ROOM RE-DO! Summer 2017

With Grayson ready to start High School, I wanted to give him a room that is a little more grown up. The boys still have a room with car curtains, bright red bunk beds, stacks of books they have outgrown (which Callie was delighted to have moved to her room), toys they no longer play with, bedding that is worn out, paint that is chipped, walls that are dinged, and is otherwise nonfunctional. Yikes. Everything needed an overhaul. I had already started to remove things from the room when I realized I should take a before picture. 
BEFORE
I couldn't believe how long it took me to patch the holes in the walls. It was like they had all been used as a corkboard, not to mention larger dents and dings. I also repainted all the trim and then started on the walls. Graham and Callie were happy to help. I have seen cute artsy rooms that would be fun to do but who am I kidding, the boys just want a BYU room. Graham begged for darker blue walls but I explained it would suck up all the light. Once the paint dried on the walls he agreed it was a good-looking color. I think I have finally gotten my technique down for a perfect paint line. I will sound like Napoleon saying this but, "It's pretty much the best paint job I've ever done."

Grayson was gone to scout camp and we thought it would be a fun surprise for him. His mattress was on the floor when he got home and he was so bummed. He pictured being able to relax in his room after a week of camping. Instead of hearing ooh's and aah's we heard, "Why are you changing it? It was fine the way it was. Where is all my stuff? I've been sleeping on the ground all week." 
Why did I think I would hear differently??

Matt was so great to join me in this project. I won't deny feeling like there "too many cooks in the kitchen" at times, but it really made the project doable. Mmmm the SMELL of spray-paint. 
Here we transform the red bunk bed into slate twin beds.

Miner's Retreat was the next week so we didn't move the beds or furniture back in yet. This was fine because the CARPET we ordered wouldn't be in till we were back anyway. YES, we ordered carpet! We found a local company here in town that we were happy to support. I notice that I always choose a patterned carpet. It is a gutsy decision to cover hardwood with carpet and I didn't go into it lightly. It is just that the boy's room is so loud. Also, when Graham drops a Lego it skids across the floor and gets lost under the bed, along with dust-bunnies that the boys can never reach with a broom. Yes, looking back I definitely made the right decision. 
I sure heard a lot of clanking and banging going on as the carpet was laid, but after I got it all vacuumed up it was glorious. The SMELL! Graham enjoyed an empty room for a bit.
I was on errands while Matt reassembled the beds. When I got home I could see the room was going to be amazing already. We brought in just what the boys use, organized the closet, and put up Graham's beloved posters. May favorite part was putting fresh bedding and pillows on the beds.

 Wah-lah! AFTER

Graham's Lego building station is his favorite part. He has them all organized by colors in the bins. He has a new lamp that helps him see the detail he is working on and he can display his creations on his shelf. He spends many a hour here.
 Gray keeps his side a lot simplier. Now that it is done of course he loves it. "Sorry Mom and thank you for all the hard work, I really love it."


The boys have the Wii set up and sometimes at night they put in a movie. It's cozy.
 That CARPET.

As we gathered in there that evening it felt like we were in someone else's house so different was the transformation. Now instead of leaving the laundry basket by the closed door and running, I keep the door open and often stand at the door to look in. It was not uncommon in the days following for the room to be the hangout of the house.
When I tuck the boys in at night I go on and on about what a nice space they have and they oblige me. I say it so often that one day as I was standing at the door while Graham was concentrating at his Lego desk. He turned and said, "Yes, I love my room." 
He beat me to it!