Bear Lake Oct 20th-23rd 2011


Using our connections, we reserved Sean’s cabin in Bear Lake over UEA weekend. Since it was also fall break for my sibling’s kids we extended the invitation and they all accepted. I used this as leverage when telling Sadie in Elko about it. Her kids were not on fall break yet but I knew she wouldn’t be able to resist.

At the beginning of October we had all gotten together for a triple baptism. That’s right; Kate, Landrie, and Adren were all baptized in Provo at the Geertsen’s church on October 8th. 2003 was the year of babies (oh, and every year after that as well!) If you remember Grayson and Mason also shared a baptism day in June. I think that would have been so special to share with a cousin.
Anyway, we met afterwards for lunch at the Geertsen’s and got the details and assignments pounded out for the Bear Lake trip. Sadie suggested everyone just be in charge of one meal and to have left overs on Sunday. This worked out great. I only had to focus on Friday night dinner/dessert. I later made a rough itinerary of activities people had suggested. They all paled in comparison to Cade’s request for a Polar Plunge into the Lake…in OCTOBER.
Thursday:
Our family was the first to arrive on Thursday October 20th. We had gone up through Evanston WY where we stopped for lunch. Matt put Wendy’s into the GPS and it took us to a rural neighborhood. In front of one house it said, “Arriving at destination.” I don’t know if the gal inside that house was named Wendy or what but we were NOT hitting her up for a dollar chicken sandwich. Turns out Wendy’s was right off the freeway and our detour was for naught. However, I did think the side streets were somewhat charming to look at.
The last time we were at the cabin was three years ago in July (I was pregnant with Callie Marie). The fall leaves against the blue lake this time around were simply breathtaking and I commented on every single one. The lake was so FULL. The beaches we have been at before were completely under water. This created a unique illusion of the trees growing right out of the water.

Up at the cabin you can see a panoramic view of the lake, from one end to the other. The cabin is appropriately on Panorama Drive. I stood at the edge of the lawn for a while breathing in the air.



Not long after us the (Shafer) Taylor’s arrived.  After unloading our cars it was time for dinner. Matt had the genius suggestion we go into town and hit Bear Lake Pizza. Lindsey threw some gluten free pizzas in the oven before we left and brought them on a cookie sheet. The first thing I noticed when we walked into the restaurant was that they offered Gluten Free. I wish we would have checked! Bear Lake Pizza is a must if you are staying in Bear Lake. It aint fancy but has the coziest pizza parlor feel. Adjoining is a gift shop with every kind of raspberry nibble you can imagine. Katrina brought her wallet and went in to get chocolate dipped raspberry marshmallows on a stick. Graham turned to me with the most pathetic face longing for some as well. This was evil of me but I said, “Go show Katrina that face.” While she was deciding if she was falling for it or not the old lady at the counter asked Graham which treat he wanted in the case. He pointed and she got it out. Katrina succumbed, “I’ll have the same.” Then the lady took out another and rang her up for THREE. No wonder they have been in business so long. Katrina was a dear and divided them between the other siblings. I had my eye on the chocolate dipped raspberries but they are much too good for children. When we were loading back into the car Matt snuck back in to get me some but that old lady was nowhere in sight. Lucky for me I had some raspberry hot chocolate at the cabin. I fixed me up some and sat under the big buffalo head in the living room and enjoyed every drop. I didn’t have my chocolate stir in spoons made yet, but it was divine all the same. I mock GTU but it is where I get a lot of my ideas. I started on those spoons next and had a gathering around me in no time (tell me Cade that you got a photo of those spoons!) I was working on them when the other (Cade) Taylor’s arrived. Lindsey and Ashley helped me get the delicacies into the freezer for the next night. Last to arrive on Thursday were the Geertsen’s.  Lindsey found me in holding new baby Ivy in Cade and Ashley’s room where we were ALL sitting on the bed. I had misjudged where the bed frame ended and rammed my leg into it. The bruise that formed the next day weren’t pretty.
That night Jon put on War of the Worlds downstairs, a nice kid friendly movie. NOT. I don’t know if Grayson was genuinely tired or if he realized it was too much for him, but he sauntered off to the bunk room. Graham and Callie however had their faces glued to the TV like they were watching Clifford the Big Red Dog. I watched as long as I could before curling up next to the Bocie for the night. We tried to convince Graham to sleep downstairs with Grayson and Callie but he had his heart set on the spot in front of the fireplace upstairs. His mind was set.
Friday:
Up and at it; the kids were. They were excited to eat breakfast with cousins. Lindsey and Ashley had brought every option from hot to cold. The first item on the agenda after breakfast was a nature walk. Shafer led us in a prayer. The morning was GLORIOUS. 


Without even meaning to, us Momma’s had color coordinated. We posed for a picture. However, the sun was SO bright I think my eyes were closed for all of them.


 First we just took the small trail that goes around the cabin. I told the kids to look for two items that were the same. They could be rocks, sticks, leaves, anything that was the SAME. At the end of the trail Gray showed me two blades of grass. One was straight, one was bent, one was yellowing on the end, and the other wasn’t. They weren’t EXACTLY the same. I told the kids that NO two things in nature are exactly the same. We are like that. We might look similar to our family members but it’s our differences that make it fun. The world would be boring if nature was all the same and therefore boring if people were all the same. I have no idea if they got this concept. From there we went out onto the road and down a ways before heading back to the cabin for lunch. Lindsey had such things as lunch meats or PB&J, and as much of it as you wanted.
Not only had we color coordinated with each other but nature as well.










My older girls could't stop commenting on these cute girls.

Next to arrive were the Whitmore’s and my parents in Eliza’s van. They all got out of the car a bit frazzled from the sad pants ride they had endured. We had to get them back on track! Matt and the other guys were taking turns giving rides on the Polaris Ranger. The rest of us were out back playing frisbee or whiffle ball. It seemed a sin to be inside on a day as pretty as it was.
My kids felt right at home on the swing set. It's the same one we have from KINGS.





That ranger is quite a thrill. I remember from our last trip to Bear Lake that you are missing out if you don’t see the back country as well. The Aspen leaves were GOLDEN. Because of the Ranger rides we didn’t need all of the activities we had thought of. The kids could not get enough and there was always a line of kids waiting to ride next. From young to old, EVERYONE enjoyed the ranger. Jon especially; Mallerie talked him into speeding through a mud puddle that left the girls looking like chocolate bars. (Update on my “wool coat” people. The label reads MACHINE WASH. I did and it’s fine; looks like my “wool/silk” coat is a scam!)






Ash showed us how to do the Sock Bun.



Matt got the hot tub up and running but that afternoon while he and Graham were sitting in it, it died. The heat stopped, the jets stopped, even the lights turned off. It was just a cesspool of water after that. I passed on getting in.
My mom was on snack duty each day to tide the kids (and adults) over till lunch. Therefore I was never hungry at the cabin, even with our “Kitchen Closed” sign up.
Late that afternoon the last of our party arrived, the Goulding’s from Elko. They had the furthest to come and were there the shortest amount of time, but I am so glad they came. I had insisted we give the top loft to the older girls (and some young as well). Sophie especially needed a place to flop. She had just undergone emergency appendectomy the week before and she was as frail as could be. We brought her some aloe socks to lounge in. However, with all the excitement I didn’t see her lounging at all. Since our family had been the first to arrive I saw firsthand the cabin slowly get more and more occupied. By Friday night you would think it was overflowing but instead I would describe it as comfy. We wouldn’t have had it any other way. I opened my 25 cans of beans and added it to hamburger in a big pot and served an easy Taco Soup for dinner that night. With both Matt and Brent in the Frito Lay business, there was NOT a shortage of chips.
Friday night was the much anticipated skit and talent night. Sadie had us line up from oldest to youngest. I thought, “Impossible!” But it wasn’t everyone did it. Matt looked down the line at me, “You are way down there?” It was in this setting he was reminded; he’s a bit older than me! Then everyone counted off 1-4. In our four groups we drew a slip of paper for the genre our skit was to be. My group had ACTION.  ALL the groups were doing the story of Goldilocks’ and the Three Bears. Ours had a ninja security system where Grayson and Harrison came out and attacked Goldie (Mallerie). One time she went down with her head missing the coffee table by inches. The party could have turned on a dime but thankfully it didn’t.  Mallerie moved through the skit using my mom as the first the table, then the chair, and last the bed. When it was time for the three bears to come back, Ashley held Violet, Sadie held Scarlett, and I held Callie. They were our machine guns when we came back to find an “IMPOSTER!” We laughed away as we watched the other skits, particularly Matt talking as Mamma Bear in a high voice and Jon prancing around as Goldilocks.
Ava, Alivia, Landrie, and Kate wrote and acted out a skit. It was pretty funny and clever I thought; about nerd girls being persuaded by popular girls. The older girls were great at getting up and performing for the talent portion. They danced and sang. I was glad our teenage girls weren’t sitting there timid and not participating.  Mallerie did “Herbert” with all the animation required. I loved watching the Scrumpies and the others sing along to Diamond Castle! Lindsey had a delightful Halloween story to name a few. My parents did their legendary Sonny and Cher, “I Got You Babe.” You can’t help but sing along. By the end the room was quite warm as you can imagine. However, I stuck to my guns and got out the fixins for the cocoa bar. I had Peanut Butter Cup, Raspberry Cheesecake, Candy Cane, regular Milk Chocolate, and Lindsey brought Pumpkin Spice. There was cream, cinnamon, and marshmallows for the top. And don’t forget my chocolate dipped spoons for stirring! For something crunchy on the side, I made a coconut Chex mix.  If anyone didn’t have their sweet tooth cured that night it was their own fault.
Saturday:
During breakfast we were trying to decide when the best time for the Polar Plunge would be, before lunch? After lunch? I guess the people who heard “After Lunch” darted off and got ready for the day. The end consensus though was “RIGHT NOW.” I went downstairs to change. Matt seemed surprised, “You’re  doing it?” I nodded. “Well I’m not,” he stated as a matter of fact. I assured him sweetly, “No one expects you to. You are a Dockers wearing career man who doesn’t have a spontaneous bone in his body. No one expects you to.” It worked. He changed into his swim trunks. Then Jon plopped on the couch, “I’m not going, I just got ready.” I began, “Oh, no one expects you to. You are a Dockers wearing Dad…” This was too much I guess, “I never wear Dockers!” He changed as well. Lindsey G had just finished blow drying her hair and was torn with what to do. Then I looked over as we were getting in the cars to go to see her come out in her swim skirt, black coat, and knee high black boots. Matt said, “It looks like she’s worken Vegas.”
I would have turned right but Matt led the caravan left to find water. He was certain we wouldn’t find anywhere to go into the water the other way. We ended up at the Marina. Matt suggested jumping off the docks (I swear he did NOT get what we were doing.) My Dad pointed out that water was full of gas and oil from the boats. True. We were just checking it out, but when the vans stopped the people piled out. My dad had his shirt off and was ready to dive in on the other side that quickly. One look at the shallow jagged rocks below him and we were all yelling, “Daddy, don’t jump!” He obliged and waded out for a swim instead. We piled back in the cars and drove around the bend to find fresh water and a beach. Matt couldn’t believe that everyone was game; like it was the most natural thing in the world to go swimming in Bear Lake at the end of October. He said, “Even your mom is doing it!” Cade had envisioned all of us doing it one at a time but the crowd wanted to all go at the same time. Ashley and I laughed at my quiet plea, “My husband has a suggestion that we go in five at a time.” In the end it was all at once. We yelled, “I am a Polar Bear!” and dunked under. We had to do it THREE times to officially be in the Polar Bear Club. That water around my ears was COLD. I was certain I would need to wrap in my towel right away and had it ready on the beach, but after being in the 58 degree water the air outside felt warm and I dried off in the sun. It was quite refreshing to be honest. Matt said by the third time he was getting cold and didn’t think he put his head under all the way, in my same quiet plea I pardoned, “But my husband has a big head…” I guess the video will reveal in the end who is officially in the CLUB. Cade joked as we were getting out of the water, “The camera wasn’t on so we’ll have to do it again.” Long stares and a few moans, “Just kidding.” Katrina, Mallerie, and even Ava all did it (a couple of them TWICE). During the plunge I tried to get Callie to at least watch. She was way up on the sand with her back towards me drawing in the sand with Scarlett. Graham had adorned swimwear but barely but a toe in the water. Grayson was fully clothed with no intention of getting the least bit wet even though Adren was doing it. He is not easily tempted into doing something he doesn’t want to. No amount of Dockers wearing jabs will ever work on him.
You can bet I literally ran to get a shower in before the rest of the group arrived back at the cabin. Eliza put on another sandwich smorgasbord for lunch with some turkey that was legit. That afternoon was very relaxing. I sat in front of the window a spell and took it all in. The guys watched the BYU game downstairs while the girls chatted upstairs and the tweens gave pedi’s to the aunties. The little kids were SO busy outside or inside coloring or drawing on whiteboards. It was great. We had feared they’d be in front of the Disney channel the entire time but this was not the case. I feel like I hardly saw my kids at all. Except when I was sitting in the recliner and I felt Callie’s soft hands wrap around my neck and her kisses on my cheek.  I asked Lindsey when we should start the masquerade mask craft for the kids. She was sitting there so relaxed, “Yeah, cause I feel like dragging out a bunch of feathers and glue right now.” She had a point! But the next thing I knew the kids were very involved making their masks as were some adults.

I had my own task ahead of me of turning the living room into a party room for the BALL. It only took blowing up one balloon to have a line of eager beavers in front of me all wanting one.


The masques turned out clever and cute and different. Some were just DIFFERENT ;)


He even kept his glasses on!

Picture running into this in the middle of a dark forest.

 Little C kept hers on that day and the next.

Sadie’s enchilada dinner was next and was Divine. I piled my plate and then piled it again.


The Masquerade Ball! Ashley was in charge of the play list and she kept em coming. One hit after another. Since some of the songs are on the Wii’s Just Dance the girls knew how to do it! We stood in a line and took turns jigging down the center, Shafer showed off his MJ moves, and Adren the robot. The cool air on the deck was welcomed relief at times, and the view of the stars was incredible. Matt started the propane fire pit out on the lawn for S’mores. I watched from the deck as the kids poured out towards it. It looked like cockroaches fleeing a spray.


 The movie that night was Joe vs. the Volcano. We concurred that the bulk of the humor is at the beginning of that movie. Like when Joe goes to work and the horrible fluorescent lighting is sucking out his eyeballs while his boss argues in the background. This reminded me of being in Elko this past summer helping Sadie unpack. None of her lamps were hooked up yet so the overhead light was blaring. I said, “This lighting is terrible.” Sadie was quick, “I’m not arguing that with you.” During the movie Matt and I were BOTH sitting in the recliner and when he went to get up, we were stuck. Stuck good.
In the middle of the night I was jerked awake to the sound of the smoke alarm, “beep, beep, beep, beep, beep...” Matt and I didn’t see any trouble but we heard a lot of footsteps above. Wouldn’t they be shouting if there was a fire?” Then Vrrrooooom, it sounded like a vacuum but I knew it was the air mattress pump above us (Sadie told Brent since everyone was surely awake he may as well re-blow up the mattress).  Shafer came down using his cell phone as a flashlight. He was checking the place out. Eliza and Kate came out of their room and we wondered of it was a carbon monoxide alarm (I did have a dull headache since arriving, wink wink). He went back upstairs and then we heard lots of talking for a while. Matt told me to go investigate. Most the siblings were in the dining room talking and laughing away like it was high noon. No one knew why the alarm had gone off. But I guess my dad had gotten locked out and was pounding on the door in the middle of the night right around the time the alarm went off. Brent didn’t dare answer it but Cade came and threw the door open. It added to the startling drama.
Sunday:
I loved where I slept because it was right in front of the bay window downstairs. Each morning I woke up to that view! I could hear conference excerpts being played upstairs on Sunday morning. There was plenty of food for leftovers as we had predicted. Brent had a plate of Enchiladas for breakfast cause, why not. We went back and forth if we should bombard the local ward house with 41 people and decided against it. Eliza and I agreed, “That’s just borderline rude!” Besides, since we were leaving that day there were some things that needed to get done. By the looks of the cabin it seemed days away from getting back to how it looked when we arrived. But by the time everyone got their stuff back in their cars it already looked tidy. I thought I was doing a decent job of keeping our stuff together till I walked around filling my arms with all our STUFF. Everyone was great to help tidy up the place and just like they came, they also left one by one. It seemed lonely without the all the family. Matt went through the departure checklist before we rolled away from the cabin as well. I loved hearing the kids’ favorite things about our stay. In the end we all agreed, it was the being together that was the best.
The best Jerry, the best.