June Bug 2023


SAN DIEGO COUPLES RETREAT 
Okay, we've been home for a month, time to head out of town again. Callie packed her bags for Girl's Camp in Scofield, Graham packed his bags for Flight Camp in Logan, and Matt and I packed our bags for San Diego! When we were out to dinner with Emily and Darren last December, Matt brought up an invite to them for a June trip to San Diego. Before Matt could even finish any specifics, Darren said, "We're in." We have talked about taking a couples trip forever, but life happened and the trip never did. We were barely able to squeeze this one on June 5th-8th. We were stoked to meet up at the airport, "We are doing this, guys!"

The last time we were in San Diego together was in 2000 when we each had two children. Now we just have two left at home and they are empty-nesters.

I told Matt he could have the window seat on the flight there. However, I've never seen a window seat without a window! When we landed, Emily and I laughed that out of all the options to watch on the plane, we chose the same episodes of I Love Lucy

We enjoyed our time in San Diego very much. On our first day, we ate Mexican food, shopped in Old Town, and toured the Mormon Battalion Historic site. 

I'd recommend the interactive tour to everyone. None of us had been and we were pleasantly surprised with how well it was done. The Sister leading us through the tour was familiar to me. When she said she was from Arizona, I realized it was because her sister served in Heber. She's probably the only Sister whose name I remember, Sister Matheny. In fact, we still keep in touch. I sent her a picture of the small world meet-up. 

Outside, a senior missionary told us about panning for gold, "but you guys won't be interested." He should never assume because Emily was interested. On our walk back, Emily bit into some horrific Mexican candy that nearly had her running back to dunk her head in the panning for gold water. Oh, did we get a laugh out of that one! We also got a kick out of Darren's pleading face to buy this poncho. It was the perfect time to tell my Jerry Seinfeld poncho joke.

It was great to go back and chat in the Marriott lounge. No obligations, no hurry. Emily had been carrying around her leftovers all evening and finally tossed them in the trash. Haha. 

CORONADO

The following day, we Ubered our way to Coronado. We always made Matt sit up front with the driver. Emily sat in the middle back. The three of us were a tight fit in the back seat. Emily got a massage as I tried to find my seatbelt clicker each time. Darren grew up in San Diego and suggested his favorite places. I remembered Coronado as picturesque as it is. We walked around the Hotel Coronado (it's like stepping back in time). On the beach, we realized it was the anniversary of D-day. There were spectacular fly-overs and sand art to commemorate the historic day. 

We rented bikes and rode along the coast. Earlier, Matt had been telling us about his mission. When he had a companion he didn't enjoy, he would bike really fast so the guy couldn't keep up with him. Well, on this bike ride, Matt was waaaay out in front. When Darren passed me, I said, "I think we are getting a feel for what Matt's companions went through." We all had electric bikes, but Matt was treating his more like a motorcycle! 

Later, we lunched on the terrace of a darling restaurant. My chicken sandwich was on point. Also, the cherry ice cream down the street was the best I've had. I'd do that same day all over again. 


PETCO PARK

That evening, we walked from our hotel to Petco Park for a San Diego Padres game against the Seattle Mariners. We were loving our stay right downtown. Summer at the ballpark is always a good time. Emily and I gabbed the whole time (and from the photos, we ate a lot as well). I didn't even know the score. I gathered that the Padres had lost by the glum expressions on the fan's faces on the walk back (though we were seated by some very happy Seattle fans). We were on the fourth row, which ended up being too close. It meant a lot to Darren to go to the Padres game. Emily did not want to, but Matt would only go if I went, and I was fine with going, so we all went!




SEAPORT VILLAGE
 We had a great system going on. Matt and Darren would go get breakfast in the morning and bring it back to us in our separate hotel rooms at the Marriott Pulse. I felt a bit spoiled but didn't mind till they brought back a green drink for each of us. Emily texted to see if I had tried it (with a bunch of vomit emojis). I had not. I like green drinks. How bad could it be??? BAAAAAD.

We gathered in the lobby to discuss what we wanted to do on our final day. We teased Matt that all of his suggestions were major touristy. There weren't any seats left on the SEAL tour anyway. We made our way to SeaPort Village and just enjoyed the view. There were some anorak chairs in the sand that we took over all afternoon. We watched the boats going by and witnessed an impromptu dog parade. If I was a dog watcher (like a bird watcher) I could have chalked off nearly every breed. It was hilarious. 

We walked to the Gaslamp Quarter for dinner. All major cities have a Gaslamp. It was such a fun night to chat and walk and relax with such good friends before flying home the next day.

Matt contrasted our trip with Darren and Emily to a local adult gathering we had been to soon before. He said the latter felt so stuffy. We both commented on how much we enjoy being with the Springers and concluded it is because we can totally be ourselves. That comes with knowing people for 30+ years. I'm loving this phase of life. 

CAMPS for CHAMPS

The evening we flew home was the last night of Girl's Camp. We drove straight to Scofield for Bishopric night. It was a beautiful drive with how green everything was and we saw full bodies of water. On the way, one of the camp directors called to see if I could help with the faith walk. I let her know we wouldn't be arriving till 7 pm, but if that still worked then yes. They weren't even eating till then so there was plenty of time. After dinner, I waited at my spot on the trail; a moment of calm to practice my lines. It was fun watching Callie having such a grand time with her friends and leaders. I appreciate all of their work. It's not nothing. I know.

The next morning, we got to drive more of our beautiful state when we drove up to Logan to attend the awards ceremony for Graham's flight camp. We enjoyed a catered pasta lunch in the hangar. It was great to see the bonding that had gone on with his group during the week. I guess his first flight didn't go so well when he got immediately airsick...without a vomit bag in sight. I bet they stocked those planes for the next group:) The rest of his tales were all positive. Graham had registered for this camp in the summer of 2020, which was canceled, then in subsequent years it was online only, which did not interest him. I will admit, I was trepidatious about sending a 13-year-old anyway. I felt much better about sending a 16-year-old. 

PREVENTION COALITION at BRYCE CANYON June 14th-15th

As you can see, we squeezed in our trip to San Diego on the only dates possible. The following day, Callie and I both worked at the train, She was working her regular Monday night shift, and I was volunteering for a family night. My booth was the Angry Bear booth where I taught a quick think-before-acting- lesson, and everyone got a can of soda. At that event, I was invited by WBH (Wasatch Behavioral Health) to attend the annual Utah Prevention Coalition in Bryce Canyon the very next day. The timing wasn't great because it was mid-terms, but I also really wanted to see Bryce. I texted the next morning that I was IN. I had a delightful solo road trip to Bryce Canyon National Park seeing more of our beautiful state. I was blown away by the beauty right as I entered the park. I was able to hear the last few speakers of the day once I arrived. We waited in a long line for room assignments so I got to meet fellow coalition members; some of whom I knew from the community. I met the Director for WBH and thanked him for the opportunity to be there and told him I was blown away by how beautiful Bryce is. He asked what I had seen so far. I told him just what I could see from the road as I entered. He said, "You've got to go into the park, it's amazing." This was a trip I knew nothing about. I didn't know if we'd all be staying in a house or what. But I got my own motel room. I was able to take my mid-term exam in peace and quiet, though I had to miss out on the evening astronomy observation. I noticed that the schedule was full the next day with classes, and I really needed the service hours. So, I set my alarm for the crack of dawn to see some of the park before breakfast. WOW! I was even more blown away by how beautiful the actual Bryce Canyon is. There were very few other tourists, which made it feel sacred. I met a couple from New York. This was their first visit. When I told them it was mine as well and I only live four hours away, they couldn't believe it. They said it is their favorite National Park. At the convention, I again saw the director and showed him some of the photos I had taken that morning. He asked, "Did you hike down into the canyon?" I had not. He said, "You've got to hike down to really appreciate it." I am just going to have to go back now I guess.


I learned a trick for taking vertical panoramas, look at the difference! 
 
 I had to give those branches a tug because the tree seemed so fickle. However, those roots were stuck in solid (hey, there is an analogy there somewhere...)

It was a nice day of speakers, activities, lunch, etc. It was unusual for me to be gone at a convention while Matt was home with the kids. I was enjoying myself immensely, so I was somewhat sad to have to get on the road that afternoon when everyone else was staying another night. But I had to get home so that we could take yet another road trip the next day to Idaho for Alivia and Tate's wedding!

WEDDING BELLS JUNE 16TH

Alivia and Tate

 

Aliva and Tate were sealed in the Twin Falls, ID Temple on June 16, 2023. They met on their missions, so they can now sing Spanish love songs to one another. It was such a special day to be a part of. We met Ava and Kate there since they would be going to Elko afterward, but we were only a half hour behind them. Ava began having car trouble with her Jeep overheating. None of us could think of a better solution than to just have her let the car rest from time to time and press on. Phew, they made it. The weather was perfect for a wedding day. The temple grounds were gorgeous and we took our sweet time enjoying them. 


The luncheon was on the lawn of the church where the reception was. I sat with Tate's aunt who had made the wedding cake. I love hearing all that goes into making cakes. Even though the cake wasn't served at the reception, I stole a sliver. It was gooood. And Sadie sewed the dress!



Between the luncheon and the reception, the majority of us drove to Shoshone Falls. I was happy to be back—I love those falls. Tate's family put on such a lovely reception and we cheered as we saw the happy couple off. Then we braved the four-hour drive home. It was a very long day, but I wouldn't have missed it! We sure love our Pie-pie and it was so special to be part of her and Tate's day. 


 

What Else About June?

Matt conducted a baptism the next day while I caught up on mid-terms. It was also Stake Conference. He emailed me the Zoom link for the adult session since he knew how busy I was. I figured that everyone was just as busy and that we all make sacrifices to be there. I was glad to attend in person and feel the strength of gathering with fellow Saints.

Father's Day was next. I seen one a them flyers come 'round for fathers day. Says I, "That shirt is goo' lookin'." I went against my, "I ain't buying him no clothes" policy and ordered it up for Matt. He's so particular about threads and all. Thank goodness he likey!

The young men camped in the high Uintas the 23rd. Not totally Graham's thing but he and Matt got to spend time together and I know he adds a lot to the group. Being outside in general isn't really Graham's thing but I think it's good for him. I'm thankful to the Young Men's Program for providing these opportunities.




At Stake Youth Conference, Callie told me he got up for the talent show and did his Russian dance to thunderous applause.

During that time, I had the place to myself Thursday-Saturday. Callie enjoyed attending FSY in Ephraim.

I was busy with schooling and home stuff, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Bed Bath and Beyond was having a going-out-of-business sale, 70% off! (I had to wait till Matt was out of town to unload the back of the van. Wink wink.) There was a Relief Society social that evening but I could not think of one reason to get out of my leggings to go and chat with people when I was pooped. Instead, I put on a movie and enjoyed my night solo.

I took my neighbor up on the offer to cut pink peonies out of her yard. I ordered a bush for my own yard to hopefully enjoy next year. Callie made this my screensaver so I've been enjoying them ever since.

Can you believe the difference that a month makes with the snow melting? 
I saw waterfalls where there had never been waterfalls before.
The historic Hub Cafe on Main St. is undergoing a complete transformation. It was fun to watch it progress through the end of the year.
Yoga at Midway Town Square was a Saturday morning favorite of mine. Matt began enjoying it as well. Sometimes I saw myself on the Instagram page. The gal that runs it also features someone on Friendship Friday. I was pleasantly surprised to see my cousin, Bill, featured.


My friend that I go to Yoga with had tickets to the Miss Wasatch Pageant since her daughter was competing. We go every year. Her daughter won! But not for Miss Wasatch, they created a new additional crown this year, which is Miss Heber Valley. The lady announcing had a Marge Simpson voice—I didn't know how much more I could listen to.


Mal and Gav were spending their summer in Bora Bora while Gavin worked there (that is where you have to go to be impressed when you live in Kauai;)
On our drive back from Scofield, Mallerie called to tell us all about their adventures in Bora. 
It was as if JOY itself had called.

June Bug
source: https://trippyspirit.com/spirituality/spiritual-meaning-of-a-june-bug/

As their name suggests, June bugs are most often seen during the month of June … Symbolically, this emergence can be seen as a representation of personal growth and transformation

I concur.