Graham I Am! March 2, 2013



What do you do when a birthday is here?
You throw a party for all that are dear!

March is the Month
The 2nd to be exact,

If you come at NOON 
We'll keep you intact.

We will play play play play
But we'll finish by TWO

Right after we sing "Happy Birthday to You"

Which wondrous person warrants such BAM?

Well I'm here to tell you

It's GRAHAM I am!


This was my first boy party ever. Since Graham shares a birthday with Dr. Seuss it was easy for me to come up with a theme. He had five guests come to the house and they were all well mannered and seemed to have a fun time so it went well!  
I bought one of those helium balloon tanks. Since it costs a dollar a balloon to get them blown up somewhere it seemed like a good deal. The only problem is that because the balloons don't have high-float in them they don't stay up for more than several hours.
The waiting game. His party started at noon and he counted down every minute beforehand. I was glad to catch him playing happily at the table with his new Spiderman doll though...but don't think for a second he wasn't counting how many minutes till his party. 
We had decided to give Graham a new bike for his birthday. Matt said he would be in charge of picking it up. The night before when Matt got home from work he was extra tired. The first thing he said was, "I didn't get the bike yet but I'll go to Kings and get one. " I knew Matt just wanted to stretch out on the bed and relax. I suggested we let Graham go on his birthday and pick one out. Matt asked, "Are you sure?" "Yes," I told him, "it will be fun."

It turned out well to have Graham with us the next day because he didn't care for the bike at King's at all. We ended up with this cherry red number from Walmart. Graham would want me to tell you that he does NOT need the training wheels but that they came with it. Matt took them off when we got home. There have been a handful of pretty days since then that he and Grayson have been able to ride bikes to school.
When I talked to Donna on the phone about the pretty weather we have been having she said, "Oh we've had a real cold spell blow in. It's been in the 60's and 70's." I told her, "That's what it's been here."

It looks like this one friend is saying a blessing on his food. He is! He is totally praying.
Matt reading "Left Foot Right Foot." Graham also wanted to go fishing, play Bingo, duck duck goose, and just play play play play.
Later in the day we went to Utah County. Matt had some business at Cabela's and it seemed a good birthday destination. Graham seemed to really like it there, "This is a great place to come to on my birthday!" We had dinner at IHOP after having a run of bad luck everywhere else we went. 
We were finally all together as a family after church the next day to cut the cake.
What else does Graham love? Nutella. I had to run to the dollar store and knew I would be cutting it close to when he got dropped off from Kindergarten one day. I left the front door unlocked. He must have come home just a moment before I did because he opened the garage door for me. He was already up to his eyeballs in Nutella. I laughed when I pictured him coming home. Upon realizing he was by himself he went stright for that Nutella.

Getting the boys to stay dry at night has been what they call, enough to drive a mother to drink. As I was stripping his bed sheets the day before Graham's birthday I noted there were only two diapers left. I said, "Oh look you can get some more diapers for your birthday." Later when I went by his room he was all grouchy and Callie was trying to console him. He said, "Well MOM (loud enough so I could hear) wants me to have a bad day. Then I heard Callie say, "She's not that bad."

He did not get diapers for his birthday, instead he got things he loves most. One of his favorite things was a box of Legos from Grandma Donna. Graham is obsessed with building. He wants to go to Engineer College he says. He asked me to tell him something about it. I told him I don't know anything. He asked, "Not one thing?" Not. One. Thing.

Here is what I do know. My life would not be as rich as it is without this little guy.