FORE-Teen! Phoenix—March 1st-3rd, 2021

When Graham has a passion, he is PASSIONATE. You will recall two years ago when his passion for Titanic was at full throttle, I had the crazy idea for us to drive cross-country to the Titanic Museum in Branson, MI for his birthday. Graham's current passion is flying. He's OBSESSED. Matt orchestrated this birthday by booking flights to Phoenix for Graham to celebrate his fourteenth birthday. We gave Graham advanced notice so he could prepare. This meant simulating the flight ahead of time and getting details of the plane and airports. 
We arrived at the airport in plenty of time on Monday, March 1st. The airport was part of the whole experience. We couldn't get enough of sitting at the big windows watching construction on the new underground tunnel. The vantage point was so great that it didn't surprise us when we saw construction supervisors come with their clipboards to observe. They were more than happy to answer our questions.

 This picture shows where the new underground tunnel to the other terminal will be. 


I suppose that after seeing how willing the construction workers were to impart information, Matt was encouraged, "I'm going to ask the pilots if Graham can see the cockpit." Between Corona and post 9/11, I figured there was no way.

As we walked onto the plane, I heard Matt ask, "Hey, I have a son who wants to be a pilot, is there any way he can look in the cockpit?" They were willing! Callie and I stood around awkwardly for a while chatting with the stewardess, till finally, we took our seats. We could see Matt in the door of the cockpit. They were up there forever! Graham could not wipe the smile off his face as he made his way down the aisle.
The pilots had been so generous with him! They let him sit in the seat and be part of the pre-flight checklist. 
Thanks, Delta!
                                                                                                                       
Of course, Callie had saved the window seat for Graham since it was his birthday trip. He used my phone to film the take-off. 


The flight was so short. Was it even an hour? As we waited for our bags, the kids asked me how we were getting to our hotel. I wasn't even sure. I said, "I guess we'll see!" Matt guided us towards the rental car place. "Looks like we are renting a car," I surmised. We were very much just along for the ride. We flew out the day after the farewell, so my mind had been on other things. Matt had booked us a studio at the Canyon Villas in beautiful Phoenix.
As we passed Thunderbird, I texted my dad to confirm where he went to Graduate School while they had lived in Glendale. With my limited knowledge, I gave the kids a little history. 

Once settled, Callie set up a game of Rat-a-Tat Cat. Our deck butted up to the walking path. The kids noted, "Everyone here is old." Like Matt says, "Do what the old people are doing—they have it figured out."

 Later, we picked up groceries at one of the most beautiful grocery stores I've been to. The selection!

That night, with freshly popped kettle corn, we started a Diary of a Wimpy Kid marathon, which provided lots of giggles.

Usually, they give us a resort schedule upon check-in. They didn't this time, but I found it on my own. They can't hide the activities from me. I was outside for Yoga, bright and early the next morning. Ironically, my friend from the Wasatch Aquatics Center had called that morning to say that FLOGA was canceled. Not to worry, I was off to a Yoga class anyway. Because I am used to doing Yoga on the water, doing it on land seemed almost too easy.                                                                                                           I totally couldn't find our room afterward! The buildings all looked the same. I realized I had just happily followed the family anytime we had gone back and forth to that point. Along for the ride. I was grateful when I saw Matt and the kids playing shuffleboard so I could join up with them.                                                                                                                                                         Both Graham and Callie had forgotten their sunglasses. Not a good idea when going to Phoenix. We got some aviators for Graham as a birthday gift and then scouted some cheapies for C at Ross. We convinced the boys to come back later for more shopping.

FORE-TEEN March 2, 2021
The birthday celebration was at Top Golf. None of us have been, except for Matt. He showed us the ropes. Since we were celebrating, they brought us injectable donut holes. Have you ever heard of such a thing? We injected them ourselves with either raspberry or chocolate. 

We liked everything about this place.




That afternoon, we spent time at the pool. 

I had to text a picture to Mallerie of yet another big talker. He held his audience "captive" for hours.

 We ate a nice dinner on the patio where Matt grilled Graham's favorite, steak. He grilled me up some crab cakes and veggies. 

Dinner was followed by a game of pickleball and chatting by the fire...in place of birthday candles.

Instead of crab cakes or regular cake, Graham set his sights on store-bought brownies. This kid was living his bliss. We've all retired the blowing-all-over-the-dessert thing, right???
Graham is such a light in our lives and in our family. Gone are the days of me writing down the funny little phrases he'd say. Now he uses bigger words than I do. Taking a flight with him was an educational experience in and of itself. I know whatever he chooses to do in life, we will be in awe.
We love him lots!

This get-away was just long enough to rejuvenate the soul.
At the SLC Airport, we peeked at the construction progress before going outside to meet Ava.
 
This trip was only offered to the brochure family. I am sure Ava and Grayson had a fine enough time at home without us. 😁