Mother’s Day sets off a string of events and celebrations in May with Grayson’s birthday sometimes the same day. Mine follows nine days later on the 18th. I’ll sound funny complaining about being 35 but this is the first birthday where I feel sort of…old. To pour lemon juice on a wound, the radio was on in the car and the DJ was publicizing a “hot momma” contest in honors of Mother’s Day. He said the two categories for entries were ages 18-34, and 35 and over. I would be in the same category as my granny. Then again, she is one hot momma!
To commemorate this jump into the next category we went as a Family to the Garden Restaurant in SL. Katrina had stayed home from school sick that day so she unfortunately stayed behind. We parked underground and then rode the elevator up to the 10th floor of the Joseph Smith Building. As we were looking out at the temple I noticed Graham’s pants looked wet. I felt them and they were SOPPING wet. He must have wet them when he was asleep in the car. When it was time to be seated I noticed the chairs were fabric. I asked for a booster so he at least could sit on that. The car seemed too far away to get the diaper bag. Then during dinner when Callie came to talk with me I noticed that she had also soaked her pants! Such is an outing with kids. Still, I wanted them there for the birthday dinner. I was glad they were there to watch me set a red balloon through the roof that they opened just for me with my wish attached. The hostess reassured me the balloon was biodegradable; “We are obligated to tell you so.” I had all sorts of wishes written on the card: health, happiness, peace… Matt gave me a lovely fresh water pearl necklace/earring set at dinner. What was sweet was that he had seen it in the Fred Meyer Jewelry ad on Sunday and knew right away that was what he wanted to get me. I have it on as I type.
The grounds were every bit as soggy as the kid’s pants or we would have walked around a bit. We snapped a few photos of the MAGNIFICENT grounds before heading home. When I was crawling into bed that night I saw a note on my pillow from Katrina: Mom, I’m sorry I couldn’t come tonight LI hope you had a good day. Happy Birthday! I love you. Love, Katrina.
Made my day.