Mexican Riviera
Carnival Radiance
What a magical thing that between all of my siblings, our spring breaks would line up! Shafer suggested a cruise, everyone was "on board," and we booked it! The one downfall was that it was the same week as Graham's Home MTC, so he was out. That is why it worked out so perfectly that he and Matt had already enjoyed a spring break trip in Hawaii.
 |
| The Arch of Cabo San Lucas |
March 30th 2025
Callie drove me, Ava, and Grayson as far as St. George. A Sunday was the perfect time for her to try out the freeways without too much traffic. She did a great job! I told the kids that if they needed anything, to let me know and I would stop. Ava imitated what that might sound like, "Stop, stop, stop, stop, stop," said as fast as you can. We stopped for lunch in Primm, NV. I listened to Grayson laughing and chatting with the sisters. He said, "What is the point of taking a trip if you are going to be grouchy?" I love that! Also, I had to chuckle to myself because he has made many of our road-trips anything but jolly. We can laugh about it now. Still, I know he was apprehensive about cruising. He gets seasick!
I drove the California freeways to the hotel. Going slowly over speed bumps, Gray noted, "We drive very differently." We stayed the night in Long Beach with dinner at Cava. Oh, the adventure that awaits!
March 31st-April 6th 2025
It was decided that we would board the ship as early as possible—10:30 a.m. Shafer said, "Why spend money on lunch in the city when it is included on the cruise?" That made sense for a father of four hungry boys. We found the port and parking. All was going to plan. We held our breath that our documents would pan out. The Geertsen's have the craziest story about things nearly turning catastrophic last time, but we passed the test!
Oh. Boy. And so did everyone else! By that, I mean that it seemed that everyone and their dog was aboard the ship. Because no one could check into their rooms till 4:30 p.m., everyone was on the deck or eating. It felt a bit overwhelming. Grayson admitted later that he was seriously considering getting off and taking an Uber to the airport outta there! As soon as we finished our Shaq's chicken, we let someone else use our table. It was hard to even find a place to sit. Gray was not liking this vibe. He said when an Auntie would say, "Gray, why don't you have a burger in each hand?" It would make him not want to eat at all. He said that watching people stuff their faces is a real turn-off.
I realized I'd rather be in the last boarding group than the first, for these reasons. This was not LG's first cruise, we spotted her sitting up on the deck, ice cream in hand, calmly enjoying the view. The ice cream! Kids were lined up and would yank the cones out so hard that three others would fall on the ground. The workers couldn't keep up fast enough. I felt for them. No doubt they could strangle each and every one of us. Once 4:30 hit, and we could go to our rooms, things turned for the better.
Unpacked, organized, and settled in our room with a movie, Gray breathed a sigh of relief, "This is niiiiiice." It was then that he admitted to nearly jumping ship. During that time, he had also purchased nausea medication and put on his wristbands. So far, so good! We watched
Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile, which was thoroughly entertaining with his comments. Things were looking up!
Grayson was very much looking forward to a week of being unplugged and leaving his phone off and out of sight. However, even on a cruise, it is the means of communication. The app is how we all communicated with each other. We were a group of 25! Also, at mealtimes, the menu was on your phone, as well as the daily itinerary. For the kiddos without a phone, things got a bit rough sometimes. Solly came to dinner in tears one evening, "I couldn't find anybody and didn't know where you all were!" More on this later.
I had to purchase internet halfway through to not lose my Duolingo streak!
Grayson was a good sport to share a room with all of us girlies. He'd watch us primp with various products, "What's in that? Should I be doing that?" We said he should and pulled him into our ways.
I took the theme nights seriously. I dressed for '80s night, both formal nights, and glow-in-the-dark night. When we passed the picture wall, Grayson would stop and find pictures of the cousins. He would get laughing and say, "I'd buy that one." It would be of three random family members, none of whom were him.
Grayson packed light, one duffel. He wore the same outfit to the formal night as he had on during the day, but grabbed his blue blazer. He imitated someone's comments, "Grayson, why didn't you dress up?" He put on the blazer. Same person, "Niiiiiiice."
I loved watching the enthusiastic crowd while swaying to Motown classics that evening.
We were all assigned ahead of time to bring a silly tee for someone in our group. Callie had Brent. She came up with a good one!
I slipped the tee over my planned outfit, a dress with pockets.
Earlier that day, when we met up with the group, I watched as the little kids tried to sneak something into an adult's pocket. Ashley explained that they were in a contest to see who could get rid of all their mini green plastic frogs without the other person noticing. I felt in my own pockets, and they were full of frogs! As it turned out, they were great souvenirs to take back to my primary kiddos.
It was fun to spend time with the group, but sometimes it wasn't logistically logical. The four of us found ourselves enjoying a game of Parcheesi while sipping on Shirley Temples in the lounge.

We enjoyed various performances and shows in the main theatre throughout the week. One afternoon boasted a former American Idol winner! We were bummed when she started with "R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to me." Like, we are done listening to that. Shafer said that when he heard her as he walked into the theater, he turned and walked out. I guess that is the difference as to why some Idol winners have platinum albums and TV shows, while others are singing cover songs to half-full auditoriums on cruise ships.

One time, we were all exiting the auditorium when Cade went into the restroom. It was just one room, and the door was closing very slowly. There he stood with a big smile, waving at everybody as they passed while waiting for it to close, which took three business days.
Some of the adults were in the buffet area chatting, and Ashley came up with a game we could play on the spot. I used it a few more times during the summer.
How can I not mention the Cruise Director, Kieran? Every time he addressed us over the PA, he'd end with, "I'll see ya when you're older," in his British accent. The most full I saw the auditorium was when he was doing a Q&A.
First Excursion—Cabo San LucasWe saw sea lions sunning themselves as we neared the famous arch. The arch could only be seen by paying for an excursion. However, the ship docks, just so, so that you can't see it. LT said that she saw it coming into port that morning...for freeeee!
We had to leave the ship to board a boat to take us to the glass-bottom boat tour. "Is this the boat?" Gray asked.
"Not yet!" He was nervous about the small, bumpy ones.
Cade found the perfect Toby Keith song, "Cabo San Lucas," to blare on his speaker.
Ava was in-between the teens and adults, said she didn't quite know who to hang with. I was happy to hang out with her. It felt like hanging with one of my besties.
Shafer and Cade did the haggling to get the best price for the boat to take us to the beach. The guide was surprised when we said we wanted to be dropped off away from downtown and the bars. We filled the entire boat! We had to pay per person. When I asked A and Gray if they had cash, they said they didn't bring any money. Ava said, "My bad." She has traveled all over, but I guess when with mom, I'm the mom. Gray was like, "Cash? For what?" I had enough for all of us, but forwent the massage on the beach. I didn't forgo buying a bobble-head turtle when a young girl placed it on my leg, while her mom stood off in the distance, pulling at my heartstrings. They know this. I am sure I would toughen up if I went there all the time.
It felt amazing to have the sun on our backs. It seems like the first time we were actually warm. The air on the decks of the ship was surprisingly chilly. Here, the sand was so hot it burned our feet. I was glad to have my water shoes. As we lay on the sand and baked, someone suggested we all get up and run into the ocean at the same time. We did so as we whooped and hollered. Probably looked like some weird initiation. Our group was a target anyway; we had all sorts of merchants come by. The guy selling fruit parked his cart in front of us till he was plumb out. A good day for him.
We docked in Cabo for two days. On the second day, we went shopping. People returned to the boat with such items as Ray
Bars. In the shops, items didn't seem much cheaper than in the States, but we bought some treasures anyway. We had reloaded on cash from the ATM on the ship. I found a platter that Ava tried to describe to Callie. She said, "If mom were a platter..."
I was glad that I had brought a Z pack. Callie ended up sick and was flat in bed, running a fever. Ava suggested I give it to her. I started her on the strong antibiotic, and within a day, she bounced back. I have learned from others to not mention sickness to the crew because then they will quarantine ALL of you to your room. We just told our very kind, oh-so-helpful, room service man that we didn't need service that day. I hope he sat on his own bed for a while. Room service personnel work too hard and don't seem to see the light of day!
Some in our group bought penicillin at the local pharmacy. I know too much to buy pills in Mexico. (I hope they have naloxone on hand:/)
I didn't see Callie a ton during the day on this trip; she was always busy with cousins, which was how it should be. She said they hung out in the parents' cabin. Eeek. I didn't know this. I asked her why they didn't hang out in our cabin. She said, "I told them that my mom wouldn't like it."
I assured her, "My sisters feel the same way. Trust me."
Second Shore Excursion—Ensenada
We got in line to leave the ship and saw that we had quite a line ahead of us. A few of us opted to go back to our cabins and wait. For this reason, the girls and I were separated from the rest of the group. Once ashore, and practically bumped right into our clan.
Downtown was better than what had been described to us. Lots of shopping and colorful streets—but trying to enjoy guac and chips at full price while being serenaded for tips—it's a bit much!
Grayson wanted a BYU backpack, but figured it was a long shot. Hartman said, "I see one over there." He was pointing across the street. I told him to keep pointing. I squinted and followed his arm. At the tip of his finger was the pack, which Grayson bought. I got a bag and a pair of sandals.
The guys were antsy to get back on the ship to watch the Final Four Basketball game being shown poolside.
Other sports on the ship were when Hartman and Cade were the last two in the Basketball tournament. Hartman for the win! Swoosh!
We were looking to find a table to eat our Guy Burgers when we saw Ollie. He was alone, eating. We joined him. I began a conversation about how, on the cruise, he can basically go where he wants. He surprised me with, "Yeah, but you're alone a lot." He explained that if you get separated from the group you are with, that is it, they are gone. Thus, he was dining alone. He was all too eager to bring us ice cream or whatever else we wanted. I asked him about the obstacle course. He excitedly said he'd do it with me.
While we waited in line, Sam came up to us and said, "Ollie, where'd you go?"
Sam's side of the story is that they were all playing hide and seek when Ollie took off for good.
Ollie shrugged, "I had to use the bathroom."
So that was that. These kids crack me up!
The obstacle course was about to close for the day, and we were some of the last in line, so we went
twice!

We celebrated both Zeke's 16th and Scarlett's 17th birthdays while on the ship. Quite the celebrations!
Though the crew does a great job making everyone feel like it's their birthday.
Everyday.
For first-time cruisers, our kids really enjoyed themselves! For veteran cruises, it was just another sail.
This guy knows his ship.

We drove home in one day after leaving the ship by 9 a.m. on April 6th. Callie's sickness was now just a cough. I don't think any of us could listen to that cough much longer. "Stop, stop, stop, stop, stop." We again stopped in Primm, this time for cough syrup.
I was still in bed the next morning when Graham peeked in, all wide-eyed and smiling. Buttoned up in his white shirt, he was glowing! "Hi, Momma! How was your trip?" One week into the MTC, and he was happy and looking outward. I was sad to only have a couple of days to experience it all with him.