Viva! Henderson NV April 9th-13th 2012

It's A Bird It's A Plane
After seeing what Vegas has further deteriorated to in January, I told Matt we had no business going anywhere near there for spring break. We decided on San Diego, but since hotels are more expensive Matt didn't have enough Marriott points for a Residence Inn. But he did have enough for Henderson NV. Since we were just going to relax, eat, swim, and shop it made more sense to go there. Besides, no one complained about half the time it would take in the car.

It was approaching evening when we arrived and there was the most beautiful sky overhead. There was also a huge bowing jet flying over head. It was close enough that you could read the writing on the plane.  Though it was a pretty area with palm trees galore I saw that we were in the landing path for the airport. Hmm.

The whole time we were driving to Henderson Graham asked when we would swim. I looked over as I wheeled my suit case into the room to see him completely stripped down rummaging through his suit case for his swim trunks. Without saying a word Callie was naked as well before I could even open my mouth to tell them we needed to eat dinner first. She does whatever he does.

Graham got his swimming promise fulfilled the next morning after breakfast. I couldn't believe how often a plane flew overhead. The loud intense roaring brought your eyes to they sky each time one passed. Now, I know I am ridiculously sensitive to repetitive loud noises, but Matt and I both agreed that since the hotel is in a flight path it should be mentioned on the website. Matt asked, "How often do you think they are flying overhead?" I guessed five minutes. He said, "No way, it's more like 10." Since he had his waterproof watch on he timed the next one and the one after that. They were 2 1/2 min apart. It was true though that over the course of the next four days we got noticing them less and less.We played basketball outside and TENNIS. We stink big time at tennis but it wasn't the planes fault.


I Scream You Scream We All Scream For Ice Cream
Pink Bubblegum

When evening rolled around we decided to go for a walk. On our way out of the parking lot I spotted an abandoned Smith's shopping cart. Since we would be walking past Smith's eventually I suggested we put some kids inside and bring it back. So Matt put Callie and Graham in the cart and anyone else that didn't want to walk and we pushed it the few blocks and returned it at Smith's. There weren't really any stores to look at but I saw a Baskin Robbins so I suggested we go there, my treat. Lucky for me there was a sign on the door stating all cones were .99 that day. Let me be clear that I offered to pay BEFORE I saw the .99 sign. Soft serve cones were also .99. I cannot figure out in my right mind why someone would EVER choose soft serve over hard ice cream. Isn't that why you'd be at Baskin Robbins in the first place?

On our way out I saw another abandoned Smith's cart near the intersection. I joked, "Someone better go get it." Katrina did and we dropped that one off as we passed Smith's again. We ate our yummy ice cream cones as we walked. The kids thought it odd that I chose bubblegum. I was trying to decide between that or Pralines and Cream. Matt would have chided be about the latter. See, that is why I relate to both young and old people. Bubble gum for the young, pralines for the old. Either way everyone seemed to be happy with their flavor. One of the kids called out,"Thanks Dad." This started a chain reaction as they all chimed in, "Thanks Dad, Thanks Dad, Thanks Dad." Matt interrupted, "Mom bought the ice cream." They changed their chant, "Thanks Mom, Thanks Mom, Thanks Mom." Callie waited till it was quiet, "Thanks Dad."

Go Fly A Kite

The next day Graham brought up the next item on his agenda; to fly a kite. I didn't have a kite but I knew where I could get one. A short trip to Smith's and we were back in no time with two new kites. The wind really started to pick up and this is what I learned; sometimes it is too windy to fly a kite. I brought my own kite string from home and attached it to the new kite. I started to let out the string and it started going so fast because of the wind that it was getting out of my control. I tried to stop the wheel and it nearly ripped off my finger. My other hand was on the string and I got a huge rope burn. I got it under control and handed it to Graham. But before long it was out of control again and he was crying about his hand. Ava came up to me, "I burned my hand on the string." We finally got the kites under control but then one took a huge nose dive onto the roof and the dowel snapped in half. I said, "Look, we tried but, it's too windy to fly a kite." Have you ever heard of such a thing? I hadn't.

That day was definitely the windiest but the weather continued to cool down from there and be breezy. Pour Graham nearly lost his hat. Matt describes that it took off in the parking lot like a loose wheel rolling away from us. It took some fast foot work to catch it. I could picture Graham's face perfectly. I've seen that face when his hat is blowing away. It's the face of one who might be watching their house go up in flames with their life savings inside. Horror.

Keep Calm and Eat a Cupcake




We did a whole lot of nothing that day. After lunch some people napped, others watched TV. In our room Matt and I watched Cup Cake Wars for the first time. After the first episode I said, "I wonder if The Sweet Tooth Fairy has ever been on?" The next episode started up and GUESS WHO WAS COMPETING? Weird Huh? We watched earnestly as The Sweet Tooth Fairy passed Round 1, then Round 2, and the nail biter Round 3......she won! She made the most delightful looking filled creme brule cupcakes that looked soooo delish. Unfortunately we could not find an open bakery.

Trying This Hard to Look Busy Is Exhausting


My magnet I picked up on the trip
Oh how I loved sitting by the pool long after everyone else had gone in to shower up and have lunch. I reclined my chair covered my body with my sarong, my face with my hat, closed my eyes and listened to the stillness of...those planes!

I also finished the second book of "A Series of Unfortunate Events." Gray read the series and has begged me to do the same. Finding time is the hard part, but on the trip I had plenty of it. I brought the 3rd book just incase I finished the 2nd. On the long drive home I thought I would try and read a little bit of the 3rd. Usually I get motion sickness if I so much as look at a map. But for some reason reading in the car didn't bother me and I finished the whole book before we got home. Great company I was.

Howdy Hoover!


Even though we went to Hoover Dam last spring break, it was the closest attraction so back we went. This time we went to the visitors center. I thought it was interesting and so did most of the kids. We also got to go up the tower and look out over the side. A different vantage point than last year.  On the way down the you can either take the stairs or the elevator. Matt and half of the kids waited for the elevator. I said "I'm takin the stairs!" Grayson, Mallerie, and Ava all started to run down with me. After we had wound down a floor or so I saw the elevator open. I said, "You guys! Get in!" We rode to the top and the door opened to a waiting Matt, Katrina, and the babies. We were a'laughin! Cause "not only are you lazy for taking the elevator, but we have already gone down and up!" Hahahahahaha.

As we drove up to the dam that day I said, "Those beavers sure did a good job!" So then during the slide presentation Ava said, "I can't believe the beavers mixed the cement." At the end of the day after we learned even more our only question was, "So the beavers didn't build the dam????"

We also hiked up to the bridge. Well half of us again, me, Matt, Ava, and Mallerie. I thought I had vertigo from the top of the dam, but my toes were tingling big time as I peered over the bridge. Between the stair run and that little hike I had muscles hurting that hadn't been the day before. That always feels good in a way.

A Trip Without A Shopping Trip Is Not A Trip


At the far end of the strip, so far that you aren't even near the strip, there is a beautiful outdoor mall. I discovered it with my sisters two years ago on our girls trip when we went to H&M. We were there in January and I think the weather was better that time than this. Though we enjoyed blue skies, the air was crisp. we scuttled from store to store, the restaurant, and into other stores. Katrina dropped a wad of her babysitting cash at H&M while Mallerie chose to spend $16 at the candy store. She bought a GIANT box of Gobstoppers. To each his own. We all left Bath and Body smelling heavenly and I have been loving my finds everyday since then. Dolly Parton's "Working Nine to Five" started up as we entered the store. I thought to myself, "I don't hear this song enough." I love me some Dolly.

A Rockin Trip To Red Rock


After messin around in the arcade for a while and the kids choosing the worlds cheapest toys with their tickets, Matt bought real tickets for the movies.

Dr. Tree-hugger

Matt can be VERY glad he went to the Hunger Games again with Katrina and Mallerie instead of into our theatre with the rest of us. The Lorax is for the birds. Literally, the whole thing is a lecture on planting trees and then not cutting them down. And the popcorn was terrible! All small pieces, burned, and tasteless. Matt said, "You probably had to pay ten bucks." I corrected, "$13."

Our movie was over before Matt and the girls so we waited in the SPACIOUS lobby. Graham tried climing the stone walls. Ava and Grayson got in a game of footsie tarted out fun but ended in tears. Matt walked up in the middle of the chaos and I said, "Things are going great here."

Not a Square to Spare

We had plans to bowl afterwards because Red Rock has a 60 lane alley. However, they were all reserved till 10 pm that night. I bet in hind sight they would have put in 61 lanes.

Instead we ate some lunch, I bought some black and whites from the cafe, and we were on our way.


It's Just A Plain Old Plane

The last day of our trip I was heading to the dining room for breakfast when I needed to run to the van and get my shoes. There was an older couple unloading their suitcases from their car. Just then a plane flew overhead. I looked over to see the husband pointing excitedly. He started filming it with his phone. The wife struggled to get her camera ready to take a picture. I wanted to call out, "Don't worry, there will be plenty more of those!"