BALLOON FESTIVAL


This was the craziest ambition of them all since the magazine said the balloons launch at 6:30 am. Mallerie was the only one even remotely interested and I was even on the fence till Matt didn’t seem to think I could do it. This made getting up 5:30 am seemingly easy on the morning of Saturday July 3rd. Mallerie bounced out of bed and we enjoyed the drive down the canyon. The lake looks different in those early morning hours. At the festival we learned that though the balloons were inflated they were going to be delayed by at least an hour if not indefinitely because of the wind. They kept sending up black tester balloons to see how fast they turned. The goal was to have them go up and up and up. We figured we had time to eat breakfast at McDonalds. They did have a Kiwanis Club all-you-can-eat breakfast going on but I couldn’t pass up a McGriddle when given the opportunity. Yes, McD’s was crowded but I was amazed at how clean the place was and everyone was so patient and smiling. I love those Provo crowds.

In the end we were able to see three balloons launch. They sailed immediately towards Salt Lake as predicted, but that’s not my problem now is it.