I'm going to Disneyland! 10/11/10-10/13/10

How the kiddos have grown since our last Disneyland visit. In 2000 we just had Katrina and Mallerie. In 2005 Ava and Grayson joined us. And in 2010 Graham and Callie completed our group. Everyone was happy to be there. That Mickey sure has a way with People.
The first morning we were as anxious as pie to get up and going to the park. Our hotel, which was within walking distance to the happiest place on earth offered breakfast, a huge criteria in our choosing. This hotel also included 3-day park hopper tickets. However, when we put all the kids into the system there wasn't a room big enough. We adjusted our numbers for a Best Western that slept six. Close enough. Callie was free at the park but this left Graham without a ticket. Melanie has a Disneyland guy she uses to get discount tickets from so we reserved one for the little fella through him (lafuntickets.org). They were to bring the ticket to the hotel the morning of. Well, we had had our oatmeal and were nearly done rubbing in our sunscreen when we were still waiting for that ticket. No sooner had Matt texted the guy when a car pulls up with the windows down and the strangest loud music us Utahn's had EVER heard. It made hard rock sound like a lullaby. It literally was just someone SCREAMING in a raspy vioce to a Satanic beat. The car peeled in, reversed, and then parked. A guy got out and in a soft spoken voice asked, "Are you Matt?" After the transaction went down and the guy left in the same loud fashion he had arrived we couldn't contain the laughter. He again passed us as we walked to Disneyland, "There's our friend!"
As Matt was entering the gate the lady employee said about Graham, "Look at those dreamy eyes." I told Matt that it breaks my heart that next time we come Graham will be more grown up. Seeing him perched on a lap watching the 3D shows with his big glasses was priceless. And he could NOT get enough of that train.
Matt jokes that I was the most excited one in the family about going to Disneyland. I have a hard time arguing that. As the event approached I feared something would come up or somehow it just wouldn't work out. Subsequently, when we walked through the gates the first morning I was actually verklempt. I wore Eliza's neon shirt so the fam could find me easily. It's a great amusement park shirt. The second day I wore something else but the neon shirt was missed badly enough by all that I wore it again the third day.
We braved the front row at the World of Color show. Just as the guy we got Graham's ticket from made hard rock sound like a lullaby, World of Color made the Billagio fountains in Vegas look like a sprinkler (I  borrowed that last part from a FB friend). We did end up wet but not from being directly sprayed, it was the mist. The mist baby.
We didn't go on the teacups or dumbo or the carousel. I was surprised the kids weren't expecting to go on the classics like I was. I guess there was just plenty else to do. The first night Disneyland was open till Midnight. But after a 10 pm dinner at McDonalds it was clear that the majority of the group was too exhausted to go on. Matt took the four poopers back to the hotel then me, Katrina, and Mallerie stayed till almost closing time. While they used the Indianna Jones Fast Passes I opted to watch Fantasmic. I was standing in a "no standing" zone apparently and was approached by an employee. I kept asking him questions about the show and what not and therefore got a good five more minutes viewing time in. The next morning we had magic morning passes to enter the park an hour early. Yeah Right!

Other highlights:
• Eating lunch at the Blue Bayou restaurant inside the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.
• The fireworks show. A hush fell over the crowd as Julie Andrews voice narrated the synchronized fireworks set to music.
• Captain Eo being BACK!
• We were thrilled with the "It's Tough to be a Bug" show.
• The 60+ minute line we stood in for Toy Story Mania because the ride was worth every minute. Matt wanted to go again but that line was never shorter.
• Lunch at Rain Forrest Cafe in Downtown Disney. Then Katrina, Mallerie, and I literally had to sprint back to California Screamin to use our Fast Passes. At the gate we realized Matt still had our tickets. We did have our hands stamped though. This was enough for the employee to open the gate and say, "May all your dreams come true."
• Tower of Terror!!!
• Hearing as we docked after the Jungle Cruise, "Thank you for riding with us today, you all now have Malaria."
• The Pixar Parade with a REAL Lightening McQueen.
• That Graham driving his OWN car at Autotopia.
• After I took the kids on Soarin over California, I waited with a sleeping Callie while Matt took the kids a second time. I enjoyed a cookies and cream ice cream cone in a chocolate dipped waffle cone with nuts. They came back just as I had tossed my crumpled napkin in the trash. In answer to "Did we take too long?" I could answer honestly, "Not at all."
  • Hearing Callie imitate the slug monster's voice after the Monster's Inc ride.
  • Watching little Callie exit the park insisting she walk with the throngs of people. She looked so tiny.
  • Eating dinner at IHOP and hearing a clapping chant from another table. Matt led the kids in imitating it with our own clapping. Soon after another table joined in imitating us.
Like I said, that Mickey really has a way with people.
***
We split the return trip home into two days by stopping in Vegas. Matt and I were even able to steal away for some Cheesecake lovin, compliments of ChyAyn, and a movie that night. The next day we arrived home. Back to life and back to reality.