Birthday Bash Meets Party Smash June 3, 2011

The Tuesday after Lagoon, Donna arrived into town. She was going to come Thursday but on Saturday when we learned we'd be seeing the Wasson's the very next day I emailed, and Matt called Donna with the same message, "Get over here!" Taking two days, she drove herself all the way from southern California. That Tuesday evening the Wasson's came back over to see Grandma and I made bruschetta for dinner. This was new to most everyone since it's not Hawaiian, it's Italian! That became the word of the night, "BRUCHETTA." A few nights later when we were all at the Olive Garden celebrating Ademir's birthday we saw it on the menu, "BRUCHETTA."

It tickled me to be able to have family sit around the bar while I cooked for them. I was in HEAVEN. Matt came home from work a little under the weather (of all times to catch something). He couldn't eat anything. It turned alright though because BRUCHETTA isn't his thing. Maybe it's not my thing either because the next day when I woke up I had...should I say...a touch of the woozy myself.

On Friday, everyone met in Orem at Geneva Park for all kinds of family fun. Since it is few and far between when the Wasson's visit Utah, I contacted some of my family members and said, “If you've ever wanted to meet Matt's sister, here is your chance." Lindsey and Jon were available and brought their family to the park, I enjoyed mixing my worlds.

With all the entertaining I had done recently and with Gayson's (and Mason's!) baptisms/luncheons the very next day Donna was SO thoughtful and took care of the ENTIRE luncheon on Friday at the park for ALL of us, CAKE and all. So thoughtful.
The cake was because this was Mallerie's official birthday, BIG THIRTEEN. June 3, 2011


A group of this size with the ages they are can NOT get together at a park and NOT have some kind of water fight/random squirting of people. Really, it's not possible. That's what is going on here.



There was this kid at the park, about five years old, who didn't seem to belong to anybody. He was at the playground then he inched closer and closer (see him in the blue below) till he was part of our party. He played soccer with us and was in the pavilion when we cut the cake. He asked, "Where are the forks?" Later Laurie said, "I started to panic cause I couldn't see little guy." Oh wait, why isn't someone else panicking?
I wasn't tickled with Callie's choice of outfit. When I tried to convince her to wear a solid shirt she held this one up, "But it's FOWERS mom?" She was right. She looked STUNNING.

I don't know if I got a picture of Anela at Lagoon and this is a cute one.

I was so glad that even though Mallerie is now a teenager she still likes to climb trees. I thought to myself about the trees, "These are perfect climbing trees."
I was right.

Grayson looks so much like Matt did as a boy in this picture I can't believe it!


I thought this picture was funny. Graham is imitating the girls behind him without even realizing it. There was another birthday party going on under the pavilion as well; a party on a MUCH smaller scale.

The soccer game was quite invigorating. I did my best but spent more time horizontal than vertical. But nothing, I repeat, NOTHING beat Laurie's bootie block.


We are still in love with the sling shot the Wasson's gave us when they were here for their last visit. With two on hand, it was WAR.


Present time! With the busy May and even busier beginning of June I had I wasn't quite ready for Mallerie's birthday. Grandma Donna saved the day! The day before, she stayed with the kids and I spent hours up at TJ Max in Park City. I enjoyed taking my time and looking at every single thing in the store...TWICE. In the end I had treasures such as picture frames, jewelry holders, and scented squishies picked out for Mallerie. Yes, you heard right, scented squishies.

At one point a mysteriously wrapped gift appeared on the table. No one claimed who it was from. Mallerie opened it hesitantly....chicken bones. "Ewe!!!" She threw it. I could guess by the laughter from the male cousins and uncles who gave it to her. It was hilarious and she was a good sport. I mean that. Mallerie is such a happy go lucky person. You can't help but to smile and giggle when you are around her.

Sometimes you just need a really great BAG.

I was afraid that since Matt had to work late he would miss out on all the fun.

But I ask YOU, does it look like he missed out on the fun???
  

Everyone is in love with these love birds.


All in the Family
We got together just the night before at the Olive Garden for Ademir's birthday. It turned out to be a party of 30 with Ademir's family. After we were all seated Kei looked around and saw that it didn't make sense to have the kids spread out like they were when some adults were not by other adults at all. She fixed this by moving people (and tables!) around until it all made sense. I was really impressed by this. Way to be a good host!

At one point when the waiter came through, Donna asked him to take a picture of the group. We all looked and smiled. Not surprisingly, Matt hadn't heard any of this and was talking to Callie. Donna said, "Matt, smile!" He gave her a big grin without turning towards the camera. This struck a funny bone in her. So much that I wondered if we were going to have to do CPR she was laughing so hard! Least wise, we didn't want her choking on her eggplant parmesan. She's a fun mother-in-law. We were fortunate to get to have her stay with us for the week.
One evening she had gone down to Orem to go to Jump On It with the cousins. Then they went back to Kei's and played games and then they planned to watch a movie. Donna called to say she was just going to sleep down there. She came back the next day around 11 am. I joked as she walked in the door, "Some house guest you are! Out carousing all night long; not coming in till the next day..." Ha-ha.

It may seem like we did a lot that week but it wasn't nearly as much as the Wasson's packed in: 7-peaks, Timpanogos Caves, and they hiked the Y to name a few.
Aloha!!!