We decided on Mexican food for the luncheon menu. I had my centerpieces from the Stake Mother’s Day buffet that I had to put to good use. However, with the food prep I had failed to set any of it out and it was nearing time to go. We had put on the invitation that the baptism started 15 minutes earlier than it really did to give family members more time to get up the canyon but this artificial start time had gotten in Matt’s head and he was pushing me along as I set centerpieces out at the last minute. I finally stated that we weren’t running late at all and quite frankly the hurrying wasn’t helping anything. (This turned out to be a blessing because since then I have been able to get out the door on my own schedule without lots of “reminders”). However, as I helped Ava change in the girl’s room I still felt so rushed and rattled inside. I suggested we say a prayer to bring in the spirit and help us enjoy this special day.
For the first time we got a baptism to ourselves. This was wonderful! In putting together the program we tried to include as many grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins as possible. The women folk mainly contributed food wise, but oh how it was appreciated. The program came out like this:
Presiding/Conducting: Bishop Ken Brand
Pianist: Lindsey Taylor-aunt
Prelude/Postlude: Carly Bocanegra-cousin
Opening Song: When I am Baptized…103
Chorister: Raegan Goulding-cousin
Opening Prayer: Ashley Taylor-aunt
Talk on Baptism: Katrina Bocanegra-sister
Thoughts on Baptism: Ava Bocanegra
Musical Number: Baptism…100
Sung by cousins in Primary
Chorister: Romney Goulding
Chorister: Romney Goulding
Baptism performed by Matt Bocanegra-dad
Witnesses: Mark Bocanegra-uncle
Shafer Taylor-uncle
Testimonies of Grandparents:
Ray and Leslie Taylor, Mike and Donna Evanko
Confirmation performed by Matt Bocanegra with Bishop Brand, Ray Taylor, Mike Evanko,
Mark Bocanegra, Shafer Taylor, Cade Taylor, Brent Goulding, & Jon Geertsen.
I felt the spirit enter the room as soon as we started singing the opening song, mainly because I can remember so clearly my little four-year-old Ava singing that song. She even sang it during her talk in Primary once. It is definitely “her” song. I couldn’t contain the emotion. (Video taken September 16, 2005)
After helping Ava into her dress after she was baptized, I put a CTR locket around her neck. She had been hinting around about it because the other girls had gotten one when they were baptized. I already had it tucked away. It was special to have cousin Kei representing our Hawaii bunch and I so enjoyed the spirit brought into the room by the grandparents sharing their testimonies. My mom gave Ava a key to wear around her neck to symbolize that she has opened the gate. And I was so thankful to Katrina for agreeing to give the baptism talk but I let her sit out when the cousins sang (Primary age and under we deemed it). They literally looked like little angels up there. I almost felt funny taking a picture, but the bishop said it was okay.
I always treasure those days to see Matt using his priesthood power in our family. For this reason I so enjoyed the baptism and confirmation. We had all been so spiritually fed that we could have all gone home then, but naw let’s party!
Mexican works great for Harrison who needs to eat GF. Lindsey even made a GF dessert. We all enjoyed it as well as our Cafe Rio style lunch. I tried my hand at Tomatillo dressing, Pico de Gallo, Shredded Pork, and Lime Rice. We are the BOCANEGRA'S!
When Jamie was leaving she said something along the lines of 'good luck with your house' (referring to the 28 kids and 20 adults playing and eating) but I could honestly relpy,
"Days like this are what earthlife is all about."






