We were signed up to do Family Home Evening at the Care Center again the last Monday in April. This time however, it was at a different location so we left in plenty of time incase we couldn’t find it. But we drove right to it and we were walking in early at five to six. The elderly were all sitting around in a great room, “Oh look! They’re here! And they are EARLY!” Needless to say we felt welcome right off the bat and their enthusiasm rubbed off on us. We took a moment to set up our trusty Plan of Salvation puzzle and passed out the words to the songs we would be singing. I went around with the kids and introduced us and got their names. Those that could sang their hearts out during the lesson. We appreciated it since we aren’t exactly singers ourselves. When we were done we were asked to stay and play the traditional Monday night game of Button Button. I still chuckle as I recall all of us sitting around with our palms pressed together as to not give it away that we did not have the button. On the back row was a lady named Jane that looked to be asleep while her hands rested in her lap. But the director was determined that everyone should have a turn and called out, “Jane, do you have it?” Without opening her eyes Jane mumbled and shook her head from side to side, “I don’t have it.” “Who do you think has it Jane?” “I don’t know,” she answered without opening her eyes. After the last round everyone had been asked and no one seemed to have the button. Katrina was the one who had given it out so we asked whom she gave it to. She pointed to a lady in a wheel chair. Sure enough the button was discovered on the ground between the woman’s shoes.
You know FHE can really make for some great comedic moments in general. Like a few months ago we did an activity where there was an obstacle course set up in the dining room. We took turns being blindfolded and then were led through by the voice of another family member. On Matt’s turn I moved all the chairs aside and just called out fake instructions, “Now take three steps to the left, now take two forward…” Of course he wasn’t hitting anything. “You are doing great!” By the time he took off the blindfold I was laughing so hard I couldn’t even see.