Fussied and Gussied for the Holidays—December 2025

WELCOME
12/3/25
Ya'know that skiff of snow was IT pretty much.
 
At first when I pained my door coral, I thought I'd have to change it by the time the holidays came around. But I have tied it in every single year!

RESET
Our community holds a free clothing/household exchange at the beginning of each December at the Rec Center. I needed a reason, such as this, to motivate me to clean out my closet. Matt was out of town for work and Callie was in California for a race, so I went to town! I listened to Project 333 and The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up as the voices of reason as I decided what to keep and what to donate or toss. 
So, out of the closet everything came! (Well, my side.)

I found the advice to be true that you don't realize how much you have till you see it all in one place. I put it all on my bed, the suggested place, because that meant I would have to be finished if I wanted to sleep in my bed that night. I made three piles, keep, donate, not sure. 

Eight hours later, my arms ached from holding up items of clothing. I had 3-4 large black bags to donate. 
It felt great!

Aaaaand, I was able to sleep in my bed that night.


When Matt came back into town, he asked, "What are all those bags in the garage? I told him he needed to take them to the Rec Center for me. Though I was glad to be rid of so many things, I was having separation anxiety. I knew if I looked in even one bag, I'd probably hang things back in my closet (cause maybe I did just that). He took the bags for me. I then took the council from Project 333 and didn't buy anything new for months.

LAUGHING ALL THE WAY
I saw this flyer and texted a picture to Matt and said, "Maybe we should go!" He texted back that he had already bought tickets!

The show was the same night as the ward Christmas party, so at least dinner was taken care of!
 I had ordered clear snowman bags to fill with popcorn. The bags didn't arrive in time, so I put Christmas stickers on ziplock bags to put the popcorn in. As I filled my basket with my wacky treat, I realized I was filling the role of that person at the ward party. We jetted out after dinner to the show, along with a few others, we noticed.

Oh my goodness, boy, did we laugh! The high school auditorium was packed, and the crowd was great. 

CROSS COUNTRY
In the meantime, Callie was having a great time with the Cross Country team in LA at the beach!

GREAT TO BE EIGHT
Our primary kiddos are getting baptized this year!

PINING
I decided that I wanted to put a real tree in the living room this year. However, after driving around town, we found none to our satisfaction. I had seen online that Ballerina Farm had opened a Christmas Tree farm,
so up to Kamas I drove! We were helped by the one and only, DANIEL!

That evening had also been our town's tree lighting on Main. We missed it, but got to see it every time we drove down Main. 
Festive during the holidays; a great town. 

It was also high time I figured out the lighting on the downstairs tree. A month in and I wasn't having it. I had to undecorate the middle and restring it with incandescent. Worth it; SUCH an improvement.

Christmas Cards!

I always find joy in designing ours each year.

I love reading the names of the people on my list. I'm making a list...and checking it twice... 
Yep, I love all of them.

I texted Cash that theirs was the clear winner this year. The CATS.


Keeping an EYE Out
I had an eye appointment in Orem on December 8th, and I took the next few hours to peruse some shops near there: Four Chairs, The Food Nanny, and Sunriver Gardens. It was just enough to get my gears going for my upstairs Christmas decor. I told Callie that the greenhouse at Sunriver Gardens was so beautiful it stopped me in my tracks and was enough to bring one to tears. She asked if I had a picture. I did not. I guess it was too beautiful. 

HOME BODY for the HOLIDAYS
YES, I am aware that I have a lot going on (I was channeling my inner Molly Weasley).




  









The table runner (Four Chairs) and napkins (Sunriver Gardens) made my Christmas dish set sing.




Stake and Ham
Representing the Stake Primary, I spoke in another ward on Dec 14th, the same weekend, and the same WARD that I spoke in last December.
Maybe I'll include my talk at the end. Yipee;)

(The president announced at our presidency meeting that she is buying a house outside of the Stake. I suddenly felt like a sitting duck. Oh no, being Stake Primary President doesn't fit my life right now:/
I mean, really. I will do what is asked of me because I know the blessings it brings into my life and I have been given too much to not give back, but... I petitioned my family to add to their prayers that the opportunity be given to someone who would feel excitement and could benefit from the calling.
Our prayers were answered:)

Matt took over Sunday dinner that evening. The house was festive'd up for his Christmas ham and potatoes on Dec 14th. Both were amazing.

The evening included decorating tagboard gingerbread houses with sable brown paint and white puff paint. If you do this, you must use sable brown; the exact color of gingerbread. I couldn't get my hands on it last year, so I waited. Sable brown. Very important.

I suggest Peppermint Queen of Chocolate Cupcakes to have on the side. Very important.
 
Callie took her time and it showed. Binnie paid close attention to detail...and then I went and dropped it! Gah. I "fixed" it with a lot more paint. 

It was a delightful Sabbath.


MORE is MORE
 I decided that ALL the Christmas decorations from years past needed an opportunity to be on display. I cleared the living room shelf of my tchotchkes and filled it with the ghost of Christmases past.

This shelf brought Matt and me so much joy! We would sit, sometimes in just the twinkle of the Christmas lights, and reminisce about memories tied to items on the shelf. 
Many items look old and outdated, just as they should after 31 years. 

Ahhh memories. I was behind in getting my blog books printed. It felt amazing to get 2022, 2023, 2024, and 2024 vacation books printed.
I painted a third gingerbread house it to complete the collection. I set them on the last surface.


Only Matt and I knew the significance of these little houses. 
They represent Christmases past, present, and future.

White Christmas
December 19, 2025
 
I love the resurrected Christ behind the baby Jesus. The symbolism is endless.
It is rare to come across a name on my family line that has multiple ordinances available: Initiatory, Endowment, and Sealing. Only the baptisms had been done for Charlotte Pauline Andersen, June 13, 1814, Helsingør, Sankt Olai, Frederidsborg, Denmark. I still began in the baptisrty as a witness for some baptisms. I then performed confirmations. Then I did Charlotte's work the rest of the time. It was dark when I exited the temple. I love, love, love it when I can swing my White Christmas tradition.

Speaking of... I had several Ghees Ghees to make over the holidays. I played some Christmas classics while cut, sewed, and tied, such as White Christmas. The more I watch it the more endeared I get. There was scarcely a line uttered that I wasn't chuckling to myself, "Mutual, I'm sure." I was saying it for dayzzz.

I pulled into The Riverwoods before driving up the canyon to see the lights and take in the festive vibe. I was glad the guy singing was just finishing up, so I could truly appreciate it;)

My Turn for Sundee Din-Din

A temple trip to a Shirley Temple


I was determined to make raspberry jello pretzel salad. The last few times I have attempted to do so, it's been a bust. In desperation, I asked for Lindsey Taylor's recipe since at Thanksgiving it was a bigger hit than any of the desserts!
It was a hit for me too this time!
I loved seeing her well-loved recipe with notes. Clearly a family favorite.

When Katrina asked for my sugar cookie and frosting recipe over the holidays, I realized my recipe has been equally as loved.


She's been eating my sugar cookies for a long time!

Katrina asked for copies of her baby pictures, well, up to age 10. I've gotten up to age five. It's been fun going down memory lane. 
This I know: Babies don't keep.

PILATES

My dear friend, Megumi, has me trying out free exercise classes around the valley. A Monday and Wednesday class is pilates at Midway Town Hall. The class is taught by and consists of senior citizens. How hard could it be? 

I felt like I had been punched from the inside out.
BUT. 
The sunrises at 7:30 a.m. were amazing! Kept me coming back.


Real Life.

DADDY FUN DAY!
December 20, 2025
You may think now that the kids are older, this tradition would have faded. However, it has become so loved, that I think the kids will continue to request it in the years to come. I suggested that even when we are empty nesters, we keep it up;)






The Wondrous and True Story of Christmas. Heber 5th Ward Sacrament Mtg. Talk 12.14.25


1994 was a big year for me. I graduated HS, moved out, got married, moved out of the state…wrote my first check! That Christmas season, President Gordon B. Hinckley, then counselor in the First Presidency, spoke at the Christmas devotional. Though I would have been in attendance, I do not remember the talk. However, it was re-published in the December 2000 Ensign as the First Presidency's Christmas message. I remember because I used it when I spoke that month as a new member of the Heber 5th ward. Though much in my life has changed since 1994. The truths taught have remained with me as we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ during the Christmas season, and His Resurrection at Easter each spring. It seemed a tender mercy to again be assigned to speak on President Hinckley’s words from over 30 years ago, which are just as relevant today. “There would be no Christmas if there had not been Easter. The babe Jesus of Bethlehem would be but another baby without the redeeming Christ of Gethsemane and Calvary, and the triumphant fact of the Resurrection.” (12-4-94)

         In our home, as many Christians do, I’ve tried my best to celebrate the season of Christmas and Easter in our marriage and while raising a family. It is said that a triangle is the strongest shape. For example, in marriage, a triangle would include both spouses and God. I want to speak of another image of a strong triangle: 1. the birth of the Savior, 2. the Resurrection of the Savior, 3. the Second Coming of the Savior. As prophesied in Isaiah, “We testify that he will someday return to earth, ‘And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together’” (Isaiah 40:5). 

 

The birth of Jesus Christ is seen as Christianity’s greatest gift from God

President Eyring spoke about gifts, in what he calls the Eyring Theory of Gift Giving and Receiving: It sprang out of an experience he had not around Christmastime. He had been at the hospital with his brother and father. It was the day his mother died. As friends and family came and went, the day wore on. Dusk fell, and they still had not turned on the lamps. The doorbell rang, it was his Uncle Bill and Aunt Catherine. His uncle was holding a jar of deep red cherries and said, “You might enjoy these, you probably haven’t had dessert.” From this, the theory has three parts: 1. The giver felt what the receiver was feeling and had been touched. 2. The gift was free. Not in the monetary sense, but it was given freely, not to compel a response. 3. There was a sacrifice. The cherries were home-bottled for Aunt Catherine’s own family. A sacrifice was made for a greater return, the happiness of him, his brother, and his father. President Eyring used this theory when asked by a friend if he should give his teenage daughter a car for Christmas. He had found a used car at a good price. It would alleviate a lot of strain on the family for the daughter to have a car, but his friend worried about spoiling his daughter. President Eyring applied this theory in his advice that a car could be a good gift. However, the daughter would need to see past the car to Dad and the family. (1) To see that he had read her heart and cared. (2) That they were not giving it to wheel some performance. (3) And if she could see the joy in the sacrifice made for her. Then the gift would be more than wheels. In fact, it would carry her long after they no longer turned.

 

I experienced something similar last month, when we celebrated my mom’s 80th birthday. My mom began to cry as we passed a book of memories down the table to her before she even knew what we were presenting her; however, she knew it was a gift from her children; that we had felt what she must be feeling and cared, that it was freely given, and that our sacrifice of time brought us joy. It was a gift of love!

How do you and I receive the gift and sacrifice of the Savior? He felt what we would feel, and was touched; the gift was freely given, and the sacrifice brought him joy. President Nelson taught, “Think of that! In order for Him to endure the most excruciating experience ever endured on earth, our Savior focused on joy!” 

 

The Atonement, Crucifixion, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ is the ULTIMATE Gift from God 

As I discussed Christmas traditions with a friend, who has long since lost faith in anything at all, she said, “It probably doesn’t sound very Christmassy, but we always visit my sister’s grave.” She had forgotten this key piece of Christmas! I reminded her that is the most Christmassy thing she can do. It is because of Him that we will all live again. That is what we are celebrating! As I visited your fast and testimony meeting last week, I was touched to hear these truths taught by the brother who reminded us to look beyond the commercialization of Christmas. So, let’s look beyond to…

 

The Second Coming of the Savior Jesus Christ

         We celebrate the birth of the Savior as an event that happened in the past; however, there was a time when His arrival was anxiously awaited. Did you know that in the scriptures, there is a four-for-four? There is. In Jacob chapter FOUR vs FOUR, which begins, “For, For this intent have we written these things, that they may know that we knew of Christ, and we had a hope of his glory many hundred years before he came;” (vs 12) “…for why not speak of the atonement of Christ, and attain to a perfect knowledge of him, as to the knowledge of a resurrection and the world to come?” They had faith and hope in the resurrection before it even happened—just as we look forward with faith. The scriptures are full of examples.

 

In Matthew 25, Christ teaches the Parable of the Ten Virgins. 

1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:

4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.

5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.

6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.

7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.

8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.

9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.

10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

Recently, while I was out Christmas browsing, I saw a beautiful painting depicting one of the wise virgins holding a lit lamp, it was a reminder to me that looking BEYOND is to see past Christmas, and even past Easter, to when He comes again, or whenever it is that each one of us will meet the Savior, at our second coming. Until then, we keep adding oil to our lamps, drop by drop. 

 

What can we give to the Savior at Christmastime?

When I served in Young Women’s, about six years ago, one of my Laurels worked at the Abbington Care Center. She was unable to come to many of our weekday or Sunday meetings because of her job as a CNA. One Sunday in December, she arranged for our Laurel class to come to the Care Center and sing for the residents during our YW class time. Unfortunately, when we arrived, the timing wasn’t great. Many of the residents were unavailable. We had just a handful of spectators to perform for. Because we were also limited on time, we decided to press on. There was an older gentleman resident who indicated he would like to direct us. We agreed to have him do so. As one of our Laurels began to play the piano, he waved his arms excitedly and directed us in our singing as to when to sing louder or softer and end at just the right moment. He was beaming. He must have been a composer in his early life!  As we left, our hearts were full. It didn’t matter that the hall wasn’t packed with residents. As Jesus had previously taught, out of a hundred sheep, one is just as valuable as the remaining 99 (Matt 18:12). Good shepherds go after one sheep. 

 

In his address, President Hinkley referred to another composer from 1741, George Frideric Handel, whose musical work, the “Messiah,” which celebrates Christ’s life, was performed a year later during the Easter season in 1742 as a benefit concert with proceeds going to pay the debts of those in debtors’ prison. As a result, 152 debtors were freed from the proceeds of the benefit concert of Handel’s Messiah. President Nelson explained that “the release of these prisoners from debtor’s prison beautifully symbolizes our own redemption through the Savior Jesus Christ. Our Redeemer, the Lord Jesus Christ, came to pay a debt he didn’t owe, because we owed a debt we couldn’t pay.” A few years ago, my heart was heavy as the holidays approached. Some hard things had happened in our family, and I felt like I was just getting through the holidays. The next year, another unexpected “hard” happened. My heart felt heavy because I love the holidays and felt like feeling this way was going to be my new normal. As I poured my thoughts and heart out in prayer (which was easy since I was on my knees scrubbing the kitchen tile grout), I felt the words, “Give it to me.” Could I do it? Could I hand my burden over to Christ? With clenched fists, I did. It made all the difference. If we don’t feel like we have anything to give this season, we can give our burden to Christ. We can trust him. “He will rule as King of Kings and reign as Lord of Lords, and every knee shall bend, and every tongue shall speak in worship before Him, (Rev 19:16). 

 

As we focus on 1. the birth of the Savior, 2. the Resurrection of the Savior, 3. And with the Second Coming of the Savior, our celebrations will become richer. Of this I testify, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.