Dear Sister Bocanegra September 10, 2015

Full Week, Full Heart
Oh my goodness where to begin! All kinds of things were going on for Labor Day. 
Cute doll bedding for sale at Swiss Days
Swiss Days being the biggest as you know. This is the first year that I have had all day to myself so I was really looking forward to being able to go to Swiss Days by myself during the day (I found myself ducking away from people I knew before they saw me because I really just wanted to be my myself). I miraculously found a decent parking spot and had just arrived at town square when my phone rang. It was dad saying, "You need to pick up Callie from school because her toe is bleeding." Argh! No way. I explained where I was. Dad said he would call the school back and tell them to put a bandaid on it. So....I really did enjoy my time shopping BUT this toe issue was looming on the back of my mind the whole time. I felt guilty for not dropping everything to go and pick her up. But if I was waiting till her toe healed to send her to school she'd miss the first three weeks! That toe... I found myself explaining myself to complete strangers to get validation that it was okay, "Yes that is fine, you did the right thing," they would tell me. When I picked up Callie at the end of the day she said she had a great time being pushed in the teachers chair all day. Thankfully the toenail finally came off that weekend (don't worry I will not send pictures;) Callie said, "I am going to put it under my pillow!"

Dad also texted me that day to show me two Taylor Swift tickets that he had purchased for me and Binnie!!!!

What??? He said, "Don't ask!" He probably sold a kidney, but I didn't ask! The concert was that very night and so I wanted to surprise Ava that we were going. She went to Rachel's house after school and so I texted her and said, "We are ALL going to the soccer game with Dad tonight, it will really mean a lot to him." She was such a good sport about it, "Okay." Dad had tickets for the other hot event in town Mexico/Trinidad and Tobago at Rio Tinto Stadium. He got them through work and had invited the Caciques and Justin and Jocelyn and some of their friends. They couldn't believe that dad got tickets!

We picked up Ava from her friend's and drove to Salt Lake. I had so much anxiety over all of it. I was so excited, but afraid something was going to get in the way of us actually being able to go. I kept saying things to dad about his driving, "Did you see that guy? Are you slowing down?" It wasn't till we were off the freeway headed towards Energy Solutions Arena that I said to Ava, "Do you want to change? I brought an extra shirt if you want to." She said, "What shirt did you bring me?" I pulled out her RED tee shirt, "I don't know....I thought maybe you'd want to wear THIS." She died! "NO way! Are you serious!?!?!?!??!" Dad said, "Happy Birthday Ava!" It was cool that we were close to the arena at that point. Callie woke up just then and Graham filled her in on what she had missed. She was sad, "Why don't I get to got to Taylor SMITH???" I explained you have to be older to go to concerts. Me and Ava squealed and giggled as we walked into Energy Solutions arena. I didn't let out a sigh of relief until we were actually in the building! I worried the tickets were fraudulent (I have got to get over the worry in me I think;) Both of us had to use the bathroom right away so we waited in a long line for that, then we waited in a long line for a tee shirt. The energy, the excitement, it was everywhere! We snapped photos, we instagrammed.
 We grabbed a pretzel and water and made our way into the arena and were pleased that our seats were in the lower bowl. On the back of each chair was taped a bracelet. We put ours on and pulled out the stopper but they didn't do anything. Then I realized, "I bet they are synced with the show!" There were lots of tunes from the 80's blaring and it really took me back. It was at that point that I realized that in 1989 I was just starting the 8th grade and now here I was at the1989 World Tour with Ava...who just started the 8th grade!


We went crazy with everyone else when "Welcome to New York" Started up and out came Taylor. Our bracelets were lighting up and it still gives me chills when I think about how cool it was!
 Should I not be telling you this? I am torn between you wanting to know it all and NOT wanting to know it all! It was a great show. You remember RED, she puts on a great show! Ava sent you an email about the concert as well.  

 The final number was, "Shake it Off." The bracelets were going crazy changing colors and blinking, which gave such a cool effect through the audience. Afterwards we thought they would quit working but now they just light up when you tap them.


It was perfect timing to meet up with dad. They left Rio Tinto and headed downtown when the soccer game was over. As we walked to the car Callie was hanging out the window. She called to us, "We had beer thrown on us and we saw a fight!!!" Needless to say, it was a very different crowd than at the Taylor Swift Concert.


I got up on Saturday and took Graham back out to Midway to see Mallerie in the parade. By the time we parked we had just missed Wasatch High School lead the parade. I said "We can catch up," but the parade was moving so fast! We were walking as fast as we could and could NOT pass the marching band! I finally gave up and we stood to watch the parade. Sis. Jeppson was there and asked, "Oh you missed student government? They are in cars and Mallerie is waving out the window." This gave me the motivation I needed to tell Graham, "Come on, we CAN catch them!" We had to walk the entire parade route before finding her. It was Graham who spotted her in the Wasp car. She was calling, "Abby!" 

Graham wanted to take the shuttle bus back to our parking spot. I knew we would be backtracking but it had started to rain at that point so we got on the bus. By the time we got off the bus the rain had stopped and we started our walk to the car. An older couple was on the shuttle and the diver asked if they had enjoyed Swiss Days. The lady said, "Not particularly, it all just seems like someone else's junk to me." Ha! I, however found some treasures the day before. 

The rain started again so we darted into Fillerup Station for breakfast. Graham put ice cream cone hats on our heads and we snapped a "Brain Freeze" photo.
Graham had to move seats when he realized he was right in front of the zombie mannequin.
It was a repeat of the Saturday before, Graham and I out for Saturday morning breakfast. On our walk back to the car we passed a very old condemned house. It was right across the street from a remodeled old house. I said, "Someone needs to fix up this one like they did the other one." Graham stared at the old house, "Yeah, they are probably just too creeped out."

When we got back home it was about time for Matt's football guests to arrive: Mark, Mason, Rachel, Keagan, Ademir, Kei, and the cutie boys, Gio and Matteo. I still had to grocery shop and work a little so I didn't watch the game....which I am sure even you have heard about by now. I wondered if the sound actually went up in the city of Provo! When the winning touchdown pass was caught with only 1 second of play, the basement erupted in craziness (more chills)! I saw on FB that Missy was actually at the game in Nebraska. You can imagine Gray. It was like he had been to a Taylor Swift concert. I think Grayson's happiness over it all is what makes ME the most happy. He had a good weekend. He had gone to the soccer game Friday night. I had given each of the kids some money to choose a treat. Grayson chose cotton candy. He said Gio walked up to him to offer some licorice. Gio told him, you can have some as soon as you finish that," he said, pointing to Grayson's huge cotton candy;)

Callie went to a birthday party on Saturday. All weekend long she had a $20 bill in her pocket. I figured it was from Fair Days. After the weekend she brought it to me and said, "Koko just came up and gave me this at her birthday party." I was reminded of when that kid gave you $20 in second grade just for winning a bet. I did the same thing and contacted the parents. The mom was grateful and came and got it the next day. 

Sunday was nice and relaxing, I didn't have any meetings. Graham said, "I like it when you don't have meetings." I was here for when Mallerie got asked to Homecoming. Her date and his brother were blindfolded on chairs on the sidewalk. She had to throw water on her date if she hadn't been asked and the answer was yes. She was supposed to throw water on his brother if she had been asked and the answer was no. I was watching, his mom was watching, she said YES.

That night we played Sorry and Clue as a family. I was so focused on making sure dad didn't win that he did both times and I lost (something else I can work on;) Mallerie was cracking us up during the games with her handwaving antics. Then when we were in bed the doorbell rang at like 11 pm. I knew this was most likely Homecoming related as well. Matt got the door and then fetched Mal. It was so beautiful! Dozen's of candles lined the walkway. I think we ALL felt swept off our feet.

The kid who she has basically has had a little crush on since middle school was asking her. We all felt so sad! I told her she had to text him that night so he didn't sleep on his hopes. She said she was so sorry but she had been asked a few hours earlier. (She learned at school that they are friends and when one learned the other was asking Mal he said, "I am going to beat you to it." Argh.) Dad calmed my frazzled nerves, "She did the right thing. That is all she can do, and she did the right thing."

That day in Relief Society Sis Hall taught about missionary work. During the comments it was brought up that there is a lot of focus now-a-days on retention. A lady who was visiting with her mom raised her hand and said, "I have been inactive since 2008 but being here today and listening to your comments, I think it is time for me to come back." I knew Sis. Hall had followed the spirit to teach that lesson that day. 

I wrote down some names of people that came to my mind who I needed to contact during the week. There is one sister who I am pretty sure was offended by some comments made in Relief Society because she hasn't been back. So Tuesday I baked up four loaves of zucchini bread (because we have it coming out of our ears!) and I took her some. She is a young mom with four kids. When she came to the door I simply told her I had been thinking about her and hadn't seen her in Relief Society and wondered if she had been offended." Yeah, I just asked her. She said she wasn't but they were just busy. Still, I think she was, it's just hard to say out loud. She visited with me for a while and I left feeling really glad I went. Then I took some bread to the new neighbors in the Ballif's house (well they have been there a year probably :/) She too said, "You know, I need to start coming back to church. When is scouts? My son would love to go." Then I took a loaf to Sis Bunnell who I learned is recovering from kidney cancer. It was neat to hear the miracle of how they caught it and see the Lord's hand in her recovery. That night at dinner the kids were sad that there wasn't more zucchini bread. I explained where all of it had gone and they weren't sad anymore. 

As far a being offended goes, I read about Captain Moroni and Pahoran that day (Alma 60-61). Moroni jumped to conclusions about why the government wasn't sending supplies to his army and he chastised Pahoran severely. In Pahoran's letter back he could have been completely offended. Rather he said (61:9), "And now, in your epistle you have censured me, but it mattereth not; I am not angry, but do rejoice in the greatness of our heart." I think that is such a good lesson to remember. Sometimes people will say and do things that ARE offensive, but if we look to the reason they said it we can look past the offense.

Monday was Labor Day and it started out a lot like Memorial Day, breakfast at Growlie's Cafe.
Later we went to the Zoo. I bought season passes because of this Zoorasic thing they have going on and we wanted to go back on a sunny day to be able to see the dinosaurs roar.
This shirt Matt picked up for Graham this summer has been worn almost daily.
It was lovely! The weather was perfect. The crowds were huge, but after Harry Potter World we have a new definition of what a "crowd" is don't we:)
I took the babies on the carousel while Dad waiting for the bird show. We barely got there in time but I am glad we made it, I forgot how entertaining it is.
Grayson was ducking out of every picture...but I got him!
We continued the dino theme by driving to Layton to see Jurassic World. Why clear to Layton you ask? Because they are the only theatre still showing it in 3D! It was one of those theatre's with recliners. Not a bad way to watch a movie. Not bad at all.
It was good we had avoided Provo Canyon that day because a fire broke out up by Cascade Springs. Bishop Eriksson's been all over the news talking about it. Also a rockslide happened on the Provo trail!

Yesterday I took Graham and Callie to Cal's birthday party. Picture that sparkly eyed kid with a big truck cake in front of him and cousins surrounding him singing, "Happy Birthday to you!" It was presh. 
I was noticing all the American Flags and was pointing them out to the babies as we drove along the freeway. If you are looking, they are everywhere! I don't know if it is because of 9/11 coming up that they stood out to me or all the trouble in the world causing refugee's to flee into other countries, but I am so grateful to live where I do! I was driving to Walmart on Saturday and I passed a family of four standing by their van with a sign, "Need money for food and gas." The girls had their heads covered with black veils. My heart broke. "I cannot help the thousands of refugees, but I can help these people, I thought," I swung the van back around and gave them what I had. 

Before we left to Lehi we tried out one of those same day MTC Delivery places. There was a mom and daughter in front of us with tear streaked faces sending a letter to their missionary they had just dropped off hours before...
We bought a missionary countdown chart at Seagull Book. The kids can color in a circle till the temple is all filled up. In hindsight I should have given it to this mom and daughter...

I hope that is the right camera charging cord we sent you. It is the ONLY cord I can find so it HAS to be it. We stuck some other random things in the bag for you as well. Callie was very eager to write to you and remind you the order of our family: Katrina, Mallerie, Ava, Grayson, Graham, Callie, Poe, and the fish. (Haha hehe haha heheHA!)

The MTC nurse called last week for insurance information. Any recollection where that card could be? You probably should have it with you on your entire mission. Maybe dad can get a replacement card. But MOST important is that your pinky heels up okay. You are in our prayers. Between Ava's foot, Callie's toe, and now your pinky, this has not been a pain free summer! BUT we feel the blessings and spirit of having you on a mission. Thank you for your service. We love it! We love you!
Love, M!

PS: You are sure you don't need the Bulgarian Book of Mormon with you? It is driving Mallerie crazy. She keeps picking it out of the basket for scripture reading, "Ahhhhh! I did it again!"