I don't even feel like posting anything about it, but since it was quite a big deal for me I will at least mention it. I was called this spring to be the youth special projects director. I was in charge of our wards video for the stake film festival. It was so hard! Getting the youth coordinated was tricky, but doable. I loved getting to know the youth on that level. They are awesome. I spent the week before spring break in a filming blitz and we were able to get all the scenes filmed in three consecutive nights. Editing would start after spring break. That is where I ran into one trouble after another and spent countless hours and tears over it. One of the hardest things I have ever done. At my breaking point Matt said, "That's it, I am emailing the stake so they know how hard this is." I said, "Oh, you don't have to do that...but if you do make sure you include this, and that, and this, and that, and THIS!
The film festival was on May 2nd at the HS Auditorium. I hadn't even made up my mind if I was going to go because I was so anxious about the whole thing (you know, cole sores, headaches, no sleep...) Last minute I took Graham and Callie and we sat in the back. It was good I was there because they called all the ward directors up on stage TWICE. It's a long walk from the back. My fears were eased after the very first video, ours was going to be fine. The film requirements were that each film had to contain: an act of service, group singing, a gospel message, the phrase "arise and shine forth", and a rubber chicken.
Up until editing day we had included everything but that rubber chicken. On my way to the High School to edit I picked up the chicken from the stake lady then set it on a fence and started filming. Mallerie wrote in the script that we would show it with the sun rising and hear "cock-a-doodle-do." As soon as I shut the camcorder off, the chicken fell to the ground. It looked funny so I tried to get that on film by setting the chicken back on the fence and waiting. Nothing. I tried throwing rocks at it but then the camera moved too much. I was just going to give up on this ridiculous spectacle when none other than Katrina rode by on her bike and was able to come to my rescue after asking peculiarly, "Mom? Whaaaaat are you doing???" Even with her two free hands it still took a while for her to hit the chicken;)
Katrina had also been helpful before filming even started by being the casting director. She also filled in for a character one night of filming, as did Mallerie. Mallerie stole the show with her, "I love gum!" line. You'd have to see it to see what I mean but I don't have a copy! Matt was out of town so he has never even seen it. That was partly why I was SO frustrated during the process of getting this film done. I knew it was tons of effort and time that would be for a five minute video that people would never even see or think about again. Matt calls it "just spinning your wheels."
I felt like a TON of bricks was off my shoulders after the festival. I pulled into the garage and realized what a warm night it was. I hopped on my bike and rode around the block in the dark. The wind wipping through my hair felt like it was blowing the whole traumatic thing away. On the way up my street one of the YW leaders passed with a car full of rowdy YW, one of which was Mallerie, "We love you!" Pride got the better of me, or maybe I am a bit of a show-off, but I couldn't let them pass me and peddled up the street faster than I ever have. By the time I got home my legs were solid charley horses I had to have Ava help me to even pull my pants off. Getting older and having to learn to be humble is hard work.