Promenade April 27, 2013

Jr Prom is usually a big deal no matter where you live, but here in Heber it is especially a big deal because it also includes the Promenade. Matt kept saying what an odd word he thought that was. I finally said, "It's not thaaaat odd." Then I realized he was pronouncing it "PromenOG."

We were in a bit of a time crunch to find a dress for Katrina. One day I got on-line and saw that there were even fewer dresses to choose from than I originally thought. I texted her a picture of one I thought was pretty. She said she liked it okay but wanted to keep looking.

I went with my motherly instincts and ordered the dress anyway! The next weekend she came home with a dress in hand that she had borrowed from a freind's neighbor that she was excited about. A few days later I asked her to try it on for us. She was in her room forever so I sent Ava to fetch her. Ava came up to report tht Katrina no longer wanted to wear the dress. I told Kat to come up anyway. She didn't think the cream colored dress did anything for her skin color. I crossed my fingers that the dress I ordered would come soon since the dance was the following weekend. The next day while she was at an FBLA conference it came. It was prettier out of the box than even I thought it would be so I texted her again, "We can keep looking but don't rule out the JCPenney dress because it came today and is so pretty!" She was surprised I had ordered it but excited to come home and try it on. It looked great on her and best of all it was LONG. She could still wear heels and have it touch the ground. She thought it was a tad boxy in the bust. But since I am my mother's daughter and knew what I needed to do, add DARTS.

I loved looking at it hanging in my room as we added accessories and played with different jewlery. She found a nude pair of shoes here in town. I suggested a nude lip as well. She said, "I hate nude lips. I will be wearing RED." I liked that she could tell me what she did and didn't like. I also liked that I could text her pictures while I was out and about. I texted her some necklaces. They were a no-go. I texted some eyeshadow, "I like it!" 
She opted to have her hair done professionally even though I know Mallerie and Ava could have pulled off the same effect. I stopped by the salon after I picked up the boutonniere to show her. I was surprised at how emotional the whole event was for me. I teared up at the floral counter! I didn't expect it. I guess not only because this is a big deal but because it signals how old she is getting. I decided to call my mom and invite her to that nights festivites. 


Her date was Rishi Rasmussen who is also a Junior at WHS. He was gussied in his tux and looked rather dashing I thought. When my mom saw him at the High School she declared he was the best looking guy there. Weather or not Katrina was thrilled to go with him she never let on. I respected that she only acted thankful and graceful. 
The Promenade was held in the Nest at the HS. We couldn't decide where to sit. Matt was already seated up close but I worried we wouldn't be able to see once the floor was full of dancers. We moved across the gym to the other side. Then we saw Katrina and she told us that if we stayed there we would only see her back. She pointed to where she would be dancing and it was where we had just moved from! Matt doesn't get to hear it very often so I will say it now, "Matt was right." We moved a third time and were able to see just fine. They introduced about 15 couples at a time and then each took their place on the dance floor. The choreographed dance had been practiced by all of them the week before and ended with each date handing a rose to their gal. It was sweet. At the end the Dad's were invited onto to the floor to dance as well. Callie couldn't resist and was down on the floor in no time dancing with Katrina and Matt. 

Callie had also stood in-between Katrina and Rishi as they exchanged corsage and boutonniere. There she stood sandwiched between them with her head cocked back. Here she is sandwiched again. Ava has always been a mini Katrina. In looks, not so much personality. 
When Katrina was trying to decide on a dress I had her try on my Prom dress. It fit her like a glove and I thought it was so lovely on her. Mallerie however became a laughing hyena till I had to say, "That is enough!" Katrina said she would get too hot in long sleeves. Otherwise...
 1994

All dolled up with SOMEplace to go!
 Katrina always looks lovely but looked especially gorgeous on this night. 
I was pleased inside that I was able to be part of this occasion in the days leading up to it as well as the night of. 


Dinner was provided by the parents of one of the boys, Tate. They also ate in his lovely backyard.

In her group were her two of her besties: Hazel and Liz and their dates. She got ready at Liz's house and said she was just going to leave from there. I said, "I don't think so!" How could I have her picked up somewhere else and miss the whole thing. No way. 

The actual PROM was held at the Zermatt Resort in Midway.
She truly had a wonderful time. 
And you know what, Katrina deserved it. She is beautiful inside and out.

***
I couldn't help but snap a photo as I left the HS of this limousine sports car. Matt saw another set up where a red carpet was rolled out. Yowsa.