Thanks, I'm Full—November 2022

Snippets to Gray:

Monday, Nov 7, 2022

The girls are back and ready to switch gears to the holidays. We had snow this week and everything. They talked us into putting up our Christmas tree yesterday! I remembered the days when Callie had to sit on Dad's shoulders to put the star on top. This time she just stood on her tippy toes.  Although.... I attempted to replace the star last year but it turned out to be a no-go. Matt and I found a new star at Modern Display this year that we just love.

 


Monday, Nov 14, 2022

Yesterday was the Primary Program. I was in the front row with my Sunbeams. They are just as cute as can be and as wiggly as can be. When we sang "Families Can Be Together Forever," one of them turned to me and said, "I don't like this song. I just pretend I like it." Then during the song, he looked back at me like, "This is me pretending..." 

Yesterday was also special because Graham got his Patriarchal blessing. He looked so handsome in your black suit. He was so ready and looking forward to it. It is always such a special day for all of us. I still remember going and getting mine in 1993. Patriarch Gardner still remembers giving blessings to you other three as well. Mal was one of his firsts.


Monday, Nov 21, 2022

I came up with an idea to fit a few more people around the table for Thanksgiving. Dad is going to cut some wood that is bigger than our tabletop so that we can lay it on top and fit more chairs around it. We went out looking for some wood at Ace. I dropped my sunglasses as we walked out of the store. They hit Dad's foot exactly and he drop-kicked them. The lenses came out and everything. I was laughing way too hard about that.  

We found some boards but had to move the van seats completely forward to drive home. I barely had room to steer! Dad was the one who got a good laugh this time. I am a little worried about the commitments I have made by hosting and making all the food. I can do it no problem…when I am not a full-time student! Crossing my fingers that it all goes well.

Lots to do today to try and get ready! Thinking of you and SO grateful for your service.


Reunited! We picked up Katrina from Provo Airport on Tuesday, November 22, 2022. She got to see Binnie for the first time since Christmas of 2020.



I am so thankful that a couple of ward guys came over and were able to attach hinges to our new tabletop so that it was ready for the big day. I started fiddling around with decor from Thanksgivings past but I just wasn't feeling it. I asked Katrina what she thought and I appreciated her honest answer, "It's not really you, Mom." She was right!

I ended up using a real wreath Matt had just purchased from one of his priests and added flowers from Trader Joe's amongst my electric candles. I felt a lot better about it when I was done.

The girls said that it took listening to all of Taylor's new album and then some to iron the tablecloth. Ava and Callie made darling name tags and decided where to place each one. I could hear them putting quite a bit of thought into it.  Mini-meeeees.




The girls also made the bulk of the food while I was down the canyon. I was ever so grateful for them that I could cry. It was fun to have Mal texting for recipes and tips as well as she ventures into the realm of hosting.

My hands

(Gray wondered if Matt had gone hunting for the bird as well;)
 

The guests! 
We were so thrilled to have Grandma Donna, Mark, Jamie, Sami, and Kelton join us around our table.
The feast!
The pies!
 
The fun!

Katrina and Callie are in front of what looks like Glass Onions.
Gray: Kat few home to Austin on Saturday. Our weekend was pretty low-key. Maybe even a little too low-key. She was hoping to hit a holiday party with the family, but…the get-togethers seem to be down to Memorial Day if the weather is nice, a family reunion in the summer, every other holiday, a Goulding shower, or a baptism/farewell/homecoming. If you can hit one of those, great. If not. No Bueno. Mal felt the same when she came, "There aren't any family parties planned?" We really don't see each other all that often due to growing families, businesses, and differing interests. We did watch the Bear Lake talent show so she and Ava could feel a part of that.

Kat flew home one day too soon or she could have been a part of Alivia's homecoming in Elko.  We did the trek there and back in one day. We left at 8:30 am and got back 12 hours later. We even had to time to watch a couple of episodes of the Amazing Race.

The car ride went pretty quickly with the audiobook I played. Dad had started out with a podcast about covenant people gathering Israel, but I gotta say, by the time we were down Parley's we were already bored out of our minds. My book was about a tiny island in Canada that housed 38 stranded planes and 7,000 passengers on September 11th. Graham acted like he wasn't all that interested but with all the aviation talk, I knew he would be. On the way home he asked, "So are going to finish the audiobook?"
It was so great to see Ava and Alivia together after their missions.

We all ended up at the same rest stop. Solly came to the car to talk to me. He had seen a jumbo-sized Reece's cup inside for $15.99. He is going to ask for cash on his birthday to buy it. (Note: his birthday isn't until February)!
My kids have moved on from saying such funny note-worthy things but I always get some nuggets from Mr. Solly.