Christmas Eve/Day/Break 2021

December 23, 2021—Daddy Fun Day!

(What the kids call Christmas Adam)

First to fly in, fresh from her European vacation, was Mallerie Shae. Since it was Daddy Fun Day, Matt and the kids picked her up mid-morning at Salt Lake International. Mid-afternoon, they picked up Katrina Lucy at Provo Municipal Airport. Graham arranged Katrina's flight and said that was the best option. Who knew that Allegiant airlines jets back-and-forth between Provo and Austin so often?

My family is my world. Nonetheless, you hear about people who struggle with different things over the holidays. Well, I will admit that I am one of those people. Maybe posterity needs to hear that. Christmastime is a time of joy and also a time where complicated feelings are under a magnifying glass—such as especially missing my missionaries. Here is the advice I would give, find joy! For me, my Christmas Day is Daddy Fun Day. That probably seems weird because I am home alone. But I choose the food and movies I want etc, plus, I get me. I spend the day busy but also reflecting on my blessings till my heart feels nigh it could burst. And isn't the anticipation of an event part of the fun? It doesn't matter what happens after that because I've already celebrated Christmas. He-he.

December 24, 2021—Let the Festivities Begin!

Once again, we enjoyed a day at Midway Ice Rink as friends of the Sheriff. Midway is charming. It is charming in the summer, it is charming in the winter. In fact, the Lifetime movie I watched has scenes shot in Midway (I know, I know, my Osmond obsession continues).


 
 
It was the perfect daytime activity on Christmas Eve. Mallerie and I were the only ones who stayed on the ice the entire time, so deep in conversation, we were—though we were constantly being shouted hellos by our friends from this valley that we have called home for 21 years. Katrina said that as she tried to chat with Dad on the sidelines, they were constantly interrupted with hello's, pats on the back, or "Hey Bishop." She said, "He's like a celebrity."

Back at home, after everyone had settled into various activities, I got in the van to take something to a sister I minister to. I could have walked, but it was drizzly out. First, I pulled over to get the mail. I heard, "Hey, Mrs. Bocanegra!" It was Grayson's friend Corbin, who was on foot. I asked where he was headed, "Dairy Keen." I told him to hop in. It was so good to see him and hear about school at SUU. The next day, when I talked to Gray, he said that he thought it was so random to get a photo from Corbin, "Your mom took me to lunch on Christmas Eve." When I had dropped him off, I said, "Corbin, you made my day." He said, "no, you made mine!"

While Grandma was over for Sunday dinner in October, I invited her to stay with us for Christmas since this would be her first Christmas alone. I was putting the bug in her ear early just so she could think about it. I know not sleeping in your own bed is rough—we would understand either way. Matt called her on Dec 23rd to let her know the invitation still stood. She was IN. Whoop whoop! Always a party with Grandma.

We have not had plans on Christmas Eve, well, ever! This year, it was just us, so I put Christmas Eve on my way. 

Dressing up was optional. Everyone opted in. After all, we are celebrating the birth of our Lord.

Feeling encouraged at the positive response the guys had at eating shrimp in Hawaii, I decided to make coconut shrimp on Christmas Eve. Course, Matt wanted to do some steak as well, and oh my, it all turned out divine! We enjoyed a lovely three-course meal. Graham read Luke 2 in his delightfully deep voice. We enjoyed our cake and fun that evening.






You never know when those dance dresses might come in handy again.




I practiced a wedding cake for Mal, inspired by my recent study of the Baroque era, which is described as an "overdone wedding cake." Yeah. I like that. The more overdone the better, I say.

The siblings exchanged gifts in the living room. Granny's gift always puts a smile on our faces. Granny...

I was the last to head downstairs after the cake. Our dining room table continues to be a sacred space in our home. 


Done with the festivities upstairs, we retired to the basement. Do you hear bells, baby?

Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight!

December 25, 2021




Christmas morning is always full of surprises, but the Baker's coming out of the storage room??? WHAAAAAA????
A Lifetime movie moment.

Graham is sitting there wondering how this might affect his wildest dreams coming true;)

We flip-flopped gift opening with Christmas brunch for our weary travelers who had driven through the night from Colorado. 


Always room for more at the table. Always. Even for Ava and Grayson, who joined from Virginia and Illinois. My heart.


Turns out you can have your cake and eat it too. Graham's wildest dreams still came true. He was a good reactor, "Oh, yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah!" 
 
Christmas magic all around.





Christmas Break—Dec 26th-Jan 6th 2022

We had a WHITE Christmas. Gavin was on. it. The Disney Shmlakets were cracking me up.
Over the break, we took advantage of the beauty and took a mile walk up Memorial Hill. We had a whole week of merry-making and fun.

 






So fluffy, pretty, and fun. We had all piled into our van for the drive out to Midway. On the way back, Gus wanted to play a game. He would ask everyone in the car a question, "Mallerie's Dad, what is your favorite..." "Mallerie's mom, what is your favorite..." It was cute.
It was sweet having a 7-year-old in the house over the holidays. I drug out boxes of toys, made cocoa, crafted, and read stories. The way Mia and Gavin dote on him is really sweet. 


The night I took Katrina to the airport was a bliiiiiiizzzzzard. I worried about her taking off in that weather. It took me two hours to get back up the canyon. I honestly don't know how I did at all except that I must have had a team of guardian angels pushing the van up the snow-packed roads as I inched along.

 The next morning, I tried to take Callie to her friend's house but didn't get far out of the driveway. I was so tired of being stuck in the snow that I just left the van there. Callie walked (down the street) to her friend's. Mal asked what the van was doing like that. I told her I was tired of dealing with the snow and that the van was stuck. Next thing I knew they were all out there working away. So sweet.
 

They weren't in Hawaii anymore, that's for sure.
Every now and then Callie would pass by on the sled and wave to us. 





The Mall and the Squall

Mallerie and Gavin had great success at finding their wedding clothes on the same day! Gavin was fitted for his first-ever suit at Men's Warehouse, and then just Mal and I went to Provo Towne Centre while everyone else went to Provo Beach Resort. As soon as when we walked into Dillard's, Mallerie pointed, "Something like that!" V-neck, check, butterfly sleeves, check, no lace or sequins, check. The only downside was that it was a pantsuit. We toyed with the idea but Mal said, "I want to wear a dress." We showed the picture to the gal at the alteration shop and were assured that she could make it into a dress and take it down a size. Next, we mulled the decision over mango smoothies. "Yes," Mal decided, "Let's do it." We went back to Dillard's and made the purchase. We were so happy to have found THE "DRESS!" We squealed as we rode the elevator.

We got our little schpeel ready for when we saw Gavin.
As we approached him, I said, "SHE SAID..."
Mallerie finished, "YES TO THE DRESS!!!" 
He couldn't believe it since she is the pickiest person in the world. He swung her around, and they were both oh-so-happy to have their wedding clothes decided!

All of us got an alarming beep on our phones about an incoming SQUALL. The weather didn't seem too bad when Gavin pulled out with everyone else. Graham decided to ride with me and we got sidetracked at the new Waffle Love at Riverwoods. It wasn't till we had started up the canyon and the flakes started flying that we looked at each other and said, "The squall!" Wow. At one point Graham said, "Mom! How are you still driving? I think we should pull over." But that would only put us sitting on the sidelines as it got worse for us to drive in. I know the canyon like the back of my hand and it wasn't really sticking yet. We pressed on and made it home. Everyone wondered why we had dawdled after the warning. We must have squalls for brains.


Cute pregnant Romney came and said hello. She gave birth to baby Pearson Woolf just four days later.
 Sadie had messaged me just moments before when Mallerie knocked softly on my door that morning, "Romney had the baby!"

The first great-grandchild!

What are ya doin' New Years' Eve? 
On New Year's Eve, I asked Mal and Gav to tell us about their courtship some more during dinner. It was funny to hear it from their different perspectives. After dinner, we finally played a game that Graham got last Christmas but requires more players than we have in our house. A great evening.


New Year's Day
Saying goodbye. I don't use, "I know how you feel" lightly, but this time I did know how Mal felt. When Matt and were engaged, he left to work in California for the month before we got married. Separation is hard. We all sort of just gloomed around for a few days after our company left.

SEVENTY-FIVE! January 3, 2022
Wanting to do something special for Grandma Donna's big 75th, we reserved a globe at Cafe Galleria in Midway. Though it was cold outside, it was warm inside the bubble (sometimes too warm—we had to crack the door). Super yummy food—Donna says it is the best salmon she's ever had.

 Boy, do we love our Grandma/Mom Donna! She recently finished recording her life stories before compiling them. She has lived it all. A full, colorful, beautiful life. 
She looked so lovely. Happy Birthday!


Jan 4, 2022

Mallerie extended her stay so she could get a gum graft in Orem. We sent this pic to Ava because she loves getting molds taken. Can you imagine loving it? A gum graft is as gruesome as one can imagine. Yes, they scraped the entire roof of her mouth to use for the gum graft. She was a bloody-mouthed mess. After we got home so she could rest, the gal from the alteration shop called and said she needed Mallerie to come and try on the dress. We got in the car and drove back down the canyon to Provo Towne Centre. This was a time we were thankful for the mask policy. Mallerie had a retainer full of straight blood. It broke my heart, but I was hopeful that she would not be in pain anymore. 
The dress was perfect on her. 

Hamilton Jan 6, 2022

Callie got a Hamilton ticket for Christmas, including a night on the town with me and Matt and the cousins. Turns out we didn't get together beforehand with everyone, and since Mallerie's flight was delayed till the next morning, Matt made a last-minute decision to give her his ticket. As the three of us walked to the theatre, Mallerie said, "Callie, I didn't know I would be joining you on your Christmas present." 

I think we were all pretty exhausted by this point, and a drive downtown was a little stressful. We aren't Hamilton super-fans per se, but the Eccles Center is an amazing building, and seeing any show done professionally is a treat. I had just begun an American Government class so learning more about Alexander Hamilton was interesting and of course, the talent was spot on. Very entertaining.


The Theatre is dreamy.
This was the only time the extended family was available, so it was good Mal could give a brief "hello!" before her "goodbye!"
The guy that someone asked to take our photo turned out to be our cousin, Greg Tucker. I graduated with him. As we posed, he said, "Wait, is this the TAYLOR'S???!!!"

Guilty!