Christmas in July (the 27th—Aug 3rd 2021)

Binnie, 

This last week felt like such a special week, a holy week. Having family around is fulfilling. However, your absence was palpable. The week included dinners, shopping, movies, Payson Temple, camping, hiking, floga, yoga, swimming, canoeing, kayaking, dancing, cooking, eating, dining out, chatting, laughing, crying, loving, connecting, playing, donating, worshiping, marveling, and SLEEPING. It was quite the week. I feel like we did more in seven days than in the rest of the summer combined. I told Mal, "If you go home and say that you didn't do much while you were here..." And you can bet that I ended the week owning a pair of Chaco's. Phew!

MON: The week began with picking up Mallerie from the airport. Dad got a Hawaiian-themed package in the mail from work, so he greeted her with a lei. Dad asked if she was hungry. She was! He treated us to IHOP in West Valley;)

Back at home, we started ratteling off the errands we needed to do in Orem. Dad kept saying, "We'll do that before the temple tomorrow." After a spell, however, I realized there simply would not be time for all of that. We headed down the canyon for our errands right then instead. We ended at Costa for din-din. It was great to settle in downstairs that evening, and watch the Tokyo Olympics together. Swimming is a favorite for sure!

TUES: Floga! There have been random crowds at the pool this summer, so we were lucky to get a board! Mal said she kept getting texts from Grifols that she'd get $100 for her donations this week. We decided it was worth our time to go! I finished first, so I headed to pick up Grandma for the temple! We were all so excited to go, Gray was as well! 

Holiness to the Lord—July 27, 2021

In the weeks leading up, he and I spent a fair amount of time going over Temple Prep scriptures. What we could have prepared for better though, was having him start the session with a full stomach. I'm afraid his hunger pangs took center stage in his thoughts:/ Nonetheless, it was a dreamy evening. The air temperature, the grounds, the people. Dreamy. (Cade and Ash took turns being the photographer). I know it meant the world to Gray to have so many family members supporting him.

L to R: Tyrell, Reagan, Sophie, Mallerie, Me, Grayson, Dad, Grandma Donna, Lindsey, Grandpa, Granny, Sadie, Ashley/Cade! 

So special to have all grandparents there. After going through the temple with seven granddaughters, it was nice to go through with a grandson!



The gorgeous foliage nearly stole the show altogether. DREAMY.


Mallerie left the family name on the dining room table that she had printed out. Dad assumed I had printed a name for him to take. Since Guadalupe is a unisex name, Dad grabbed it. He nearly went through the temple for her. Mallerie said that is the second time she has left Guadalupe behind. Oh, dear.

After the photo shoot, guess where everyone voted on for dinner? COSTA! So back we went. Yum.

I am debating whether to share the miracle of the tire here. It's really not my story to tell since I wasn't there. Nonetheless, I probably tell it better, har-har. So here it is from My Point of View.

A Holy Tire
Mal and I took Grandma to Orem after the temple, so we were surprised that Dad and Gray were not home when we arrived back in Heber. Ten minutes later, Dad texted, "Tire Trouble." Here is what happened: As Dad and Grandpa visited in the parking lot afterward, Grandpa mentioned that his car was making a strange sound. Dad watched him drive it and noticed a nail in the tire. Dad assured Grandpa that he would make it home just fine (apparently, Dad drove to New Mexico and back with a nail in his tire) but Grandpa asked Dad and Grayson to follow him on the freeway—just in case. They hadn't been on the freeway long when the tire on Grandpa's car completely blew. Exploded. Shredded. I don't know how they managed to get to the off-ramp without colliding with another car, but they did! One of the bolts was stripped so they could not loosen it to get the tire off. It was Granny who walked around the car and noticed that each wheel had one of the unusual bolts. It was not stripped; it was supposed to be like that. Grayson gave me a perfect reenactment of Granny, "Ray, each of the wheels has that same star-shaped bolt." Still, how to loosen it?
A good Samaritan stopped to help. He said he stops to help people all of the time but he has never seen such an odd bolt. He pulled up a YouTube video and learned that they would need a special key to loosen it. Sing it, "Where's the key, where's the key..."

As Grayson stood off to the side with Granny, he suggested that they say a prayer. So simple! What a sweet memory he has of praying with Granny on the side of the freeway. Because of his prayer, he was guided to look in the glovebox where he found the key! They were able to switch out the tire to the spare and be on their way. Grayson said that each person played a role in making it happen. Most of all, we all marveled at seeing the hand of the Lord so clearly.

Jokingly, Grandpa took the rim into the tire shop the next day, placed it on the counter, and said, "I need to fix a flat."

We Climbed the "HOLE" Mountain, July 28, 2021

WED: Just like last year, without more than a day's notice, I found myself preparing to hike Timp! It was a day to one year to the day. Does that make sense? We met at the trailhead at 3 pm and began hiking at 3:30. We talked Callie into coming! From our bunch: Me, Mal, Gray, and C. From the Krull's: Janel, Dani, Tesha, Gloria, and their little dog Andy! 
And just like last year, after the first mile, the kids left Janel and me in the dust. 
Then came the rain! It poured for two hours. Knowing all the prayers that have been offered for rain, I didn't dare ask for it to stop. Janel and I debated if we should turn around but just then Mal called to warn us of a moose ahead on the trail. She assured us that the trail was fine though, so we forged on. Once again, as we were reached the lake, the youngins were at the saddle—even little Andy!

I'll tell ya what. There is never a sandwich that tastes better than one at the top of Timp!
The wildflowers were splendid but not as splendid as last year. This year, it was the mountain goats that stole the show. Dozens. Oh, and that moose!
In hindsight, I would have told Callie to not run that morning with the Cross-Country team—to conserve her energy. She did fine going up but struggled coming down. By the time they caught up with us, her head was pounding. I gave her some Aleve and one of my poles and she soldiered through. We finished at 12:15 am. The kids said that Andy was lying on his back in the car—completely pooped. That is how I felt!

THURS: came bright and early. We didn't have time to rub our sore muscles for long cause Kat was flying in! Since Dad had a meeting and Mal was the only one up, she joined me. Dad had treated to IHOP, I treated to Tulie Bakery. I totally should have taken photos of this beautiful food. The Food Nanny suggested the Olive Oil Cake and it was WOW. Happy. Birthday. Kat. Katrina said she often walked by that bakery when she lived in SL so she was excited to go in this time. We sat outside with our toast and tarts. As for me, I loved every minute of it.

After getting settled at home, we all headed down the mountain for fun and games. While Mal and I sold our blood, the others goofed off at Nickel City. (Between the two activities, I'd rather donate blood!)


We dined at Riverwoods while sitting outside, eating, enjoying—just being together was the BEST. Sans our Binnie:(
We were not the only ones having a reunion of sorts. It seemed like every group around us suddenly had a person walk up to their table and then the cries would begin, "I haven't seen you in forever!" I reminded the family that just the week before, I had met up with my friends at this very place who...I hadn't seen in forever!

I was torn if I should go to Jungle Cruise with Dad, Graham, and Callie, or Old with Katrina, Mallerie, and Grayson. I let Dad decide. He bought me a ticket for Old. By the time the awful previews were over, I was ready to switch theatres. One horror film after another. I said, "This was the worst part of my year." Thankfully, the movie was more of a thriller than horror. At one point, an elderly lady called from the front of the theatre, "Which movie is this???" Someone called back, "Old." She said, "I've got Alzheimer's." Seems she was in the right place!

Since our movie got out first, Mallerie and I walked down to Süss Cookie Co. for half a dozen to share. We all sat at the table and picked away at them. Dad felt daring and walked through the fountain sprays—without getting wet! This set off a chain where everyone wanted a turn, except for me, who chose to be the photographer. You had to have some fancy footwork to not get wet. Kat got it the worst. We laughed when Grayson just strolled through, without getting a drop on him...twice!


It was a near-perfect night. Unfortunately, we realized at breakfast the next morning, that we had left our box of cookies on the table.

Miner's Retreat 2021

FRI: Mallerie joined me at water aerobics while Kat brunched with friends. Friday was all about getting ready for the Campout at Miner's Retreat! You probably don't even remember the news story of when all-things-homemaking Martha Stewart was put in prison for embezzlement. Well, when she got out, she was on the "Today Show." As she demonstrated a recipe, the host kept asking questions about her time in prison. Finally, Martha said, "Now I need to focus on my salad." It became a classic.
So, as everyone loaded tents, sleeping bags, and gear, I focused on my salad. The girls and I made SEVEN! Dad BBQed chicken and steamed rice. The extended family has grown so big (literally, have you seen all those teenage boys?) that it is like prepping for a ward party. So, we made those types of salads—ones we would never make otherwise—there is such a thing as a Snicker's "salad."

That afternoon, while at Walmart, we even decided to get little sodas. Family reunions make us do crazy things:)


Loved watching the cute brothers playing Kan Jam and Corn HOLE.
In years past, raccoons were an issue. This year it was the wasps! They were crazy but also lazy. The kids were able to catch them quite easily without getting stung. I saw cups of water with drowned wasps here and there. One landed in my food but was too lazy to leave. Mal found one on her plate at the end of her meal—or was it only half of one?
Scarlett and Callie performed a cute dance for us, which set off the main activity for the remainder of the campout. Night or day. The Goulding kids showed us a dance that we spent the next few days trying to learn. Dancing is haaaaaard. Don't let my whipping hair fool you!



The Gouldings just have it in their bones or something—even Hartman. Though Mal represented with her Polynesian dancing!


   
I am glad we could speak on the phone, so I could describe the funny skits. As I drove back to the campsite the last morning, I laughed out loud as I thought of them. Beauty and the Beast was the perfect theme. Graham opted to attend the Demolition Derby with Tyson that night instead. We can be all be happy that he also got in some shooting time with the cousins. FINALLY. Phew!

"To the Boulders!"
 As we looked at the sky on the way to our hike, there seemed to be a little Harry Potter theme going on. The clouds looked as though someone was ready to conjure the dark mark. But we made it!



Below: Photo credit to Jon. That view!

I found it ironic that this is one of the driest summers on record but the two times I hiked this summer I got poured on! The rainstorm was the other activity that night. As the kids danced with their glow sticks, I realized that they couldn't be any wetter, even if they had jumped in the lake!  The day before, we HAD jumped in the lake. 

SAT: Deer Creek—July 31, 2021
I was so happy to have Katrina and Mallerie join me for Yoga at Town Square in Midway. The day was picturesque. The smoke had blown away, and the sun was shining. We got smoothies at the Fit Stop afterward. A perfect start to a great day. When friends asked, "Ooh, are these your adult daughters?"

I added, "I have another in Virginia!"

By the time we went back home to change, then back out to the campsite to retrieve forgotten life vests, we were the last to arrive at the lake. The waterline is so low that it is a hike just to get to the water. We hauled everything over only to hear Gray ask, "Did you bring lunch?" Gah! No, I had not. Ash had a laundry basket of snacks to tide us over. Saved the day.
At one point, Katrina and Raegan went out in the innertubes, without life vests. I was a bit nervous about that, so I circled them like a vulture while in a kayak. Out of nowhere, paddled up little Ollie. All alone on his own kayak. He was really chatty. He started asking what grade Kat and Raegan are in. Then he didn't seem surprised at all that they are TEACHERS. Ollie did mention, "If you need help, I can't help you. I am not strong enough to pull you back." Mal and Callie paddled over in a canoe with Vi and Iv. It was a party. Kat's tube was drifting in the wrong direction faster than her arms could paddle, and she was getting cold. I was glad Big Momma could come to the rescue and tote her ashore. We have come a long way from, "You kids having a good time out there?"

The Sabbath—a Delight
Dad has to pick and choose which Sunday's to be absent for. Since we technically were in town, he carried on with his meetings. Mallerie and I drove into Heebs for church. The meetings were nice; however, it was when we arrived back at the campsite and saw the family enjoying themselves by working on crafts, playing games, and visiting that the spirit hit me the strongest. Family is so important. 
It was the holiest experience of the day. 

Granny and Grandpa Started it All!
While Janel and I hiked on Wednesday, she asked about my mom. With ten hours of hiking, we cover a lot of ground and topics. I told her all the fun traditions we had growing up. In fact, I should record them on paper. I told her that we celebrated everything from April Fools to St. Patrick's. My mom sewed me a new Easter and Christmas dress every year. The mysterious Valentine door-bell ditcher. So many traditions to recount.
I took an opportunity at the campout to relive these memories with Granny. 
We got to celebrate Christian's 11th Birthday! Those Costco cakes can feed a crowd. I could not believe there was still some left, even the next day. 

MON: Checkout! Dad drove Graham to band camp that is happening this whole week. It was sweet of Jon to spearhead the campout this year. Dad has too much on his plate.

If it was home cooking the girls were expecting, they surely were disappointed. Aside from all those salads, I never made anyone any food during the week! Dad has been boasting about the Corn Dog Co. truck. Using such words as, "life-changing." We had to give it a try. MMMMMM. 
Mal kept saying, "Love a good corn dog."

The last time we visited Grandma while she was sick, she said, "When this is all over, I want to go out to eat!" Since she is finally on the mend, we let her choose. Her choice was Applebee's, so we celebrated with her on Monday night before taking Katrina to the airport. 
Mal and Callie swung in to get an embroidery pattern and hair clips from Romney. 

Back at Grandma's, we got to see Kei's family. Those babies! I should have snapped a photo of their sweet faces. I asked her if she gets comments wherever she goes. She sure does. Justin was driving up as we were leaving. I told Mal, "You've seen just about everyone while you are here!"

(Note: Mal was headed down the walkway at the airport when someone chased her down. It was Mark and Jamie! They were on their way to Texas to be with Rachel, who is expecting... baby Jamie!)

During her stay, Kat went back and forth visiting various friends. It was a surprise to the family that Kat and Mal were at the campout at all! So fun. 

I thought it was sweet when Mal told me. "As I looked around at the campout, I thought, 'I am glad I am in the Bocanegra Family."

I always want to be with my own family...and the Lord has shown me how I can...The Lord has shown me how I can.

We did our annual Temple-Square-progress-visit on our way home from the airport. The temple is surrounded by scaffolding, the foundation is exposed; it's a work in progress. 

We would have walked around more, but Callie had a headache, and we were all feeling a bit pooped from the busy week. I love to socialize and see family and friends, but I find that I have to decompress afterward. Mal says it is just the opposite for her. Socializing gives her more energy. I believe that is the difference between introverts and extroverts. 

Cozying up on my bed and watching the Olympics that night was where it was at! We watched the gymnast, McKayla Skinner from the U of U, take silver on the vault. Very exciting. 


TUES: brought on yet another trip to the airport. Mal's flight was delayed, so she and I lolly-gagged at Zupas, enjoying the sun on the outdoor patio. It was good to catch up after a couple of crazy years. 

And now, dear daughter, YOU are caught up! So anxious to hear about your new transfer, companion, and training. Within the week, I will have two missionaries: Gray and, "Another one in Virginia!"

Loads of love, Mom!