“Happy Christmas”

I guess you could say we made up for the lack of parties in 2008 by being swarmed with them this year. It was great! I remember going to the famous Tucker Christmas Party growing up and being toted around by a loving uncle who had forgotten I was in a head lock under his arm as he continued to waltz around greeting people. I remember running around the church and hiding and playing till I was so hot I had to run outside and throw snow on my face. Those were the days. The Tucker party has gone on every year since then but as the first generation dies off and the second generation has grandchildren of their own, we the third generation haven’t been invited. Things changed this year when the third generation was once again invited. However, the invitation was clear: NOT FOR THE FOURTH GENERATION. Can you imagine the chaos? This year the Tucker party was held at Heritage State Park on December 18th. Matt and I had a bit of a walk through the Park before getting to the little cabin it was in but I must say on a beautiful winters night it was quite lovely. The Pioneer houses were all aglow and fires were burning along the way. As soon as I saw the sign “Tucker Party” I started singing under my breath “frosted window panes…” because it was truly that charming. It was nice to see family members I haven’t seen in years. It’s true that the older you get the more interest you have in your relatives. During dinner Matt got up to refill our drinks. The drink dispenser was one of those glass ones with the brass knob at the bottom. Matt turned it too much and the knob shot out and the entire jug started leaking onto the floor. Though he looked around the floor for the knob he came up empty handed. It wasn’t till I was almost to the end of my drink that I noticed the knob at the bottom of my glass.
After dinner carolers came in to serenade us. During which they walked around with mistletoe. They didn’t know who was a couple and who wasn’t so when they held it over a brother and sister they got an odd look and shake of the head. Matt and I obliged.
 Later the tables were moved aside for us to do the Virginia reel. This got those windowpanes really frosted up as you can envision.

We were each given a poinsettia to take home on our way out (seems to happen when you are one of the last to leave) and we rode the trolley with family down to the parking lot. Happy Christmas.