![]() |
| A friend posted this to FB. We were down on the floor! |
I would have been crazy to pass up the chance to see the U2 360 tour FOR FREE. The catch was that I would be a volunteer beforehand. My aunt Linda had connections with someone and hooked me Lindsey and Ashley up. I arrived about an hour and a half before them so I parked in the VIP parking (yeah ME!) and eventually found my check in station. I was given a fluorescent EVENT STAFF vest (more like a penny) and was herded into a group. After being ushered here and there we finally were directed to check point 2 to search bags as people entered Rice Eccles Stadium. Without an ounce of training someone plopped down the first bag. I didn’t even know what I was checking for! I rummaged around in the bag for a bit and then said, “Enjoy the show!” The girl next to me said, “You aren’t supposed to put your hands IN their bag.” Oh. I also learned they couldn’t have outside food or drink. Lemme just say, I was pretty lenient, I mean what is a bag of M&M’s gonna do to cause a problem?
Linda called my cell and said the lady who was in charge was looking for me. So I called Debbi (her name) to tell her where I was. The supervisor by me said, “Off the phone, say good bye, hang up!” I realized I was tethered to this station and started worrying I’d never hook up with Ashley and Lindsey. I was told I could take a break later but that I needed, “To come right back!!!” I hurried back to the check-in station to plea my case that I think I’m in the wrong spot but some guy won’t let me go.” A supervisor there said he’d walk back with me to straighten things out. As soon as we got there he said,
‘’Yeah, you need to stay here.” Wussup??? Ashley and I couldn’t seem to get in touch with each other and I realized that as the concert got closer to starting I needed to be INSIDED the stadium or I may miss my chance to even see the show. I slipped away discreetly from the check-in station and soon realized I could go ANYWHERE in that vest! I walked down on the field close to the stage and was exiting the other side when HALLELUJAH I ran into Lindsey and Ashley. We decided to stay on the field cause the concert was nearly beginning but we didn’t know if we could. Another supervisor walked by and said, “Five feet apart ladies.” We did as we were told and couldn’t believe that THAT was where we would be watching Bono and the band! Seriously, stone throwing distance. I looked down at Ashley and she mouthed, “I can’t stop laughing.” As the show wore on we inched closer together. We couldn’t talk because of the noise. Ashley was screaming something in my ear and still I had no idea what she was saying. It was LOUD. I called Matt so he could hear it live. It was a great concert! During With or Without You another supervisor came and told us to follow him, “Uh-oh.” He placed Lindsey and Ashley in a walk way outside the stadium to stop people from running on the bark and bushes. He took me further down and told me to keep people from coming over the metal barriers. In front of me were rows of cars already running. As the show ended we realized these were the cars for the band! And who do you know got in the car right in front of me, “Bono!!!! Over here Bono!!!” I was waving hysterically. He was RIGHT there! So cool. Linda met us at Village Inn afterwards while we came down off our high and I slumbered into bed close to 3 am. What a night!!!
