Malmal growing up! SEVENTEEN 6/3/15


Mallerie's day started off at the crack-of-dawn just like all of her summer days stated out. She is 100% dedicated to her Cross Country team. You'd have to be to give up the chance to ever sleep in as a teenager. When she showed up to XC on June 3rd all her teammates were sporting two braids:)

When buying a shirt for Mallerie I really only have one criteria to go by: must have stripes.
Next Mallerie tried on her new skirt over her shorts. She and Binnie were a checkerboard!
After sending her out for a surprise hair apt we headed down the canyon. From all the rain we had had everything was so GREEN.

I was driving and it was fun to be the only one who knew where we were going. As we drove UNDER the freeway into the industrial park of Orem, Mallerie asked, "Where are we going?" As I parked I said, "I thought we could do some shopping!" I handed her a gift bag. She opened up a ring box with a green, adjustable CTR ring inside. Hmmmm. She had said that she wanted a real CTR ring and specifically requested, "Not a green, adjustable one." I told her we were at LDS Bookstore where she could pick out a real CTR ring.
 I thought it would be neat if she decided what she wanted engraved inside. She chose the scripture reference Phil 4:13, and her name and birthdate. It is so pretty on her.
The cashier suggested we add on a ring box for $3. I asked Mallerie if she would ever use it. She said, "Nah." Graham piped up, "Boy, I sure would use it...." The lady was sweet, "Well, I'll tell ya what. This one is too dusty to sell so I will let you have it for free." Graham left the store with a big smile while Callie left the store with a big frown.

For an afternoon snack we each chose a cupcake from the Sweet Tooth Fairy. Graham couldn't even wait for a quick photo before digging in. I was happy to see Callie's toothless smile return.
As we drove to the mall we were fascinated as we watched the removal of Mervyn's Department Store. Callie was all of a sudden distraught, "That was my most favorite store..." (though I don't recall her ever actually going there.) Callie's emotions change by the minute.

The swimsuits were on clearance for only $12. I had noted on spring break that Callie was in dire need of a new one (why do they get so baggy??) We found a cute one and I asked her what she thought. She looked at it and said, while holding out jazz hands, "It's just so...Disney!"

Still, she was happy to show her big sis's her new purchase.
We had to hurry and check out because we were cutting it close to Graham's coach pitch game back in Heber. However, we did make time to run into Village Inn to buy a birthday pie.

It was nice to cheer on Graham all together. Mallerie even went home and picked up Grayson and his pal. After the game, I attended a musical event at the library with the babes. A bit cheesy for my particular taste...and I like cheese.

Dinner was at Cafe Rio. It was a "YES" day for Mallerie, she got whatever she wanted.
When I asked her in the days leading up to her birthday if she wanted to have people over for a party she said, "Everyone is going to be gone for the summer already." However, when I was at grocery shopping just a couple of days before, for some reason bought a TON of food. I ran into a friend and she said, "Whoa!" at the sight of my piled high cart. 

The evening of Mallerie's birthday she said, "I guess some kids are going to come over after all." The door bell rang...and rang, and little by little the kitchen was full of friends. That girl can fill a room! I was so happy to have plenty of food on hand. I served fruit and veggies, chips and salsa, homemade cookies, and ice cream. It was a tender mercy.

Mallerie's friends said, "I hardly recognized you without your braids!" Mallerie assured them that her braid days were not over, "I had a hair apt." 
The friends were talking about scary movies so and I suggested they watch "What Lies Beneath." It's one of my favorite scary movies but I haven't seen it in years. When I watched it a week later I questioned myself for recommending it to a bunch of teens:/ 

We didn't dig into that pie till the next day. 
(I didn't feel like being as generous with the banana cream as I was with the carrot sticks). 

Oh how we love our Mallerie! We will support her in life no matter what hat she chooses to wear.