A Freezin Season 2022

We never get this much snow so early on, but it has been so much fun. I got the porch decorated. I wanted it to be festive for when people start bringing us treats, ya know…

I took some leftover garland from the ward Christmas party. All fresh greens on the porch this year.

Christmas is up inside as well. Just little touches. Nothing to overwhelm me when it comes time to take it down.

 

You've seen the tree I set up in Callie's room. Graham set up a tree as well. That kid goes bonkers for Sprite Cranberry. He ordered straight from Amazon. Two orders.

It's always so cheery to see friends' and families' faces come in the mail. So cheery. 

We sent out a family card, as well. Had to plan in advance for this one:)


Book Club
Having the author join us for the December Book Club was a treat. Of course, with it being December, I wondered how the turnout would be. Every chair was filled! It was interesting to hear how she started up as an author and what went into writing The Paper Daughters of Chinatown. 

North Pole Express

This was Callie's first year as an elf on the North Pole Express; she went by the name of Bubbles. I knew she was working one day as I drove down the canyon. I looked across the lake and wondered which train car she was in.

While she was working one evening, Ava was also at work. Graham still hadn't come home from school. We knew he had stayed after but figured that he must have walked right to work. However, as Matt and I sat down to our charcuterie for two and poured our bubbly, Graham texted that he was ready for a ride home from west campus. There went the mooooooood.

PEACE of Cake
When I returned home from water aerobics on Monday, I showered up and then straightened the house. I opened the door to Callie's room and saw that she was still in bed. According to the pile on the floor, she was sick:/ It had happened at 4 am, but she hadn't been able to do anything about it. Soooooo. I changed my plans to fit in two days of laundry since it got on all the bedding, the bed skirt, the rug, and the clothes that were on the floor. Just when I thought I was out of that stage of motherhood, I get one more experience just for old times' sake. I had made a pineapple upside-down cake on Sunday night but after cleaning up the pineapple inside-out cake from off the floor, I shall never have another piece. 

Hoping for more peace instead.

I was reminded that quietly serving our family is how we can best be the Lord's hands during the season.

Ward Party
Man, it is nice to just show up after being in charge of many of these over the years. Thursdays are my busy days, so I got there late. The day had started with water aerobics, then a temple shift, then plasma, then a Sam's Club run. I called Callie and walked her through how to make funeral potatoes, and she had them there hot and ready, which I appreciated so much! As I was unloading the van after being gone all day, I really just wanted to relax at home! But I was indeed hungry and was looking forward to eating with my family. But the thing that really got me out the door was that I was excited to see my Sunbeams sing their Christmas song, "Picture a Christmas." When I walked into the cultural hall, one came up and gave me the biggest hug. Another walked me back to the table and showed me how to decorate a cookie. I put a bug in Matt's ear to see if I can stay with the same kids next year. It's nice to have a connection, ya know.  Callie asked me recently what my favorite calling in the church is. As I thought about it, I realized, "The one that I have!" I will add that preparing a 20-minute Sunbeam lesson takes a lot less time than a 50-minute Gospel Doctrine lesson!

Mallerie has a new calling, which she is going to love, I am sure. She will be wonderful as the Young Women President!

Speaking of...
As we decorated our Christmas tree last month, I loved seeing a handprint ornament that Mallerie made as a first-grader. I had my Sunbeams make one as well. I underestimated how much time it would take to put the little bags together on Sunday morning and Ava came to my rescue and finished for me while I got ready.
As the primary kids sang "Here Comes Santa Clause" and the big man entered the cultural hall, I opted to watch the primary kid's faces rather than him! Priceless.

Four Funeral Potatoes and a Shower
I had two more funerals to make potatoes for the next day. Matt has never had to be at two funerals at the same till now. His counselor conducted the other one but they all met up at the cemetery. One family opted to just go home afterward instead of having a luncheon. This worked out well because it would be difficult for the RS to do two at once. But I still felt they needed a luncheon, so Ava was a dear to help me put together more potatoes and the other fixins. I couldn't have done it without her help!

That night for dinner, she said, "Now I feel like funeral potatoes." We had made three pans but she hadn't gotten any. She went to the store for ingredients and then had a friend over while Matt and I went out.

We went to a delightful dinner with our dear friends Darren and Emily (30 years strong). We chose to get ice cream at Macey's—where it all began. The cashier at the Deli was Laura, from my old neighborhood! I was sad to learn that my best high school friend had just lost her husband to cancer. I reflected on this picture of us before graduation. Little did we know all that life would bring.
 
And yet, others are just beginning their family journey. The next day, it was exciting to be a part of celebrating Raegan and Tyrell and their new baby girl due next month. I had to wrap the ghee-ghee untied and finish it at the shower.
 Solly came up to me, "Wait, are you knitting that?" 
I told him, "I am tying a blanket that I made."
He said, "I didn't know that you could do that." 
As he walked off, I wondered if he meant that he didn't know blankets could be homemade or if he didn't know that I could make blankets.


Don't Eat the Soap!
More confusion ensued when my ministering sister texted that she had left something on my porch. I was gone all day, and so I brought in the plate that night. The next day, when I saw this same friend at Yoga, I thanked her for the yummy treat. She said, "I hope you didn't eat it, it's soap." 
I joked, "Oh man, I hope none of the kids ate it. Did you make it?" (I hadn't even taken the plastic off).
She looked at me like I was crazy, "It is pretty obvious that it is soap. No, I didn't make it." When I  came home, I saw that someone had brought in another gift and put it in the living room, which was Bath and Body Works soap. Duh! I laughed so hard picturing the conversation I had just had with my friend. I had to text her an explanation. 

I sometimes tell my goofy tales around the dinner table. After another time when I recounted how I had spun my wheels while on my errands because I had forgotten my wallet, Ava said "That sounds like an Abby day." Yet somehow I manage in the world, haha!

We still laugh about the time when the three girls sent me a Marco Polo from Kauai and I thought it was live, so I was talking back with them and everything. Didn't even notice that I wasn't actually participating in conversation till I rewatched it and didn't hear my voice!

Ava does her own goofy things as well. After Graham's band concert, Matt bought us a treat at Dairy Keen. Ava tipped her chocolate-dipped cone onto Graham's suit as she was transferring it to a cup. He cried out, "Ava! My suit!"

Christmas Time Fun
 We watched our favorite Christmas movies, went to the Messiah sing-in, and even saw a radio show of It's a Wonderful Life. I thought that Graham was going to the matinee so I was surprised when I saw him there. He does what he always does and said, "Hi mom!" I sat down right in front of him. That way I could reach back and hold his hand. 

I talked Ava into going to yet another play with me. Callie and her friend wanted a ride to Midway so I figured we might as well go too. It was baaaad. I mean, some plays are just not meant to be musicals. The acting, dancing, singing, and props were all wonderful, it was the storyline that was added. I couldn't believe it had been adapted by a woman. It was so embarrassing! We had plenty of laughs though, and I thoroughly enjoyed hanging with my girls. Ava spotted a Grayson look-alike in one of Callie's friends.
All while he was getting his Christmas on in Chicago.

Ava helped me wrap a 12 Days of Christmas package for him. He said all the things were so clever to open each day. 

My semester ended on the 14th and the temple closed for the season on the 15th. Both are so rewarding. My line-up of classes: The Helping Relationship, Family Stress and Coping, Psychology, and Child Welfare were timely and so valuable to me. I passed with my As again! The temple has felt extra rewarding lately as I have served several times as a live endowment guide and a bride guide. One lady was being endowed for the first time in her 50s. I thought what a lifeline my covenants have been to me throughout my life, and here she is just embarking. It was a reminder that time doesn't matter in the same way to the Lord. The best time is always now. I was able to fully turn my attention toward the holiday once the semester ended. I finished up my shopping at the mall. Matt had just been telling the kids about an Elder from the mission who is blind and plays the piano beautifully. I have seen him through the years at the mall, and saw him again the very next day. I said hello and slipped him a couple of bucks. We each have something valuable to offer the world.


A Sunday night face-timing Mal while Cal and Binnie get the moves to a T-Swift song just right.

Daddy Fun Day
So that Poe and I can get some things done at home, Matt took the kiddos for a day of fun. They had lunch at Mod Pizza before taking Ava to work and "hit" Top Golf. Graham said it was the best day ever. I agree:) Injectable donuts have his heart.

Ava has been working at a gift shop on Main Street in Park City. They finally got to see what it was all about when they dropped her off for her last day!


And with that, Christmas Eve Eve was behind us.