Mallerie's Surprise May 27, 2011

Mallerie’s friend Maddi cornered me after sacrament meeting and asked if she could throw a surprise party for Mallerie the following Friday at our house. I said, “Sure.” She said, “Great, I’ll call you and tell you what you need to buy.” Is this how this works? I don’t recall that a friend has ever thrown a surprise party for one of my kids before so I wasn’t sure on the protocol. However, I didn’t mind because this meant I wouldn’t be in charge of throwing a party. I don’t know what Maddi was thinking but she straight away went to Mallerie and said, “Too bad you’re mom said NO when I asked if I could throw you a surprise party this Friday.” Then every day at school Maddi would say, “I really wish we could have had a party on Friday…oh, and can I get a list of all your friends.” So surely Mallerie had to have been on to it in some way.
However, when Friday arrived I told her she needed to babysit till Katrina got home from her babysitting job because Matt and I were leaving to Lehi for the NKAAFN/Daddy’s birthday. She said she smelled cake, I told her it was for the NKAAFN and I didn’t want the kids getting into it (hehe it was really for her). We were looking through the Walgreen’s ad and I pointed out some colored socks on sale that she had been wanting. Since the ad was only good for one more day she asked if we could go get some. Perfect. Since we always get Papa Murphy’s on Friday I ordered it for us to pick up on our way back and was online getting coupon codes when Matt walked in panicked that I hadn’t left with her yet. “Come on Mallerie, let’s go get pizza!” Eeeeesy fella, it’s supposedly a surprise! Anyway we didn’t get the socks but we got pizza and a video and came home. I thought I’d hear, “Surprise!” as soon as Mallerie rounded the corner of the mud room but instead: dead pan silence. I found Katrina talking on the phone in my closet. I mouthed, “Where’s the party?” She answered the same way, “In her room.” I asked Mallerie, “See if you can find dad because we need to get going.” Downstairs she was calling for him. I finally just said, “Check in your room.” “SURPRISE!” I think by then she really was surprised because of some quick covering up and the empty house when we came home.
I couldn’t stay for her party because I had my own to get to. According to Katrina the girls were all really annoying and screaming and running around and going on scavenger hunts and dancing in the rain and playing Just Dance on the Wii really loud for 5 1/2 hours. So basically, it sounds like they had a great time and it’s probably best I wasn’t involved because after all, ignorance is bliss. It really is.
I was off at Thai House with my favorite people and then back to the Taylors for games, YouTube watching, and some chocolate cake to make ya bawl from Magleby’s Fresh. Skip the napkin go straight for the tissue.