Reunited, and it Feels so Good—July 2024

July 2024

The heat of summer—it's a good time. I got to use my skates! After class, we celebrated our yoga teacher's birthday on the plaza rink. The last time I was there, I was on ice skates as a winter baby.

Summer, baby!


El Divo
July 18, 2024

Sean invited us to the Eccles Theater for an El Divo concert; they are new to us, but clearly have a loyal following. 

Sean's back was out, so he kept getting up to leave. I felt bad that he was missing the concert he bought tickets for. Afterward, I asked what he thought of the show. I found it funny that he was unimpressed by how every song was similar. They each sang a part of it solo, and then for the crescendo, they would all join together as though we didn't see it coming. I doubt his back had anything to do with him leaving.

 

Lagooooooon!
July 19, 2024

The last time the family went to Lagoon was the summer of 2020, and we had to wear maaaaaaaasks. However, we got in for half price! I suppose since students had missed their Lagoon days, we got a discount. I think I even got in on the deal since I was a student. In the subsequent years, they really jacked up the prices. We were priced out! BUT by waiting a couple of years, till the wee ones had jobs and could pitch in, it was once again affordable. After four years, our group was thrilled to be back together! Lindsey said that her kids knew where "camp" was because of the Bocs' blanket. It's part of the family.
For us mommas, seeing our kiddos and cousins interact is a real joy. 
The bonds they are creating now will last a lifetime. 
A good chunk of the day, I was with these three: Henry, Pearson, and Sam. 


They each felt nervous about the big rides, and since I've been-there-done-that, I hung with them. Henry and Sam were so patient with Pearson. They would wait in line with him, find out they were too big to ride, wait for Pearson to get buckled in, then Pearson would say, "No," and they would unbuckle him and walk him to the exit. They would point to the next ride, Pearson would nod, and they would get in line and do it all over again. It was hilarious. It is how we did Kiddieland. Now and then, they went on the ride with him and I could see why they were too big!



TaySulZol
July 20, 2024

Such a rare treat to sit and visit with cousin Rach. I soak it up. It is like balm for the soul to be around family. Thanks to Linda for organizing these get togethers and Cash for finding a location. I know it it isn't easy and it is hit and miss with who can come, but it is important. I feel it in my bones.

OHS Class of '94 Reunion
July 27, 2024

I always question if I should go. You know how it is, but I recognize the effort of those who put these things on and appreciate that they do—it's better than not having the option to go. So I went! Boc was a good sport. We got a pic in the O that I walked through at graduation...four days before we were engaged.

Though I was mingling a good chunk of the time, Matt chatted with some peeps as well. He agrees that I graduated with some fine folks. Fine folks.
The O was the only familiar thing. The entire school is new, now standing where the parking lot was. The new parking lot is where the old school stood. I'm glad someone thought to snap a picture before it was torn down.

I am a tiger, blue and gold. My kids have all been Wasatch Wasps. I realized that Poe even boasts the colors of black and gold.

Remembering the Pioneers
July 24, 2024
Graham was working, so we took Callie to Lola's for Pioneer Day. Good ol' Aunt Lola.


Honoring Kat
July 25, 2024
There seems to be an impromptu tradition where we post random pictures on our family group text, Bocas, when one of us is celebrating a birthday. Matt posted this cute pic of Kat on her birthday. I laughed that I am wearing the same top as one of the party guests, who looked thrilled about it.

Miner's Retreat 
July 28th - July 31st 2024
We got a Smith's Marketplace in town. Oh, how I would love it if the old building were turned into a skating rink. I am putting it out into the universe. Though I am sad that the view of the field behind JR Smith is now gone. It has been so hard to see our little valley explode with growth over the past few years, especially, and it seems to only be accelerating. As expected, we couldn't find a thing in the new marketplace. We had quite a list too. We were shopping for our family reunion at Wasatch Mountain State Park, which we go to about every three years. It was time for Miner's! Matt and I put dinner on the first night since we don't have as much to lug over. We had help from cousins for our Mexican fiesta!
 



I had a rough itinerary put together. The first night was a hike to the boulders. It was taking a minute to get going, and the 9ish-year-olds were antsy. Because we were leaving from a different trailhead, I feared them getting lost at dusk, so I headed off with them at quite the pace! I thought, "There is no way they can keep up this pace." They can! But thankfully, so could I.

While everyone posed for photos, in various groups, Solly (the baby of the grandchildren) decided he wanted to direct the photos. He saw us posing and came over. "Matt, put your hands here. Callie, do this..." I. could. not. Too funny!


On the schedule for evening #2 was a talent night. One option was to roast hot dogs at camp and put on our own talent show. The other option was to go to Southfield Park, get a free hot dog, and watch a talent show, our local Fair Days tradition. Everyone chose the second option. It was the perfect night. Eliza marveled at the crowd. She said Provo has turned cray-cray, and you would never see such a gathering anymore. Luke was serving hot dogs. He spent time in our home while Katrina was in high school. He is now on the County Council and teaches at Wasatch. Last year, "the babies," Graham and Callie, were in his class. He's been a great friend to our family. It is fun to see him around town with his wife and two "babies" of his own. I loved watching the teen cousins throw a football around. The younger ones took advantage of the free bounce houses. My parents kept asking how much longer. Wasn't their jam! They had loud comments about those in the talent search. Oh dear, these are members of our community, many of whose families were near us. Aunt Linda showed up at the end! Of course, she pulled up in a cougar blue Tesla with a white leather interior. I was catching up with an old friend, whom I dropped like a dirtbag, and hopped in with Linda. We had a boppin' ride back to camp! 



Day #3 was when the guys went golfing and the gals goofed off at the town square. Literally. The teens decided to accompany the moms around town through the shmancy stores, and basically got kicked out of one. I opted to skate at the town square. I was glad since I've got to face those shop owners regularly! We utilized the lake another day. The afternoon was too windy to fully enjoy it. At one point, a paddle board blew into Ashley's head and nearly knocked her unconscious! Aside from that incident, it was another success with the kiddos running amuck and making memories. After dinner one evening we busted a move to the local theatre to see the summer blockbuster, Twister. I sat behind the teen girls. It was fun to watch them swoon every time Glen Powell came on the screen, which was a lot! Love the fam! We always get the pavilion looking better than we found it upon check out. It has become a sacred space, like an extension of our backyards. 


Olivia!
July 31, 2024
 
Graham scored BOX seats to the Oliva Rodrigo Guts Tour at the Delta Center. He paid the same as regular tickets. I can't believe what we all (myself included) have been willing to shell out for concert tickets the last couple of summers. I have no room to talk. It was cool that his show included dinner. It was fun listening to him describe the concert. He has never heard such loud screaming from girls in his life. Ava was there and concurred, it was the loudest she's heard. It was Graham's first concert, and I love that he put thought into his outfit and how it would coordinate with the album. Again, I have no room to talk. This is the last summer for two years that he has to party it up, and he did it right.
Graham, Baby.