Mother's/Birth Day May 2014


On Mother's Day Sunday the day started out with the same routine. The boys put on their Sunday best before taking a bath or shower. We told Graham he needed to take one and he was so sad and said he already did. But his hair was dry and he had been wearing his Sunday clothes since he woke up. It wasn't till we were near leaving for church that I realized, he really DID take a bath. I felt so horrible sitting down at church. He was so sad. Our ward recently moved back to the church right by our house. It's a smaller chapel and the only seats we could find together were two side benches. Four of the kids sat in front of us. As I sat there feeling crummy, I thought, "I don't want to feel like this on Mother's Day." I borrowed Callie's notebook and drew a train for Graham with an apology letter. I handed it up to him and watched his little head move back and forth as he read. He turned around with the brightest eyes and biggest smile. I was forgiven. It felt wonderful. I admire the purity of children.

I knew that I couldn't stop with five other kids sitting there. I wrote a note for each child and drew something that reminded me of them. It gave me a chance to reflect on how each of them are individuals and what I think is special about each one. The notes were pretty silly. But that is what I am...still I didn't find any in the trash;) I will tell you why I am grateful for this moment and why I chose to share it, because it was the last time I can remember sitting with my family of 8 at church. Katrina announced soon after that she would be attending the singles ward after she graduated in just a couple of weeks.

It's really weird to all of a sudden have one of your kids not sitting on the bench. I treasured those times.

Callie wanted her note taped to an empty oatmeal box so she could decorate it more. She even took it to school and had her class glue sequins all over it. At least she won't be leaving any time soon.
The very next Sunday was my birthday, I felt guilty hogging another Sunday all for myself. I had church meetings late that afternoon. Matt and the kids made me a cake while I was gone.

That cake.

We bought a case of Western Family white cake mix and it is baaaaaad. It doesn't call for oil. It must be a misprint because the cake does.not.turn.out. Matt tells me how he and the kids had quite the adventure while I was gone attempting to make a beautiful cake for me by dumping it, watching it fall apart, putting it back in the pan, figuring out icing that was too runny then too thick. It was.....interesting looking. They thought I was going to lecture them about how to properly make a cake but I didn't, I laughed along with them. Matt says he has good memories of making that cake with the kids. That makes me happy. Last year I got a Backer's this year a Bocer's. Both special.


Happy 38th Birthday to me!
A day or two after my birthday I went to Walmart and bought Celine's album that came out last fall. You know, I thought for sure I'd get that album for Christmas, when I didn't I waited till Valentines, nope. After Mother's Day and my Birthday passed I said, "I don't think I'm going to get that album unless I buy it myself." I am sort of glad I bought it when I did. I played it over and over and it became the anthem for Katrina's last weeks of High School and Graduation. 
It will forever stir up memories of that tender time.