One day in August my sisters and I found ourselves wandering through the scorching gardens at Thanksgiving Point on what seemed like the hottest day of the year. It didn’t help that we had 23 kids with us going in ten different directions. At any given point we couldn’t locate half of them. We had originally planned on going through the museum so we weren’t prepared with enough water for our journey and the warm tap water from the few drinking fountains was barely cutting it. I poured my drinking water on Callie’s onsie in an attempt to keep her cool. By the time we got to the tiered fountains we were bordering on heat stroke and let the kids splash and play to cool off as we waded our feet. It was no surprise that an employee on a Segway was soon at our side informing us that these fountains were not to play in.We thanked her for how HELPFUL she had been as we scooped water over the kids before lifting them out. If we were to have answered her honestly though we would have said, “What took you so long?” This was a perfect example of asking for forgiveness instead of permission (that policy generally works best for me in life I’ll confess) but it was so hot!!! So in contrast to our Lagoon day: I can’t remember when it felt so HORRIBLE to be hot and sweaty.
That night we met at Classic Skating for our Orthodontist’s patient appreciation skate night. The flyer in the office stated that it was for patients and their friends and FAMILY. I saw Dr. Nord and said, “I hope you really meant what you said” as I piled in with 24 extended family members. We had a great time. Boy it’s been a while since I’ve been there and it’s the SAME. Oh, and Mallerie won an IPOD. Isn’t that so Mallerie…
On a different August evening some of us girls met at the Craft Fair in SLC and it was very interesting to say the least. The groups of people roaming around were about he freakiest I’ve seen in a long time. Apparently we had arrived way too early and we spent our time trying to reach people on Matt’s cell phone. Now I know why I don’t have one: they don’t work. We were about ready to leave when we spotted the rest of our crowd. It got dark before we could get much shopping in, but just in time for Channel 2 News to start and the perfect opportunity for anyone who was in the mood to make a darn fool of herself. As the girls danced and waved like maniac’s behind the news anchors, cell phones started ringing with husbands on the other end, “STOP it!”
Towards the end of the month we had more extended family fun at the Train Man’s house. That’s what he’s become known as in our family. He works with my dad at the Temple and has a train in his yard along with a swimming pool and waterslide. He invited all of us over one day in Aug to enjoy his stuff for free. He offers it to everyone for the same price.