You Get a Car! And You Get a Car! And You Get a Car!...and Repeat! 2023

After waiting six months to get a new company car for Matt (a Toyota Rav4),  he got a flat within the first week while coming up Parley's Canyon. Eeeeek. And yet his car issues were just beginning. 

Next up was the need to get some wheels for Graham. After watching him switch the gears while driving the minivan, I said, "I think you would enjoy a stick shift." Matt located a Hyundai Accent at a somewhat seedy dealership off State Street in Salt Lake. It ran fine and checked out so we started the purchase process. We should have realized how much time this would take. The plan was to pick up the car, have dinner, drop Callie at a concert with the Gouldings, attend a reception in Mill Creek, and then drive home. Well, the paperwork at the Credit Union took so long that we barely had time to scarf a burger before getting Callie to the Depot downtown to see Half Alive. We then needed to drop her overnight things at Romney's in Magna. I was happy to see her place. I said I doubted we'd make the reception we had planned on going to. Romney said they had just bought a minivan and the paperwork also caused them to miss a reception. Then I wondered, should I even be invited if I was stopping to do all of these things on my way to the reception? I think not. 

Getting used to stick shift was a new ball game for Graham but he drove Callie to church the very next Sunday—albeit she said that it was a pretty jerky ride. He loves having real wheels for work rather than his motorbike. He learned to drive it so fast! He feels endeared to Manny.

Encouraged that the seedy lots may not be so seedy, Matt helped Ava locate a Jeep in Utah County. She said, "I want a mom car." When she came for my birthday dinner she drove us to Midway. It was a great ride. Until it wasn't. On the way to Alivia's wedding in Twin Falls and Elko, it overheated multiple times. We decided it was not a road trip car. 
However, I was grateful she parked near me in the cinema parking lot for when I hadn't shut down the van properly and the battery went flat. From that, we learned there was extensive corrosion on the van battery and Matt had it replaced speedy quick. All things for a reason, I figured—though it caused me severe angst.

Next up, Grayson. Just weeks after getting home from his mission, he decided that he needed some wheels. Again, a car was found at a seedy dealership. This time a KIA Optima. He attempted to take it on a road trip to Arizona but by the time he got to Beaver, the engine blew. Geesh! The engine seized while on the freeway. Thankfully, he was able to pull over safely and he and his buddy were unharmed. We learned that his KIA is not a road trip car either. 

Why own a lemon at all? Was it worth it to repair the engine? Matt stewed over these things with one of his counselors. Then, as they headed into sacrament meeting, a ward member stopped them and asked, "Do you know of anyone who could use a car?" The counselor smiled in Matt's direction. Matt answered, "Yeah, my son." The member went on to explain, "We have a spare car that we never use and we would love to give it to someone." It was a miracle—truly the hand of heaven was involved.

I drove it to Grayson in Orem the very next day. He was so grateful. What is even better is that it is a Toyota, which we trust. The photo is of Grayson outside Rocky Mountain Widows and Doors where he worked for Jon. Matt and I took Grayson to dinner. I suggested Milagros right up the road. Do you know what milagros means in Spanish? MIRACLES.

With Matt's new job came the need to turn in his company car. He gets a car stipend with the new company though, so once again we were in the market of buying a car. Understandably, we went with new. There was still a six-month wait for Rav4s but the dealership said they had a Venza in stock. We had never heard of a Toyota Venza but Matt said, "I'll take it." I didn't bother test-driving it because I never drive Matt's work vehicles. Besides, I love my minivan, which made the Venza feel a bit claustrophobic.

Fast forward a few months, and I drive the Vinny all the time. I love it. It is a tight ride down the canyon, taking curves like a champ. And. It has heated seats. I love it.

More convinced that Toyota is the way to go and with Binnie's Jeep having more and more trouble, Matt located a Corolla Cross for her. She met him at the Orem dealership on a cold December morning. The Jeep limped onto the lot and... died dead.

Meet Chlesea.
I am relieved to see her in a safer car that, yes, she has even taken on a road trip.

Seven cars later, we are taking a break from the car buying fiasco of 2023.