Seventeen on a Saturday
March 2, 2024
Graham left bright and early with the JROTC team for a competition in Layton. Matt and I met him there. It was the last time we would see him compete since he isn't doing it his Senior year. Growing pains. He did an amazing job as always. He has a good serious face. JROTC has taught him self-discipline and brought concise order to his life. He is laser-focused on his goals.
He left with us after he competed since he wanted to get on with his birthday celebrations. Some of his friends were meeting him at Top Gold in Salt Lake. I felt responsible for the friends driving the canyon for his sake. They would be giving him a ride home. My real concern, however, was the major storm warning. As we dropped him off at Top Golf, I told him I was going to Venmo him money. I gave him some options that he might use it for, such as pay for gas, paying for Top Golf admission, buying everyone lunch, or just keeping it! He said, "I will give you back what I don't use." I told him that wouldn't be necessary. I have a policy that if I give someone money it is no longer mine and, therefore, none of my business what they do with it.
Happy Birthday, little buddy.
Matt and I had trouble finding a place to grab a burger that didn't have a long wait since we were near Real Stadium and the game was ready to begin. I suggested Red Robbin since it was on the way home. There was no wait and endless stake fries. I enjoy watching families out enjoying their Saturday. We stopped at Sam's Club before heading up Parley's Canyon. I kept looking at Graham's location and was relieved that they were already well up Provo Canyon. I was also texting with Ava who was coming from up North and it looked like she would be home before the storm as well. Typing this out, it seems so obvious. Why were we still lolly-gaging if a storm was coming? I don't know! We were so worried about everyone else that we forgot to put on our own oxygen masks. Our drive was gnarly!!
There was a guy in a wheelchair digging out his car! One of the worst times we have driven the canyon. But, I didn't hate it! I felt safe in Vinny and Matt is a capable snow driver. Also, I had a captive audience to play the Era's set list and tell Matt about each song. In addition, the snow was fascinating and beautiful.
Good job, Vinny. Well done.
Graham's friends were at the house, still partying. I started on a birthday cake. Yikes, it's a bit lop-sided. But I repeated Callie's mantra, "You'll figure it out, you always do."
What was I made for? To wish Graham a Happy Birthday!
It was a fun surprise for him. Though he admitted that it is Ken, he is a real fan of (did you see his performance at the Oscars?).
The rest of his gifts were a bit odd to an outsider, such as his friends, who watched him open balsamic vinegar, elderberry gummies, and a light-up globe.
What a joy it has been to see Graham grow up to be such a stellar individual. He does things his way. While most Juniors were attending early morning ACT prep in the weeks leading up to the test, he said, "I want to see how I do with zero prep."He had to pivot completely when his plan for the JROTC Air Force scholarship for his private pilot's license shockingly didn't come through. He had to have been completely deflated, but he immediately started on plan B and then plan C. I was impressed.
He's come a long way since Little League.
There was a day that I was bustling around in the kitchen when he came home. He leaned on the counter, and I asked specifics about his day. I was so thankful I was available because he had a lot of big things happen that day. I don't have all the answers, which he didn't need anyway, but I could offer a hug.


We love you, Graham, and we celebrate all that you are, have been, and will be!















