After 28 years with Frito Lay (PepsiCo.), the opportunity came up for Matt to switch jobs. The day after Labor Day, he began as a candy broker for Burdette Beckman Inc. (BBI). Even though it was a huge change, he felt at peace that it was the right thing to do. I said that I'd support him in whatever he chose. He is the one doing the job, after all. We put on Mickey's hands and waved goodbye to a chapter as we ushered in a new one. We are standing in front of his company car, which he had just received after a six-month wait. Below is us in front of his first "work car," which we used as a moving van in October 1995. He was 24 and I was 19. Frito is really all we have known.
He told the kiddos about the switch in the evening after the homecoming. They were surprised but supportive. It was sweet to see how much they have Matt's back. Honestly, we are all just so grateful he has been such a hard worker all of these years to support our family so faithfully. We feel very blessed indeed.
The job is similar enough that I may not have noticed the switch if he hadn't told me. He calls on some of the same customers, he just talks to different people. He even travels about the same amount of time to many of the same destinations. However, a few weeks later, I heard Graham laughing as he brought inside Matt's first package.
Instead of a porch full of chips...
"You give me gum gum dum dum."



