with it all. Just being together, laughing, and talking was the point. Truth is, we had been celebrating all week long. Having just finished the book, Jane Eyre, I checked out my favorite movie version from the library. I don't know why I insisted Matt watch it with me. It took us three nights. I'd look over and see that he had dozed off so I'd pause it and turn it off. The next day I'd inform him, "You didn't get out of a thing buddy." 

With the Anniversary on my mind, I realized Mike and Donna would have been celebrating their 40th on Saturday. Being the first anniversary that he's gone, we took her roses and to one of their favorite places the following Saturday; Applebee's.

We weren't in a rush this time and subsequently had a delightful evening chatting as a party of five. It's a toss-up; when I married Matt, I gained a great guy and an equally great mother-in-law.