June/July Tune-Ups, 2025

Sunshine and Skills Day
June 3, 2025
The above photo accompanied an article that appeared in a Park City magazine.

Our Middle School Retreat was a last-minute success. One week before, only like two kids had signed up, but I was sure that most parents are like me; they wait till the hustle of May is over to look at what is available for summer. The tweens had only been home for one summer day, and our roster filled up.

Other summer work projects included a couple of sponsor booths at the city park for Music on Main, compliance checks, two sessions of All Stars for middle-school students, and a Skate Park tie-dye event during the fair. 


Patchy
June 5, 2025

Putting my back into it (a phrase from Binnie)! I haven't cut back the overgrowth on the stepping stones for years (maybe a dozen?), and it was high time. The (backbreaking) task served two purposes: It looks better, and I needed the sod for another area of the yard. I am documenting it so I can refer to it in 12 more years.

It is satisfying to get everything weeded, cut back, and planted. I did my tasks in accordance with the Farmer's Almanac, June 5th, (according to an actual Heber farmer). I enjoyed my pumpkin patch so much last year that I decided to plant only pumpkins this year. Matt asked me how many seeds I planted last year. "Four." He asked how many I planted this year. "Twelve."

Adventure awaits!


I wait all year for a peony haul in early June. However, I noticed how sickly my bush was this year. I questioned Matt about it. He said that possibly he got too close with the weed-wacker. He got off the hook, however, when I found Poe one day, using the bush as a nest, resting on the precious stems. 

But I'm so happy with how the privets are filling in.

Welcome Home, Elder Geertsen! 
June 6, 2025
Mission completed.
It was such a special day to welcome Adren home after two dedicated years of service in Syracuse, New York. Nothing like a newly returned missionary!

I have wanted to see the Desert Peak Temple and figured since I was already at the airport, it would just be a jaunt, but it was like 30 more miles to Tooele. When I pulled into the parking lot, it looked suspiciously empty, though not totally. I looked online and saw that there are no sessions in the late afternoon. I knew I couldn't wait around till evening. However, I saw a group of youth enter, which told me that the baptistry was open. I entered and performed confirmations.

Pride and Prejudice

I made it home in enough time for a Friday night date. Matt agreed to go to a production of Pride and Prejudice in Midway. The production was cleverly done, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I tried to get Callie to go, but she is being stubborn about anything Jane Austin.

Just some stuff we've been up to:

The subject of door-to-door salesmen came up. Matt said, "I can't remember the last time we bought something from someone who came to the door." (Aside from cookie dough or punch cards from kids we know.) It's like he jinxed me. The very next night, the doorbell rang, and when I opened it, a young chap was standing there with chips and salsa in hand. Callie and her friend, Gloria, were downstairs watching a movie, so I asked, "Are you here for the movie night?" 
He laughed and said, "No." He stated his cause and said that he was doing a fundraiser. I did end up buying some chips and salsa.
When I told Matt, he asked, "Is the salsa medium, mild, or hot?"
I answered, "Yep!"

June 7th
Adventure Awaits!

Summertime in the Heber Valley is magical. There is no other way to describe it. June 7th was the quintessence of that. I began my morning with yoga in the park at Midway Town Square. After Matt finished doing yard work, I told him we needed to figure out our bike situation. Callie has been biking with her friend and borrowing his family member's bike. It sort of stresses me out, because that is a nice item to borrow.
After breaking the gears on Matt's bike last fall, it was time to take it into the repair shop. Matt came along to help with the lifting. While at the shop, we got looking at the new bikes. They were a decent price (considering how expensive bikes have gotten and compared to e-bikes). I considered buying one, Matt considered the same, and we left with two new bikes! He talked them into giving us a deal if we bought two. I rode mine home, and then we took them out for a spin on the countryside trails of Beaufontaine. 
Note: The purchase included a free tune-up within the year. Then, by the end of summer, the place went belly up!

Translates to beautiful fountain.

I had a stake training later that afternoon (not part of the quintessence), while Matt rode his motorcycle through the hills.
Ava came up to Heber, and she and Callie took the new bikes for a spin. Then we took the paddleboards to Deer Creek. It was a perfect night for it. 


On our bike ride earlier, I spotted the cutest farm stand. In fact, when I pointed it out, I caused Matt to get into a front wheel wobble! Though nothing that kissing the boo-boo couldn't fix. We went back with the girls and picked up a loaf of sourdough. You just Venmo and go on your way. You don't have to worry about, "No pants, no service."
We did more in one day than we do all season! Welcome, summer! 

June 8, 2025
Homecoming and Homes

I had the family photo from Kate's wedding enlarged and matted in a gold frame that I found at the local thrift store. After we listened to Adren give his beautiful report and were filing out of the building, I told my dad, "I have something for you." 
Knowing that my dad will eat just about anything, on the way to the parking lot, I paused at a piece of cake that had been there since the Stone Age, as though that was the surprise, which even he wouldn't eat!
Har-har.
Happy 79th Birthday (5/26)! Happy 55th Wedding Anniversary(5/28)! 

 
Another surprise of the day was seeing the addition that Jon and Lindsey have built onto their house. It flows flawlessly for indoor and outdoor gatherings.

Note: We missed our Stake Conference that day, where they ratified Graham as an Elder, so we missed hearing that. But he wasn't there, and it's been non-stop sustainings, and setting-aparts, for the past six months! Still...

Father's Day
Mallerie texted a photo of a beautiful tea leaf lei she had hand-made and mailed to Matt, which needed to be put in the fridge right away. I didn't have the heart to tell her we were out of town, but I contacted the gal tending to Poe and asked her to fetch it off the porch the next time she went to the house. She pulled through! It was preserved beautifully. I was so happy because it took Mal over three hours to make it.

Sunday, June 15, 2025

I couldn't help but tease her about the cellphone chain she gave me for Christmas that I pretended was a necklace. I wore it to show her that we are both enjoying our neckwear!

Matt also opened a new tie on Sunday morning, which he wore to church. As we sat in our bench, he noted, "Look, brother ______ has the same tie," "So does_____!" "And______" "What is going on....?"
Bwahahaha. 
Therefore, the tea lei was much appreciated; otherwise, he would have just blended in as another dad in a green tie.

The Blue Room
I fussed up the blue room (as I prefer it to be called) for an office space. (My Granny had a "blue room".) I was trying to find a way to frame and display my certificates. Matt suggested one matte with all four framed in one. Leave it to Matt to solve the problem with a mat.

Graham also received a certificate for his Seminary graduation. Okay, that is the last thing.

I was in charge of the Stake Primary Valiant Activity. I put together flyers, posters, and emails, and it turned out well enough!

I knew I had to eliminate some things for the day to make it all work.

7:00 am Relief Society Temple Trip
9:00 am Wasatch Skate club
8:00 am - 12:30 pm Stake Primary Activity
12:45-3 pm Jordanelle Communities Coaltion
3-4 pm Book Mobile Todd Hollow
3:30-9:30 pm Market on Main Sponsorship booth
6:00 pm Book Club: Hamnet
The day was in the 90s, by evening, I felt all salty.

Miss Wasatch/ Miss Heber Valley
July 21, 2025
I'm still hitting the annual Miss Wasatch/Heber Valley pageant. I went with my friend whose daughter is a previous winner. She wasn't sure what role her daughter was even playing in the evening. At a couple of points, her daughter was on the stage in an evening gown. She just shrugged. Ha, sounds like something my daughters would do.
The songs during the evening gown section were great and gave me a renewed love for "Until I found You," by Stephen Sanchez.

New Roof!
July 7, 2025
Aren't we glad we didn't fork over the cash a couple of years ago when the whole neighborhood was replacing their roofs? Ours needed it, but what we really needed was the August 2024 hailstorm that pitted the weak shingles to the point that the insurance covered almost all of it. Yay! We were awoken at 6 am to the loudest clomping we have ever heard in our home. Dozens of steel boots were at work. They finished by 3 pm!

And that brings us to me hardly being home to enjoy it.

For the next 49 days of summer, I was out of town for 30 of them. 
THIRTY.

Pack your bags and let's go!