Dear Sister Bocanegra September 2, 2015


Hello Dear Sister Katrina Bocanegra!

Callie lamented to Dad and I on Friday night as we were leaving Day's Market, "I miss Katrina, don't you??" I reminded her that we had just seen you two days ago. She said, "Well Graham and I miss her because that is how much we love her." Emphasis on WE.

We had such a relaxing weekend! With the yard work and house projects all complete (from your open house) there was time to relax! We took our pizza to duck pond and fed the ducks. It was so picturesque. We also went to the creek at Huber Grove and the babies played and played. Dad and I watched a squirrel organize pinecones for the winter and it was BUSSSSSY. It was like there wasn't enough hours in the day for this squirrel to get done all that it needed to. (It's like Sis Romney Goulding stocking up on Investigators for the winter ;)



On Saturday morning I took Graham to Mallerie's race in American Fork. This one was different than the one we went to in Springville. It was only two miles and they had to jump over hay-bales. (Leave to AF to pull something like that;)



 I took Graham for breakfast at Jim's Family Restaurant afterwards. When I requested a table for two he said, "We've never needed a table for two before!" Then he thought, "Well, I guess you and dad have." 

We needed to get a big breakfast in us because we were meeting up with the Taylor's, Cade and Vi, and Jon and Eli, to hike to Silver Lake up American Fork Canyon. 





A GREAT GROUP TO HIKE WITH





It was so gorgeous! What a great group to hike with. There is something about being in the great outdoors that is energizing to the soul. Jon got a flat tire on the way up so he and Cade ran ahead on the way down to fix it. I had a chance to hike down just me and Vi. She told me all about school and her friends, like that one has an Italian ice hand sanitizer. And she was certain Ivy was going to brag about the snacks she had at Nanna's that day :) 

On Sunday we had Patriarch Gardner from our stake come and address the adults and youth. We learned that Joseph Smith was the first Patriarch in the church. After that an Apostle did the ordaining of a new Patriarch. However, as the church has grown Stake Presidents now ordain Patriarchs. 

As you know, Bulgaria doesn't have any Stakes and therefore they don't have Stake Patriarch's. Members can however travel to any patriarch to receive their blessing. Patriarch Gardner said that a girl from West Indies came to receive her blessing from him. I thought it was neat that it meant so much to her to travel all that way!

He also shared how he prepares to give blessings. In addition to much fasting and prayer, he does not have any media in his home, he doesn't have television, he isn't on any social media sights, the only music he listens to are hymns. The last movie he saw was Frozen with his granddaughters. It made me think of you as a missionary with the same guidelines and how much closer to the spirit you will be by not having worldly distractions. What a wonderful opportunity!

Another thing I learned was that at lds.org Patriarchal blessings of our ancestors can be requested.
When we were sharing things we had learned at church around the dinner table that night, Mallerie remembered that he said our blessings serve as a protection to us. 

Ephesians 4:11 Evangelists = Patriarchs. Also the 6th article of faith.

Sister Inez Horner told me on Sunday what a wonderful job she thought you did with your farewell talk. 
Yesterday I was Visiting Teaching Sister Rickers (hey, it was the 31st!) and she said how much she enjoyed your talk. The specific things she pointed out were how lady like you looked. She said, "The clothes she wore, to the way she had her hair, to her lipstick, I just loved all of it!" She told Kaziah all about it afterwards and K said, "I would have gotten off work to come hear her speak." Sis Rickers thought you spoke so powerfully.

The Visiting Teaching message this month is on the example of the meek and humble way that Jesus Christ served. "...Perhaps some of the most sacred words in all the scriptures are simply, 'Not my will, but thine be done' (Luke 22:42)." "Humbly submitting our will to the Father brings us the empowerment of God-the power if humility."
One sister I visited is overwhelmed with three young children at home and a husband with medical challenges. I assured her that her service to her own family is enough! Another sister I taught works at the hospital and she encounters some pretty grouchy patients. There was one particular guy that was really rude. In fact ,any time the staff came in, his wife would apologize for him. However, this sister paid him close attention and served him by going the extra mile. At the end of his stay he gave her hug and told her what a difference she had made to him. 
The moral of this is that WE SERVE WHERE WE ARE.
Just like the story Grandpa shared of taking the Bulgarian through the Conference Center tour. That was a good story!

I will be teaching Relief Society today at the Care Center and hope to be able to get this message to these aged sisters who at this point are just enduring to the end.

We will be so anxious to hear any and all details of your first week in the MTC. Like I said, any and all details will be appreciate ;)
LOVE, M!

PS: Dad and I enjoyed reading through the mission packet and more about Bulgaria in general. Particularly I loved the part that said, "It is exciting to pioneers in this new frontier...You will have the opportunity to contact many choice people who have never had the opportunity to hear the truths of the restored gospel, We need your help to get that message to them."

I also noted the interesting fact that bobby socks are not to be worn on the mish.
bob·by socks
noun
NORTH AMERICANdated
  1. short socks reaching just above the ankle (used chiefly in the 1940s and 1950s to refer to the socks worn by teenage girls).

Just sayin;)

PPS: How about that photo of Romney holding that monkey!? Haha!