Binnie,
LIFE IS PRECIOUS
Since Payton and Amy also lived near us, there was a vigil on Tuesday that went to all three women's houses. I stood on the lawn with Callie as hundreds of WHS students passed by on foot. Martha came outside and watched with us. She stated that she was coming home from Sam's on Monday night (I had gone to Sam's that day as well) and she saw the burning cars. We spoke of how precious life is. Then yesterday, as I worked in the yard, she came to tell me that the Thursday wreck was a member of her family. I am just heartsick for all of them. She was bringing me plums.
In the photo, Payton and Emma are sitting next to each other—to the left of Principal Johnson at Graduation 2020.
Grayson was sustained as an Elder at Stake Conference today. Bishop Richards offered a moment of prayer on behalf of those who have experienced loss. There will also be a special fast on the 27th for the families.
WE NEED MOISTURE, FAST
The fast will also be for moisture. It is the beginning of summer and we have already been asked by the Governor to ration watering our lawns. It just feels heavy here right now.
The talks and messages this weekend were all beautiful and poignant. I figure that what the families need, is time. Something that no one can give.
(Note: I am loving the low-maintenance of my silk flowers in the window box;)
GOLLY
Grandma had surgery on Friday to have the gallstone removed that has been causing her constant nausea since coming back from Hawaii. The stone was the size of an avocado. They found more stones as well so she had a second surgery. Today she is running a fever, which signals an infection. She will stay in the hospital on antibiotics till she recovers more. Many people to pray for at this time! I took Callie to spend some time with her on Wednesday while I donated plasma. Grandma marveled at what a sweet, mature, girl Callie has grown into.
BLOCK PARTY
We had a ward party with the newbies on Wednesday night. We picked up about 25 families—many of them came—as well as others from the neighborhood who just wanted a night out. Getting back to normal, little by little.Note: Socializing seems to exhaust me though! I came home pooped. On Saturday night we were invited to a couple's home to watch the basketball game outside, which means they wouldn't be starting it till dark. I said, "I already did that this week!" We declined. I was in bed before ten.
MARCHING ON
Graham was busy this week with band camp from 8-5 Mon-Thurs. Loooong days. They have begun to learn the marching routine. It seems so hard but he enjoyed it. I am glad he will have a niche from the get-go.
BOUNCING BACK
Callie used her bounce back at Lagoon on Friday. Dad was a gem to drive her and three other friends there. Since we were also on the docket to pick up, I suggested we make a date of it at Lagoon that evening. Dad and I got there about 5 pm. It was weird pulling up and then just waltzing in. Usually, we are unloading chairs, coolers, etc. We got dinner in Pioneer village, people watched on the Midway, caught a show (with Dippin Dots, of course), and then rode the sky ride. Super low-key and delightful. We met up with the girls at sunset to make sure we all knew where to be at 10 pm when the park closed. Again, when it was time to leave, it was strange to just leave! No camp to clean up, no sore feet to baby. I didn't hate it.
THE PLAN
And so, life marches on. We are grateful for each day and the knowledge we have of THE PLAN. There was a lot of emphasis on standing in holy places (D&C 45:32). I also studied that section in my institute class this week. I love this quote by Ann Dibb,
“We might first consider the word place as a physical environment or geographic location. However, a place can be a distinct condition, position, or ‘state of mind’. This means holy places can also include moments in time—moments when the Holy Ghost testifies to us, moments when we receive an answer to our prayers (Ann M. Dibb “Your Holy Places,” Ensign, May 2013)
a holy place can be a moment in time. I love that.
ROUD OF IT
I began volunteering at JR Smith this week for summer school. There was a gal, Britney Burton, who asked, "Are you Mallerie and Ava's mom?"
I am, and proud of it!







