A Susurrous October 2023

Last Fall Before the Fall

While walking into the Provo temple, I realized this would be the last fall on these grounds. I was glad that, on this occasion, I was not in a hurry and could stop to enjoy the magnificent foliage. By this time next year, it will be a flat field of dirt.

After four and half years, my time as an ordinance worker had come to an end. I wondered how I would know when it was time to be released. I knew. 


I did my service hours (internship) for my Professional Studies class last spring at Wasatch Behavioral Health. They contacted me once school was back in session to ask if I wanted to help teach classes on Wednesdays and Thursdays at the middle schools. I felt my journey had led me here and would only open more doors, so I accepted, which meant I would have to set up an LLC. I realized on paper that it didn't make sense for how few hours I would be working. However, since I was in my final semester of college, I couldn't sensibly work more hours. I knew things would pan out if I followed my gut. 


Still, it was difficult to say goodbye to my Thursdays in the temple—which I have cherished so much—and the relationships I have developed. I knew how to pronounce the unusual Polynesian name of the lady who took this picture because I had seen her in initiatories so often. 


Toward the end of my four-year run, I had a Mr. Rogers system going where I only had to change my shoes and sweater before prayer meeting—bypassing the locker room altogether.



In the months following, I would see sisters from my shift, but they didn't seem to recognize me not in white. I saw several of them at Costco. Telling this to my mom's cousin John, he said, "We call Costco the Kirkland Temple." It gave me a chuckle.

More Churchy

Whenever there was a worldwide youth broadcast, the youth gathered to watch it at the Bishop's house. Our house.

"Busy as a man can be....he's our Bishop..." Graham had a captive audience at his flight simulator. According to Matt, it was the most interesting thing about the evening.





Going for Gold 

We were glad Graham could join us for one of Callie's Cross-Country races. Heaven knows she has been to a few marching band competitions! Lucky for him, he had a beautiful fall day. Like Graham, Callie competes in sunglasses, so she is easy to spot.

Graham was in the process of training for the JROTC PT test, which made him appreciate the stamina of the XC team all the more.



Scary Mommy
Sometimes you come across a picture that you have zero recollection of even happening. 

And yet, other things I can't unrecall. We ordered new screens through Jon (yay! to Jonny!) Before we put them in, we washed all the windows, which was sorely needed but no small feat. Then the bug man came. It was a new guy after many years. He sprayed all the windows! They looked terrible. Unfortunately, Carlos did not get a good review. I should have added the above photo with my review.
 Matt was a dear and rewashed all the windows. 

Scary Mummy
Ava brought her bestie to join us for our annual Halloween mummy dog dinner. It's the little traditions that make the holidays memorable. The more time that passes, the more I realize the importance of traditions. 



Taylor Swift's Era's Tour on the Big Screen
The long-awaited day of October 13th finally came! Callie and her pals had purchased tickets for an Orem theater back in August when the movie was announced. She bought an extra for Grayson since he missed the concert. However, he didn't feel too keen on going with a pack of teens (even though I reminded him that is the age difference of me and Matt and therefore, he could meet his future wife). This left Callie with an extra ticket and no one to pay for it. Alas...with all other options exhausted...she offered it to...
...me.
I wasn't thinking when I dressed as "plaid shirt days" how warm it would get in a dancing, singing, packed theater. 

The plan was always for me to drive half of them and for one of the girls to drive the other half. However,  when she left to, "Go fix the flat tire on my car" I started to feel nervous about that arrangement. Hmmm. 

At that point, I met Matt in the garage and informed him, "I think both of us will be taking the girls in two cars." He was a good sport and agreed it was the safest option. I had to scratch plans to attend cousin Rachel's daughter's reception that evening but didn't have another option. Besides, I was excited to see the movie! Matt booked a ticket for an adjacent theatre.

Earlier that day the girls came to our house to get ready downstairs. They watched the Reputation tour while curling hair, bejeweling, and eating pizza. 

I had to laugh when I looked at the front seat when the girls got out of the car. It was littered with glitter and friendship bracelet remains. A few days later when I heard Graham complain, "Callie you have to clean my bathroom, there is glitter all over," I knew he wasn't wrong. I thought of the line from one of Taylor's songs, "There's glitter on the floor after the party..."







The theater staff was pumped and we were pumped! The lobby was decked with photo-ops and there was a room with free posters. 

To say we enjoyed ourselves is an understatement! The girls were all so darling and excited. I fully understood all of it. 
I realized as we got up the canyon later that night, that we had not discussed if I was giving everyone a ride home or if they were being picked up at our house. As we pulled into town, I posed the question. One girl said, "Yes, I need a ride home." 
I joked, "Where do you live, in Daniel?" (since we had already passed it). She does live in Daniel. More and more chimed in, "I need a ride home, me too." It was a late night.

I'm Being Followed by a Moonshadow
And yet, other days were slow and calm. The Annular Solar Eclipse passed through the next afternoon, October 14th at 1:55 p.m. I got a photo of the groovy shadows it made in the kitchen. What I wish that I had taken a picture of was Matt sitting in the hot tub at high noon wearing his eclipse glasses. What it all meant to me was cooler temps were on the way, longer nights, and time for cozying up the house. 




These days of hair playing by Callie are numbered...I can feel that too.


First Day on the JAB! Oct 24, 2023
Who would have ever guessed that Binnie and I would both end up working for Wasatch Behavioral Health (WBH) at the same time? She is a receptionist for one of their Provo offices, while I am in the Heber office working in Prevention. We met up for lunch in Provo that very day. I suggested Sensuous Sandwich, which I had confused with the previous Gandolfos in downtown Provo. The menu at Sensuous looked like nothing but heartburn to Ava. In addition, we felt like Elf in a restaurant full of construction workers who looked like they wanted to hurt us.

We found refuge down the block at NuSkin in the breakroom area. Wow. It is set up for some lounging!



Growing, Growing, Gone.
We will miss having Grayson in our pew at church and him hanging around the house in general. After his mission, he realized he was now an adult put back into his life as a child. Though everything was comfortable and easy, he knew it was time to move on. He secured a place at Raintree Apts. in Provo, and that was that.

Realizing fast how said childhood passes, I was thrilled when Graham said he was going to dress as Indian Jones for Halloween—going back to his roots. I was tickled to look around the Halloween store in an attempt to find a whip for him—just like in the old days. Matt came up as the hero when he found a real whip at a convenience store. I loved watching Graham practice with that whip in the backyard—a scene I used to see frequently.

 

Cat. Man. Do

The day of Halloween creeps up in a way that usually leaves me feeling a bit unprepared. I wasn't sure of the middle school's policy on dressing up, but I felt underwhelming when my co-teacher showed up as a butterfly, and I was only me. I got myself a little more together for the evening haunts.
I went out as a big cat, the man went as an islander, and Callie-coo is gonna do what Callie is gonna do. She put on her squirrel costume from last year and even braved a few houses for some treats.


We still had a box of chips to hand out, but this will be our last year as the chip house. With Matt being a candy broker now, there is no telling what our loot will look like next year. 

Cause catmando!

Thanks, Cat Stevens.


Did it take long to find me?
I asked the faithful light
Yes, did it take long to find me
And are you gonna stay the night?

Oh, I'm being followed by a moonshadow
Moonshadow moonshadow
Leaping and hopping on a moonshadow 
Moonshadow Moonshadow