FREEDOM FESTIVAL 2010


Every year when I get Provo’s Freedom Festival Magazine in the mail I tell myself this is the year that I am going to do more of the activities. A few new ones I tried this year were:

CARILLON CONCERT 6/17/10
You know those bells you hear chiming on the hour at BYU? Well those are the Carillon Bells. I have heard them my entire life while over at my grandma’s house on Stadium Avenue. The same house we gather to watch the fireworks at on the 4th. I was able to round up some company by recruiting my mom and Eliza and her girls to go with me to the Carrillon Concert where Carrillonneurs play hymns, classical pieces, and Broadway tunes on the bells. We walked over from my grandmas house and I couldn’t stop commenting on what an ideal night it was. The air was the perfect temperature and sweetly fragrant. The kids mostly ran around during the concert portion and I’ll be the first to admit that after the first couple of songs they started to all sound the same. We joked that it would be an even better night if there weren’t that racket of the bells going on in the background. The walk back to Gran’s was just as enjoyable. I snapped a photo of Granny’s house as we approached. It looks so nestled from a distance. We ate dinner at Wendy’s afterwards. Game seven of the NBA finals was playing and crowds gathered around the flat screens for the final minutes. I can see why people gather in groups to watch sporting events. The poor guy working the drive-thru kept coming out and trying to watch as his headset would beep and he’d have dart into the back. We are Celtics fans ourselves so I knew Grayson who was watching with my dad would be disappointed at the loss. When I told him dad was cheering for the yellow team he switched sides real fast, “We won!”

Eliza kept calling the night a little slice of heaven and I have to agree it was simply delightful. You’d have to
be a real moron to have thought otherwise. I arrived home smiling and smelling of Provo.